Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Gearhead

Default Super damper install, socal af cam questions

received my goodies from socal the other day. have a few questions for the pros tho about them.

with the super damper, would it be worth to pin it with the epe crank pin kit just to help it stay put, or is the interference fit enough to stop it from moving or busting the stock dowel. this will be reaching around 700hp down the track so is it worth pinning or not.

also got the standard Socal AF cam but it didn't come with a cam card or anything to identify the firing order. or even any guide on which pins to change on the ecu ? can anyone shed some light on this. i have sent an email to socal just waiting on a reply now
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLEN View Post
received my goodies from socal the other day. have a few questions for the pros tho about them.

with the super damper, would it be worth to pin it with the epe crank pin kit just to help it stay put, or is the interference fit enough to stop it from moving or busting the stock dowel. this will be reaching around 700hp down the track so is it worth pinning or not.

also got the standard Socal AF cam but it didn't come with a cam card or anything to identify the firing order. or even any guide on which pins to change on the ecu ? can anyone shed some light on this. i have sent an email to socal just waiting on a reply now
Are you doing a motor build where you are going to have the crank out? Installing a cam means you've got to pull heads which means most don't install cams until a build. If you're doing a build just have your machine shop cut it for a key. In my opinion its much better and doesn't involve you personally drilling into the crank.

Email SoCal. lzamora@socaldiesel.com is who I got my wiring info from. You will NEVER receive a cam card from SoCal.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Oughta Know Better

If you do not want to pull heads(understandable) you could pull the pushrods and flip the motor over on the stand. The lifters will fall away from the cam enough that you can exchange the cam this way.
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Hotrodder

Yall need to think outside the box lol. You can do cam in the truck with engine in place. wood dowels in place of pushrods and ziptie every 2 dowels together. done countless cummins, and ls engines like that

Lots of thanks to Diesels Unlimited, Evan@limitless & Mark@danville
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 AM
Gearhead

the engine is out and heads off, only doing a mild build at this stage so the crank is staying in, just not sure if i should pin the balancer or not.

and also got a reply from socal and got all the info so all good
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
the engine is out and heads off, only doing a mild build at this stage so the crank is staying in, just not sure if i should pin the balancer or not.

If the engine is out pull the crank and get it keyed. It is minimal effort and if you're doing a build (rods/pistons) or even replacing the pistons you need to get it balanced.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:

I did it for that little extra safety margin !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 AM
Gearhead

Cheers torqued2dmax im going to pin it just to make sure