Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
So did you change the water pump??? I got hung up at step 2 Just kidding nice write up!
I watched, she changed it
Puller:2003 LB7 GMC
Toy:1973 Kenworth W923
Farm:02,11,13 Duramax/Allisons
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Hotrodder

Nice! I'm going to need a write up on how to convince your lady, man, or dog to wrench on your stuff.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durallymax View Post
25. Now reinstall the harmonic balancer making sure you put it on facing the right direction and making sure to line up the keyway with the crank pin.
Most important step right here guys, if you put it on backwards when you go to fire it up it won't turn over, leaving you to wonder how that little water pump is locking it up

Also, if you don't have the holder tool for the fan you can use an air chisel on the fan nut

Nice write up
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Dead Wrong

My buddy went and bought a 40" handle 3/4" drive at summit for this job after we snapped the snap on or snap off as I call it haha. I think we did like 250 ft lbs then 20degrees or something to that effect.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Johnny

Everytime I take pics .... adds extra 1/2 hour . Nice write up though . Gotta love the cases of redbull .

I am going to stick with your 1 hourish ..... meaning 2 hours . if not longer .

I ran into a snag on my week ago pull on the fan . To replace the radiator and fan and clutch after a little playing in the dunes . Exploded my fan at Sand Drags Glamis on New Years backing it down at end of run into the studder bumps . At least thats what I call them . Just picture your front end going BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM about 50 times . Somehow when the fan gernaded the clutch on fan cinched the nut on stud to unbelievably tight . I usually use a air hammer as crude as that sounds on the nut . Made precise dots on nut for the cruder then crude method . Usually just a few hits with the gun and its loose . This is the .... I dont have the GM tool to hold fan method . And its done precise so it isnt a masacre to the nut . Nice dots on the nut all the way around and wrench still fits on clean . Doesnt look all beat to crap with a air hammer .

Anyways .... ran into sang . Made my own crude tool to hold pulley . First I tried making just a tool like GM uses for nut . Took my 1 7/8 wrench ... $$ and cut it about 5" from open end . Drilled holes in it and stuck a bolt through it . Used it and the wieght and length to hit closed end . Thought for sure this was going to pop it loose with out holding pulley . Not !

Spent another hours or so . Lets go with 1 hourish .

Made a crude tool to hold pins . Actually 2 . 1st tool . the pins were week and folded right over . Back to the ish .. .

Made another tools after I dug through my boxs of crap looking for junk to mac gyver . Came up with another cavemen devise . If you have a welder ... anything is pssible . LOL

Now with my new tool for holding pulley and a long pipe on my 1 7/8 wrench that I cut up for no reason . Crap .... no luck . Couldnt hold my pin tool . Needed a trip back to the welder for some added lenght . LOL Back at it and .... crack ... finally got the nut loose on fan pulley . Took 4ft bar on wrench and added 2 ft to pin tool .

Now to be honest .... getting up and down and up and down . ... approx 100 times ... then kicking things ... saying f*&^%n ay about 30 times ..... u gotta be kidding me ... the 1 hourish turned into 2 daysish .

Positive point .... I do now own my own Baja kit as we call it in Cali for pulling fan on side of the road .

Last edited by Gasuout; 01-30-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Johnny

hahahah here are the crude devises used .... Getter done ....

The punch on the end of bar was when the air hammer didnt work ... another fail ... didnt work .

Attachment 17186Attachment 17187

broken fan .... the shrapnel went through radiator like a bomb . Was like a nascar engine explosion out from under the hood ... smoke wise .

Attachment 17190

And dont think I took these pics of the old girl being towed home by the 7.3 . Kind like the tools ... do what you gotta do to get ur home . 200 miles each direction to get trailer and left her in the sand . 600 mile round trip on New Years day . And yes it was a bit of a butt pucker my 48fter hooked to the bumper of the 7.3 .

Attachment 17188Attachment 17189Attachment 17191

Last edited by Gasuout; 04-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Hotrodder

well dammnit im talking real trucks, not them there medium duty trucks

The fan clutch tools I have are from NAPA (KD Tools) its the complete set it was like $170 and has 100 tools in it. Not really, but I only use two of them.

And to keep you from crying about getting up and down u[p and down up and down up and down ( o wait thats what she said), buy a topside creeper haha
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
little gearhead

do us the solid and win the super bowl. That way we can say we lost to the champs.

05 LLY Alli
the "Dream Crusher"

Proud member of Pipefitters Local 597
certified mig tig and stick pipe welder

thanks to Bobo_Team Twisted_Danville Performance_Big Dipper_Sandwich Crew and Todd
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Johnny

hahahaha ya .....

Usually dont have issues getting it all off .... was one of those times when everything I touched turned to crap .

My access to dealer tools was a big ... NOT! .... my buddy was out at Glamis .

Been there before and why the air hammer method in the past on weekend warrior repairs was done . Not my choice to do it that way . Works good though . If done right . You would have thought king kong tightend that damn nut on the fan .

Before my last attempt with the crude tool .... I did a little prayer and tap dance and spun in a circle to the DMAX Gods ....
Old 01-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Daggum farm truck

Nice write up, Vinny.

Henry, I'm interested in figuring out what trucks have a TTY balancer bolt and which one is a regular bolt. I'm going to have to put a water pump on an LLY for an old neighbor, and I'm debating whether or not I need to get a new balancer bolt. If I get a new bolt, I need to figure out which torque method to use.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Nice write up, Vinny.

Henry, I'm interested in figuring out what trucks have a TTY balancer bolt and which one is a regular bolt. I'm going to have to put a water pump on an LLY for an old neighbor, and I'm debating whether or not I need to get a new balancer bolt. If I get a new bolt, I need to figure out which torque method to use.

I will look into this tommorrow. I reused my bolt on my truck when I did the rebuild but if I had to remove it again I would replace it to be safe.
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's

Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Hotrodder

id just get rid of the balancer
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Johnny

When you think you have it tight .... tighten it more .

Ive reused mine many times then replaced once . And reused it 3 times since . I always use thread lock .
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
FNG

I love the write up, but i bet I can save you an extra 5-10 minutes on the install! I really do like your style with the MG725 impact wrench. If you swap out those Matco ratchets for the Dual 80 Snapon ratchets, their is your 5-10 minutes in saving!!!! Just a Snapon Sales Developer's 2 cents!!!!!! Just having a lil fun with you, but guys he is right with this. I've seen it done a couple of times.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durallymax View Post

If you have overheating issues soon afterwards you may have gotten a bad pump that the impeller fell off of, I just had this happen to me. In that case you will need to go back to the autoparts store and request a new pump and housing at no cost.

Hope this helped.

Vinny
This is what happened to me when I used the reman NAPA pump, took it back and paid the extra $24 for a brand new non remaned pump, worked great after that

2001 ECLB, sold

Thanks Bluemax and to Henry @ www.creaturesofthenightperformance.com