Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyburnout1 View Post
Have about 700 miles on my 6 speed conversion and wish I did it sooner! Wasn't looking for any mpg gains, just wanted to get the interstate cruising rpms down. It's not like the wife's 8 speed half ton Ram but it still makes me happy hitting that extra gear What impressed me the most was the slight change in shift strategy's and converter lockup. The shifts feel a lot more firm compared to my stock 5 speed tuning. Converter comes in a little more early and a few higher gears are held lower in the rpm range. I need to get my throttle table changed in my tune as it wants more throttle input compared to stock, so it keeps the shifts points higher than I want. But overall I love the conversion. Quick and easy!
You would probably like the tune im running, Dustin. 6-5 downshift kicks happens under light throttle between 50-55, takes a little more in 55-60, 60-70 takes a decent amount more but stays smoke free, 70 it will hold 6th pretty hard till you are in the 70% throttle range. 5-4 is still stock for 01-02 OS though. i also have 6th gear off in T/H till the tap shift comes out. its my poor mans way. just click the t/h button to downshift to 5th and unclick to get 6th when i tow. If you talk with josh there, he will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
How are you liking the G3s?
other than figuring out the downshifts currently, i have 0 bad to say about them. Mike had them in the truck for C2 and C3 prior to my last trans tear down and after i starved them for oil due to the 1st gear planets dieing and plugging up my filter and them STILL spec-ing out to be fine, i have no worries that they will stand up to me. these things are tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
Waite till you see the G4's.
guess that means i can turn up the towing power

BTW, the downshifts are being worked on currently. Josh has been an animal staying up to find all the tables and holy hell does EFI Live barely scratch the surface. Between him and Jon (Jon specializes in shift quality, hes also a close friend of mine), im pretty stoked to see just how smooth it will be. The doors that this can open will be awesome!
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Fixing it till it breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
You would probably like the tune im running, Dustin. 6-5 downshift kicks happens under light throttle between 50-55, takes a little more in 55-60, 60-70 takes a decent amount more but stays smoke free, 70 it will hold 6th pretty hard till you are in the 70% throttle range. 5-4 is still stock for 01-02 OS though. i also have 6th gear off in T/H till the tap shift comes out. its my poor mans way. just click the t/h button to downshift to 5th and unclick to get 6th when i tow. If you talk with josh there, he will know.

I opted for the Tow\Haul disable as well. Definitely easy enough but I'm excited to hear a tapshift is in the works. The tune in my truck is a temporary tune to keep smoke down as we found out I had wiring issues with my MAF sensor during the tuning process. Unfortunately in the mean time it means my truck drives like it's in Tow/Haul lol. I have to coax 6th gear to engage when running about 65mph. Feels like an old 12 valve with a misadjusted TV cable haha. When Wade gets back from UCC we'll get her dialed in!

'03 Silverado LB7
GT3788/CT6x88mm compounds _ 60's _ duals _ fingers _ 6480af _ Tuning by Diesel Day Dreams
'77 K-10
52"/56" front/rear leaf springs and rear shackle flip: 8" lift total _ D60/14blt 4:56s _ 40" Swamper IROK's _ 383 w/nitrous _ SM465 _ 208tcase
'97 Cadillac Deville
Morimoto Mini 5000k projector headlight conversion _ 500watts in the trunk _ 20's _ Flowmasters _ Tuned ECM _ Rear mount turbo in the works....
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Quote:
Waite till you see the G4's.
Do tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post

other than figuring out the downshifts currently, i have 0 bad to say about them. Mike had them in the truck for C2 and C3 prior to my last trans tear down and after i starved them for oil due to the 1st gear planets dieing and plugging up my filter and them STILL spec-ing out to be fine, i have no worries that they will stand up to me. these things are tough.

guess that means i can turn up the towing power

BTW, the downshifts are being worked on currently. Josh has been an animal staying up to find all the tables and holy hell does EFI Live barely scratch the surface. Between him and Jon (Jon specializes in shift quality, hes also a close friend of mine), im pretty stoked to see just how smooth it will be. The doors that this can open will be awesome!
Are they that aggressive you wouldn't run them on a stock trans tune? I thought about going with the g3 when I had my trans out last time, but hadn't read anything about them.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
Do tell

Are they that aggressive you wouldn't run them on a stock trans tune? I thought about going with the g3 when I had my trans out last time, but hadn't read anything about them.
i wouldnt when ran with this 6 speed conversion until dialed in. the 2-1 can be EXTREMELY harsh in the morning, enough it has locked up my tires a couple times. 4-3 lets you know its there but nothing butt puckering. The G3's have always had aggressive downshifts though from what i hear from other people. When i had the stock valve body, these symptoms were there but not near as bad. More of an annoyance in the mornings but it was worth the added strength to me to just ignore it. Right now, no one has a fix for it and honestly, i think alot of guys are not worried about. youre not under power to kill parts.
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Thanks for the info. I won't be running this conversion setup in mine.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Occasionally moving quick

Anyone care to explain what these G3's and G4's are? Trying to understand this whole topic.
Overloads pulled, 2" drop shackles, torsion key bolts pulled, on 285/55/20
All Rare Parts front end, DHD brace
EFI live and built trans by Diesel Day Dreams
Old 05-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5fourj View Post
Anyone care to explain what these G3's and G4's are? Trying to understand this whole topic.
Nothing to do with the 6spd conversion. I was asking James about his g3 clutches
Old 05-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5fourj View Post
G3 is the model # for the latest Alto high performance clutches that I helped Roy at Alto with designing.
We are now working on the new G4 clutches which are supposed to blow away the G3's.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Occasionally moving quick

Quote:
G3 is the model # for the latest Alto high performance clutches that I helped Roy at Alto with designing.
We are now working on the new G4 clutches which are supposed to blow away the G3's.
Thanks.
Overloads pulled, 2" drop shackles, torsion key bolts pulled, on 285/55/20
All Rare Parts front end, DHD brace
EFI live and built trans by Diesel Day Dreams
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Always learning

If Evan is lurking around how does this conversion work with one of your kits?

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 05-11-2018, 12:57 PM
yerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
If Evan is lurking around how does this conversion work with one of your kits?
No reason it shouldnít work just fine.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Always learning

Sweet
Still trying to sell my atv so I can afford the rebuild
Going to happen sooner than later though. Honestly canít believe itís lasted this long

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Gearhead

So to the people who are running this set up, are you using DT ecm tuning to go along with the tcm tuning to match things? Or are you guys smart enough to do your own tuning?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunz111 View Post
So to the people who are running this set up, are you using DT ecm tuning to go along with the tcm tuning to match things? Or are you guys smart enough to do your own tuning?
i think most guys already have someone elses tuning in their ECM or their own tuning. That should not affect the setup from DT.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Gearhead

Perfect. I’m getting Danville’s tuning this week