Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Hotrodder

Sump is a fine and easy idea. But if it's an old tank,keep some extra filters on hand, as the bottom of that tank is likely gooey hehe
Built front end
All the bolt ons
33x11.5 on 17x9 -12
HB/brake upgrades
Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Hotrodder

I don't like sumps for a truck that gets used. I got scratches on the bottom of my tank from driving back roads, hunting, etc. Tons of people have made 500hp with a bigger straw and billet pickup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Hotrodder

It's a risk, but you can put a hole in your tank or yank a brake line off just as easy.

The sump is just easy to do. I'd like a toolbox fuel tank one of these days, best of all world's except bed space haha
Built front end
All the bolt ons
33x11.5 on 17x9 -12
HB/brake upgrades
Old 11-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Heavy & Slow

I'm at 660 wheel HP on the stock fuel pickup, and my AirDog II-4G DF-165 is whisper quiet, can't hear it at idle even outside the truck.

You're only fighting gravity to prime the pump if you run it dry. Once it is primed, it will siphon, and head pressure at the pump will be identical to a sump.

I'm with Dozerboy, a sump is a big risk if you use your tuck. I've scraped most the paint off my Allison pan, and it's the shallow pan (for exactly that reason). I guess if your truck is a mall crawler or pavement princess, a sump will be fine. But it is amazing how much stuff scrapes the bottom of a truck off-road.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM
NM Duramax

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM
FNG

What are you trying to achieve with the air dog. I have that same pump and only really put it on because I replaced my injectors and wanted the extra filtration. I also run a cat filter up front. If that's all your after than I wouldn't worry about anything and just use it the way it comes. But like I said I would run the line all the way to the engine by passing the crappy metal lines. There is plenty of line that comes with it in the kit. All I had to do in back was lower my fuel cooler. I was able to get my hand in above the tank and take out the factory line and run the ad line to the factory pick up. Kind of a pain but beat dropping the tank in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1997 obs cclb dually powerstroke(big red)-sold but loved it.

2007 chevy 1500 crew nbs. (wifes rig)

Nate
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM
NM Duramax

I'm trying achieve exactly that. Just to help the injector life. I also have the Nictane adapter and Cat filter which I plan to install at the same time. I'll take your advice and run the line all the way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhitedd View Post
What are you trying to achieve with the air dog. I have that same pump and only really put it on because I replaced my injectors and wanted the extra filtration. I also run a cat filter up front. If that's all your after than I wouldn't worry about anything and just use it the way it comes. But like I said I would run the line all the way to the engine by passing the crappy metal lines. There is plenty of line that comes with it in the kit. All I had to do in back was lower my fuel cooler. I was able to get my hand in above the tank and take out the factory line and run the ad line to the factory pick up. Kind of a pain but beat dropping the tank in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 07:51 AM
Hotrodder

Imo if you're all about injectors, I'd leave the stock fuel filter alone and not use the cat kit . The cat doesn't have a fws. While most LPs do, why not have more fws? I kept mine with a Baldwin up front which is a better filter than the cat and has fws
Built front end
All the bolt ons
33x11.5 on 17x9 -12
HB/brake upgrades
Old 11-30-2017, 05:28 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
I don't like sumps for a truck that gets used. I got scratches on the bottom of my tank from driving back roads, hunting, etc.
I wouldn't worry about that.
https://youtu.be/n_GaBRX6SMY
Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Hotrodder

While that is very impressive and does make me think most would not have an issue. That isn't the real world and doesn't address the soft fuel line hanging below the fuel tank that can be just as bad as a hole in the tank.

We have several Duramaxes and gasser 6.0 in our Fleet that we use for construction. They do get used by some careless individuals. I have seen several scraches in a tank to the point of it weeping fuel. Ran sticks through 2 differant fuel coolers by different individuals. Tons of crushed skidplates, tcase crossmembers, and rear shock mounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

I do not like sumps. Not because of things that can hurt them but due to design.

You no longer have the return feeding the sump in low fuel situations (prevents cavitation and “1/4 tank issues”) and you basically rely on the little 1” sides to keep fuel there for the pick up tube.

Maybe I run to the end of the tank more than most but I’ve dealt this exact setup in my sand car before I had a custom tank made with a deep sump, fuel return into it and pick at the bottom. The stock basket has flappers in it that allow fuel in and next to no fuel out along with the fuel returning to the basket. This keeps the pick up submerged damn near all the time even under extreme conditions. I have a ppe pick up tube in my stock basket that gets ride of the stock dinky pick up and fits nicely in the basket so you don’t have “1/4 tank issues” either (it actually snap into place on the bottom of the basket).

I would not run fuel line all the way to the engine. The stock air dog stuff sucks and starts cracking within a year or two. The stock steel fuel lines are more than sufficient for your truck and makes setup much easier and cleaner.

So if it was me, I’d leave the pick up as is. You don’t make the power nor will the 100 be affected by the neck down of the pick up. It will keep plenty of fuel up to the cp3. Otherwise I’d get a ppe pick up. Run the return as the instructions say and hook up everything as it says. The whole point is to stop cavitation, add filtration and help longevity, you will be getting all that without needing to buy more stuff

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Gearhead

Oh my gosh lol that vid is impressive , it was way more extreme than real world experiences a sump would never go through that much torture pretty sure who's sump I'm goin to buy , it was a tossup between beans and fass , not going to lie that one hold down bolt kind of freaks me out compared to some that have bolts all the way around... but the vid helped me make up my mind.

And I agree with the above statement it makes more sense to use the factory hardlines that cannot collapse as easy and dry out overtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 PM
16's, but i keep em clean

I have made 550hp for 8 years now with out a sump and with a stock straw/pickup.. (On lb7)
2001 lb7, suncoast IV-1057 by Inglewood, JMK hidden traction bars and bump stop relocate kit, JMK S/S tie rod sleeves,QA1's, modded waste gate, EFI live ,JMK stinger exhaust, Aeromotive tsunami fuel pump , stock charger 12.71 @ 107mph
2005 lly ccsb 4x4 white all stock with a small tune.soo fresh and soo clean clean
2002 lb7 ecsb 4x4 white needs injectors and fix trans
sheet metal workers local 104
Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 AM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK777 View Post
I have made 550hp for 8 years now with out a sump and with a stock straw/pickup.. (On lb7)
You don't know what you're missing

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

I'd do the upgraded pick up tube. I cringed looking at the factory setup.