Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
Just an fyi to look out for, I put new AC DELCO OEM styles in my LB7 the 1st of the year. They came in the GM boxes and looked to be the real deal. Put them in and they don't open until 190 and 195. I haven't really worried about it as I don't mind it running a bit warmer since I don't tow much anymore. But it went from running 180 idling and 185 running down with my old stats(before the rubber seal failed on one), to idling at 188-190, and running 195 down the road.
I noticed the same thing when I did mine in Oct 2016 my 02 at the previous chevy dealership I worked at truck held 28 in of mercury when I vac and filled it though showing me I had no leaks I just figured it was some of gm's redesign to address emission concerns with newer as well as older vehicles still on the road.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
There is one. The greenish bolt in the center of the housing.
I just went and looked. You are correct. Donít know how I missed that.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
That's is correct but you still have the chance of an enclosed air pocket in the reservoir and possibly the top of the radiator they are slightly higher than the bleeder screw in the t-stat housing. leading to a possibly trapped air pocket that could make its way into the block and or head and stay put causing a hot spot yes theory says the water pump moves fluid theory also says coolant expands and the air should self bleed in to the reservoir. me personally I vac and fill everything I turn a wrench on really don't like nor want come backs you know
Gotcha. I donít doubt vac n fill is a better way of doing it.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

I always take the small hose loose at the radiator above the trans cooler lines and clamp it off. That way I can burp out the top of the radiator. I will even put a floor jack or park it so that side of the radiator is higher. Fill it up, run it until the stats open a few times, let it cool down some, then take that hose loose and burp the air out of the top of the radiator. Has worked very well for me.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
I always take the small hose loose at the radiator above the trans cooler lines and clamp it off. That way I can burp out the top of the radiator. I will even put a floor jack or park it so that side of the radiator is higher. Fill it up, run it until the stats open a few times, let it cool down some, then take that hose loose and burp the air out of the top of the radiator. Has worked very well for me.
I like that idea you must be or have been a field service engineer/technician or have been in the past. Think on your feet and in a hurry
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 AM
IBEW 15

Is there a gasket under the t-stat housing or is it just a machine fit? And the rubber on the thermostat seals it?

'04.5 GMC RC
All Stock Rust Free
Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Correct, machine surface the oring type gaskets on the thermostat create the seal. Just fwiw I take the stats out reseat the housing pull the drain plug out of radiator and flush til clear water is seen with hose in coolant reservoir just make sure any and all dexcool is properly flushed than install new stats and vac and fill as long as 28 in of mercury is held for 5 minutes I fill it and it's out the door

Old 11-07-2017, 04:50 AM
Wanna be puller!

I've used the Mishimoto low temp thermostat's and never had any issues.

2011 CHEVY 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison LTZ

2005 CHEVY 2500HD RCLB 2WD Duramax/Allison

2002 GMC 2500HD RCLB Duramax/allison 2.6 puller
Special thanks to:
- Danville performance, Mark.
- Suncoast transmission's, Andrew.
- Wehrli custom fab, Jason.
- Profab, Rick
- Turbo performance, Levi.
- HSP, Joe and Dave.
- SoCal diesel.
- Wagler competition, Jeramy.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Daggum farm truck

I have always had good luck out of the Mishimoto thermostats. Unlike most aftermarket thermostats for our trucks, they actually have the rubber seal that seals the thermostat closed instead of a metal on metal seal.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM
NOT IN OREGON

I got mishimoto in mine, low temp for AZ. I'm in love with them.
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Just an fyi to look out for, I put new AC DELCO OEM styles in my LB7 the 1st of the year. They came in the GM boxes and looked to be the real deal. Put them in and they don't open until 190 and 195. I haven't really worried about it as I don't mind it running a bit warmer since I don't tow much anymore. But it went from running 180 idling and 185 running down with my old stats(before the rubber seal failed on one), to idling at 188-190, and running 195 down the road.
The ferm I've been thinking about the temp subject for awhile now since the last post I wonder if a company like dei radiator relief for diesels would help lower temps back to 180-185 or is it snake oil in a bottle like other claimed products?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Just fwiw has anyone tried the dei radiator relief for diesels? Or is it a hype? Just curious if the stuff works