Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM
FNG

Default When to go billet?

Hi so does anyone have a rule of thumb on when to start installing billet parts?

Has there been any consistency with non-billet parts failing at different whp levels? I understand poor tuning will wreck some parts as well as abusive driving. But with that aside at what power levels/order would you recommend installing billet internals?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Got Sheep?

650 RWH and above depending on your driving habits.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
650 RWH and above depending on your driving habits.
Ok. would you recommend ALL billet at that point? Or do you first add input output at 650whp and then c2 hub at like 800whp and add intermediate shaft and p2 planet at like over 1000whp?(i'm just making up numbers btw)

Thank you.

Last edited by steampunk; 03-14-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:07 PM
FNG

Im still trying to get this one figured out. I know the input and output seem to fail first(this i have seen), but after that i haven't had a failure of any other hard parts personally ,and thats on high 6sec 1/8 mile trucks. I know these other hard parts have failed , otherwise why would suncoast and tcs tool up for billet? But are we talking about1500hp. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunk View Post
Im still trying to get this one figured out. I know the input and output seem to fail first(this i have seen), but after that i haven't had a failure of any other hard parts personally ,and thats on high 6sec 1/8 mile trucks. I know these other hard parts have failed , otherwise why would suncoast and tcs tool up for billet? But are we talking about1500hp. Thanks again.
you havent been around long enough then if have not seen anything but input/output shafts fail lol.

your biggest thing is to under stand WHY they fail, then you can know when to replace them. otherwise follow what mike said.

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
you havent been around long enough then if have not seen anything but input/output shafts fail lol.

your biggest thing is to under stand WHY they fail, then you can know when to replace them. otherwise follow what mike said.
I understand how the allison trans works and I understand how poor tuning can play a major role in hurting a trans. Mike L said 650+whp. My daily driver duramax makes 800hp and has stock input output (stock bottom end lly) I built the trans. I tuned the truck. I haven't had any issues with many passes at the strip. I have NEVER seen an intermediate shaft break on an allison. I have heard of c2 hub issues, and I've heard of p2 planets having issues on the top hp trucks. I was just trying to get a baseline number. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Yes, its really me

Quote:
I understand how the allison trans works and I understand how poor tuning can play a major role in hurting a trans. Mike L said 650+whp. My daily driver duramax makes 800hp and has stock input output (stock bottom end lly) I built the trans. I tuned the truck. I haven't had any issues with many passes at the strip. I have NEVER seen an intermediate shaft break on an allison. I have heard of c2 hub issues, and I've heard of p2 planets having issues on the top hp trucks. I was just trying to get a baseline number. Thanks for your input.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have everything figured out buddy!! 800 horsepower on a stock bottom end LLY.....

I personally think the second part of your screen name is very fitting. Go annoy someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 PM
FNG

[QUOTE=IOWA LLY;1056043]Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have everything figured out buddy!! 800 horsepower on a stock bottom end LLY.....

I personally think the second part of your screen name is very fitting. Go annoy someone else.

you could have said. "I don't know"

Last edited by steampunk; 03-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Hotrodder

Default When to go billet?

Input first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless
Old 03-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Shits broke

I'm still on stock hard parts. 7000lbs well over 900 to the wheels. But I will be installing a billet shaft the next time my trans comes apart.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Yes, its really me

LMM apply pistons AND C3 oilers!!!!!

Wow man! Your way out of my league!

Keep bragging and see how much help you get. Arrogance and asking for basic advice just don't seem to get much for results.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
LMM apply pistons AND C3 oilers!!!!!

Wow man! Your way out of my league!

Keep bragging and see how much help you get. Arrogance and asking for basic advice just don't seem to get much for results.

It's not bragging. I don't need "help" at this point. I have experience with this platform. I was just asking around to get some input from the community. If you don't have anything to contribute to this thread I suggest you move on. It's not helpful to me or anyone else on the forum.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
It's not bragging. I don't need "help" at this point. I have experience with this platform. I was just asking around to get some input from the community. If you don't have anything to contribute to this thread I suggest you move on. It's not helpful to me or anyone else on the forum.

You have some experience. That is evident. You just need to buy a little more experience and you will have it all figured out. Everything you commented is possible. I have seen it too. The facts are it doesn't last so it's not remotely safe or advised. So if you think that it is you are not going to help the diesel community at all by trying to get people to buy into that philosophy.

03 GMC 4x4 CC/SB Intake, 5" SS Exhaust, built motor by Me, Cognito Kryptonite Suspension upgrades, Custom Traction Bars by Me, Suncoast Trans, 1055-1 Convertor, Two AirDog II 200's, Billet Sump, Venom Tuning AKA Me, Custom Fabbed Fuel system, Flexlite Fans, 7.70/92.5 mph 1/8 with two cracked intake ports. HSP TRIPLES ARE HERE AND LOOKING FOR 10"S
2013 LML Daily Driver, 5" FloPro Exhaust, Venom Tuning, Ad 165 4G Lift Pump, Upcoming HSP Billet Bridge And Piping, Upcoming CP3 Conversion
Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Phinney View Post
You have some experience. That is evident. You just need to buy a little more experience and you will have it all figured out. Everything you commented is possible. I have seen it too. The facts are it doesn't last so it's not remotely safe or advised. So if you think that it is you are not going to help the diesel community at all by trying to get people to buy into that philosophy.

This is why im asking the questions i have asked. I have been reading the forums for years and im greatful for all the information that is published. If you want to build a 500hp truck that will live its easy to find the perfect recipe, however once you break into the world of "big trucks" its hard to find the info. I just wonder if we are overbuilding our trucks and spending more than we really need to just because the part is for sale on some website. Once a part is available it seems the vendors will push it weather or not its necessary. I promise im not trying to start anything and i know ive got alot to learn.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Yes, its really me

Quote:

I've seen C2 hub, and P2 planet issues on trucks with 750ish RWHP.

As a rule of thumb I install billet input and C2 hub at 650rwhp, billet P2 planet at 800 and up, and billet output on any competition truck at or above 800rwhp.