Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Hotrodder

Or something like a finger stick.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Traded for '17 Denali

18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Since the 6 speeds came out, the TCM has been doing it's own peak torque calculations. I believe it is based off of mass air flow, fuel rate, acceleration,cand several other variables. I remember reading a GM document many moons ago about detecting the addition of "power adders", and I remember checking the checksums in the ECM was 1 step, but there was also something in it for 06+ about going into the TCM, and looking for the peak logged torque. I believe the TCM had a preset expected acceleration value loaded into the calubration, and it would compare actual to the pre loaded one, and determine a theoretical peak torque value. It would explain why each body style had a slightly different TCM OS# to it for 06+ trucks when most all of the visible tables were the same for each OS. And the gen iv+ TCM are capable of doing so much more than just shifting.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:08 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
With the module it shouldn’t know any more fuel is going into the motor. But the mass air flow I didn’t think about. I wonder if I can trick it with a slightly bigger intake tube.
ECM still knows how many injection events take place and for how long each was commanded open. So, I doubt the box can fool all the perameters GM can use to see fuel rate. Bigger intake tube would throw off the fueling tables, so it would probably make less power.

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Yes, its really me

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
Since the 6 speeds came out, the TCM has been doing it's own peak torque calculations. I believe it is based off of mass air flow, fuel rate, acceleration,cand several other variables. I remember reading a GM document many moons ago about detecting the addition of "power adders", and I remember checking the checksums in the ECM was 1 step, but there was also something in it for 06+ about going into the TCM, and looking for the peak logged torque. I believe the TCM had a preset expected acceleration value loaded into the calubration, and it would compare actual to the pre loaded one, and determine a theoretical peak torque value. It would explain why each body style had a slightly different TCM OS# to it for 06+ trucks when most all of the visible tables were the same for each OS. And the gen iv+ TCM are capable of doing so much more than just shifting.

So your saying if you were to take one of these trucks and accelerate wide open down a very steep hill it would see the insane acceleration rate and think it's making some huge torque number? I'm not sure I believe that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Yes, its really me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
ECM still knows how many injection events take place and for how long each was commanded open. So, I doubt the box can fool all the perameters GM can use to see fuel rate. Bigger intake tube would throw off the fueling tables, so it would probably make less power.

Not if the box fools the feedback to the ECM. If it plugs in between the rail pressure sensor and the ECM how would the ECM know the rail pressure is higher? It wouldn't and therefore it would add a bit of fuel to each injection event and the ECM would have no way of knowing that. Now it is certainly possible that it could limit fuel from high EGTs which could potentially result from the increase in fuel rail pressure. But that could in theory be fooled as well.....

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
So your saying if you were to take one of these trucks and accelerate wide open down a very steep hill it would see the insane acceleration rate and think it's making some huge torque number? I'm not sure I believe that....

I'm sure it has an averaging algorythim to it of some sort. There was also mention of it using taps to figure torque as well. If the taps vary from a preset amount by a large margin on all the taps, that could also indicate an increase in power.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
I'm sure it has an averaging algorythim to it of some sort. There was also mention of it using taps to figure torque as well. If the taps vary from a preset amount by a large margin on all the taps, that could also indicate an increase in power.
That would explain why the lmls would get faster with just the solenoid mod in the trans.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Default Fastest L5P

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post

Itís not far fetched. Iíve seen some of the back side tuning for factory vehicles and what is all entailed for a trans tune. I wish I could say more but that would get someone in trouble. What these engineers have to put in these electronics now is mind boggling compared to what we play with or was out just 5-8 years ago. These damn things are smart, very smart.

And yes, these guys take into account accelerating down a hill. Trying to do donuts, off roading, and just being a hooligan. Iím kinda jealous sometimes...
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
It’s not far fetched. I’ve seen some of the back side tuning for factory vehicles and what is all entailed for a trans tune. I wish I could say more but that would get someone in trouble. What these engineers have to put in these electronics now is mind boggling compared to what we play with or was out just 5-8 years ago. These damn things are smart, very smart.

And yes, these guys take into account accelerating down a hill. Trying to do donuts, off roading, and just being a hooligan. I’m kinda jealous sometimes...
Even the infamous "DUMB" 01 OS can determine if tire slippage is occurring like during a burnout or just spinning the tires. I don't remember the PID I logged, but everytime I broke the tires loose this PID would change and show torque reduction request. With how much more advanced the Gen IV TCM is, nothing would surprise. Then to think of how much more advanced the T87 is, and it really is no surprise.

After the whole diesel gate VW scandal, it has started coming out just how much more STUFF is in the BOSCH ECM's code than most even thought there was. Over on the efilive forum a few months ago they posted a link that covered SOME of the stuff that has been uncovered inside the BOSCH ECM's coding. They even found the defeat code was written into ALL BOSCH ECM's, it was simply a matter of wether or not it was activated. There was speculation in one of the articles about the possible ramifications of dieselgate because of just how much HIDDEN code has been brought to light. These controllers are doing so much more now than just controlling there designated functions.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Shits broke

I wonder how pissed off the truck would be if I threw some water meth at it

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 AM
Shits broke

So the truck makes less torque with the module on than it does off. So warranty is still good

Problem I did notice is the maf reads lower and is all over the place with the module on. I’m guessing the turbo is choking itself trying to make more boost. I did notice the vein % is higher so it is making more boost.

It’s hard to tell if the truck is torque limited by egt or 5th gear but it is pulling fuel. I’ll have to hook a trailer to it and do more testing. It is definitely torque limited in 4wd. I wonder if I can engage 4wd without the truck knowing.

At this point I would only recommend a module that increases rail pressure. Adding any boost isn’t helpful. But since I already have this one. Water/meth should lower egt and make it easier for the turbo to make boost so I might as well see what happens.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Spare some change?

Quote:
So the truck makes less torque with the module on than it does off. So warranty is still good

Problem I did notice is the maf reads lower and is all over the place with the module on. Iím guessing the turbo is choking itself trying to make more boost. I did notice the vein % is higher so it is making more boost.

Itís hard to tell if the truck is torque limited by egt or 5th gear but it is pulling fuel. Iíll have to hook a trailer to it and do more testing. It is definitely torque limited in 4wd. I wonder if I can engage 4wd without the truck knowing.

At this point I would only recommend a module that increases rail pressure. Adding any boost isnít helpful. But since I already have this one. Water/meth should lower egt and make it easier for the turbo to make boost so I might as well see what happens.
Sounds like a voltage/communication issue with the module & MAF. Turbo shouldn't be choking itself at all.

Air:
S369/484
Gated

Hard Parts:
Socal Built Motor/Narrowed Crank
HSP Built Limitless Trans/Goerend K Converter

Fuel:
S&S 200% Injectors
Fleece 10mm CP3 'Valley Pump'
PPE Duel Fueler w/Stock Pump
Fass 220/Beans Sump

Tuning:
Mark@DanvillePerformance
Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rty-max View Post
Sounds like a voltage/communication issue with the module & MAF. Turbo shouldn't be choking itself at all.
Itís just asking for too much boost. There isnít enough fuel to drive the turbine so the veins are closing.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 AM
LEGALLY INSANE

Quote:
Itís just asking for too much boost. There isnít enough fuel to drive the turbine so the veins are closing.
Gale Banks commented in one of his videos that the l5p's turbo cannot take much more than stock without it choking. He said in stock form, the turbo was holding it back.