Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 AM
Oughta Know Better

Does it crank a long time before starting? If so, watch rail pressure while cranking. I know LDS is a great company, but it isn't impossible for any good shop to have a bad injector sent out ever.

I think it sounds like bent rods could be a possibility. Compression check will tell the tale.
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 AM
I May Be Lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post
Does it crank a long time before starting? If so, watch rail pressure while cranking. I know LDS is a great company, but it isn't impossible for any good shop to have a bad injector sent out ever.

I think it sounds like bent rods could be a possibility. Compression check will tell the tale.
Agreed on the compression check.

Bent rods could very well be a possibility. My buddy had a similar issue and compression was low on his(I will note it was not drastically low/not much difference between cylinders). With everything else checking out on his, we pulled the motor and found a couple bent rods.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 AM
playing with fire

I thought bent rods as being a possibility, but I don't know how letting it sit would affect that? also, Its been acting like this since the injector install just not nearly as severe. AT the time all I had was some stock trans safe tuning from Kory. And I really haven't been beating on it much. No sled pulling or 1/4 mile runs or anything like that.
s475/stock twins
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 AM
playing with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post

Doesn't crank any longer that normal to start.
s475/stock twins
Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Im just kind of curious why you havent done any actual diagnosing other than to check balance rates?

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
playing with fire

ive just been so busy building my own house/shop that I started in November there isn't really any time to do any diagnostics for me.
s475/stock twins
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzick View Post
bringing this back up. I think this is from bad injectors. Ever since I put some garbage injectors from LDS in this thing a few years back it has never started right. I fired it up tonight after it has sat for 2 weeks. smoked like crazy and had a bad miss/knock. I started noticing it wasn't going away. One balance rate is at 15, and another one was at 5. it smoked like crazy driving until it hit around 140 on the ECT. Balance rates are ok when its at operating temp. I think these two injectors have been leaking into the cylinders since I installed them. This would explain why it always blows a ton of smoke at start up.
I used Merchant Automotive’s injectors when I replaced them in my crew cab last year and they’re great. Loved their deluxe install kit. I used their upgraded stock injectors.
Daniel / Big D *DPJug #14
2003 Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab SB D/A w/ 154k+
2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 D/A w/ 160k+ miles, sprayed Bedliner, B&W Turnover
2003 Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab D/A w/ 400k+ miles, Line X sprayed bedliner, 36 gal transfer tank, air foil, B&W Turnover w/ Fiver adp (bought new)
1994 Ford E350 Uhaul 17' box 7.3 diesel / auto 186k+ miles
Sold 1996 GMC 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5 TD w/ 343k+ miles, 3000lb adjustable overload springs, Ultimate sprayed bedliner (bought new)
K&N air filters & Optima batts in all and Prolong in the oil & trannys
2003 Hitchhiker II 30.5ft RLBG Fifthwheel w/ two slides

Previously owned 1994 Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5TD, put over 120k on it
Semper Fi :saluteusa: Overcome & adapt
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Hotrodder

There have been a few cases on this site in the last few years that people have chimed in with , where they have said , why do I have 2 or 3 Qts extra oil on dip stick ? In those cases that I remember , with the help from people on this site , it was determined that a stuck injector ball that got dirt or rust from HP lines was the cause and the others were leaking return lines . Are you making any oil ?
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
There have been a few cases on this site in the last few years that people have chimed in with , where they have said , why do I have 2 or 3 Qts extra oil on dip stick ? In those cases that I remember , with the help from people on this site , it was determined that a stuck injector ball that got dirt or rust from HP lines was the cause and the others were leaking return lines . Are you making any oil ?
Stuck, bad, dirty or otherwise injector ball will cause high return rates but rarely if ever is associated with causing the fuel to get into the oil.

Cracked injector bodies or loose return lines on the injectors or even a seeping high pressure line at the injector could leak fuel into the oil. And bad seal on the CP3

Leaking nozzles could also wash down the cylinder wall and get into the oil if bad enough
Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 PM
playing with fire

Sorry, been busy. I'm still going to upload that video. Monday morning marks a week since the last time it ran. I'll start it again then and take a video for comparison. And no, I am not making oil.
s475/stock twins