Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Gearhead

Default Loud Ticking Noise When Cold

I have a 2008 LMM that has 194,000 miles on it. It has the Turbo Brake and DPF delete tune and for the most part it is stock. Every time I start the truck when the truck is cold I hear this loud noise / knock coming from the engine. I can hear the noise from inside the cab with the windows rolled up. It gets louder on take off, but as the truck warms up the noise goes away. It is louder then a ticking noise, but sounds more like a quiet knock. Any ideas what this maybe? Thank you.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD CC/LB 4WD LMM. MBRP 4" Exhaust, 195,000 Miles, DPF Delete and Turbo Brake, 2013 Hard Drive OEM Navigation, 2012 - 2013 Onstar Module with Remote Start and Lock via Onstar application.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Hotrodder

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove RPO LMM. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70C (158F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block crankshaft journals bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu Hino Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

Is this what you are hearing?

03 2500 cc/sb sierra
s366, MLG & GMAX5, EFI live
575hp 1063 tq
12.7 @ 105 mph SOLD!!

Ken
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Hotrodder

Same noise in my truck, thought it was a small exhaust leak.

Thankx
Amsoil everywhere
NBS Emblems
MBRP Downpipe & 4" Straight pipe exhaust
PPE bleed screw & CAT fuel filter adapter w/ filter housing spacer
Leveled w/ Cognito UCA
Deviant Transmission Lines
Old 10-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03spoolindmax View Post
INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove RPO LMM. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70C (158F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block crankshaft journals bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu Hino Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

Is this what you are hearing?
I have heard and read about the Typewriter Ticking Noise, but it a little louder then a tick. It sounds like a faint knocking noise. This is close though, but I do hear it in the cab and is more noticeable with the windows up.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD CC/LB 4WD LMM. MBRP 4" Exhaust, 195,000 Miles, DPF Delete and Turbo Brake, 2013 Hard Drive OEM Navigation, 2012 - 2013 Onstar Module with Remote Start and Lock via Onstar application.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM
08 2500 LTZ LMM

I Have the same ticking noise! 2008 with only 37K miles. I just changed the oil for the first time (since I owned it) and noticed it after that. It only does it at idle, more when cold. I used Rotella T oil and thought maybe the difference in what the previous owner/dealer used for oil may have caused it. It scared me at first.. but then I figured it's a diesel and it makes noises! But that write up is dead on! HAHA!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Gearhead

I have an 05 lly and my truck never had this before I had a bunch of electrical problems it does seem to get louder as i accelerate the sound before electrical problems (mouse tore up under fuse block) was a faint but tolerable tick now it is much more apparent could it possible be same thing or could it have caused an issue with something else? It sounds like a knocking noise not a tick i used to just have tick
4" mbrp turbo back
ARP studs
Moonshined
Air dog II 165

Last edited by heynow2203; 12-28-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Hotrodder

Damn this is my noise to! Thanks for posting that. Mine only does it when it's warm and only at idle.
100% exergy's
Dual cp3's
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Hotrodder

Good to know about the TSB.
Edge Insight CTS - EFI Live - Diamond Eye Turbo DP - Diamond Eye 'QT' DOC delete pipe - EGR blocked - PCV reroute & resonator delete plug - T Case pump rub fix - Alum. bleeder screw - Fuel filter head spacer - WIF sensor delete plug - Fumoto oil drain valve - Tie rod sleeves - Bilstein 5100s - 265' Michelin A/T2 - Custom made mud flaps - Aux in bed fuel tank - WeatherTech DigitalFit floor mats
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM
'05 GMC SIERRA SLT CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow2203 View Post
I have an 05 lly and my truck never had this before I had a bunch of electrical problems it does seem to get louder as i accelerate the sound before electrical problems (mouse tore up under fuse block) was a faint but tolerable tick now it is much more apparent could it possible be same thing or could it have caused an issue with something else? It sounds like a knocking noise not a tick i used to just have tick
makes one wonder if maybe the mouse also damaged or removed some of the sound deadening material(s) on either side of the firewall. I also have an 05 LLY and it seems pretty loud to me. been looking at the info on this forum regarding valve lash adjustment and several are saying that after valves adjusted (a 7.5 hour job) the truck was unbelievably quieter.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
08 2500 LTZ LMM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. But this ticking became more prevalent again on my rig RIGHT after I changed the oil. Maybe the new oil viscosity brought it back. And it will probably disappear once the oil breaks down a bit.

Here's a video of the sound:
http://youtu.be/HfXcrhlkgT8
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. But this ticking became more prevalent again on my rig RIGHT after I changed the oil. Maybe the new oil viscosity brought it back. And it will probably disappear once the oil breaks down a bit.

Here's a video of the sound:
My truck does it for a few weeks then disappears every time I change the oil.
Amsoil everywhere
NBS Emblems
MBRP Downpipe & 4" Straight pipe exhaust
PPE bleed screw & CAT fuel filter adapter w/ filter housing spacer
Leveled w/ Cognito UCA
Deviant Transmission Lines
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Gearhead

02-06-01-022L: Information on Diesel Engine Ticking Noise Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70C (158F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards. This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter. This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine. Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise. Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.
4"magnaflow with dp
18x9.5 eagle alloys
Cooper stt pro 305/60/18
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM
Gearhead

I could hear mine from both sides after about 1000 miles after a oil change it went away
Hope that's all it is
4"magnaflow with dp
18x9.5 eagle alloys
Cooper stt pro 305/60/18
Old 06-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Gearhead

Oops sorry guys didn't see the bulliten was posted before I did...
4"magnaflow with dp
18x9.5 eagle alloys
Cooper stt pro 305/60/18
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Limp Mode Cowboy

Or that the thread is three years old it's all good man thanks for contributing
EFI Live By Mr. Idaho Rob

You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, you are the same organic decaying matter as everything else.. -TD