Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 AM
Alaska Wilderness Wanderer

Default Request "HELP" with Engine troubles....thanks

I starts fine, let it warm-up, put it in gear and it stalls. If you don't put it in gear, but very, very, very, very slowly press the accelerator, the engine looks and feels like it is going to break the engine mounts, with vibration. If it is not put in gear and the throttle is press "Quickly" it stalls. It always restarts perfectly, it idles fine.

It will idle fine for as long as I will leave it idle, 15 or 20 minutes and it idles fine, feed in just the slightest power and it stalls. It ran fine right up till this started happening. Never any engine problem till this. I removed the air filter to see if that would make any difference.......it did not make any difference.

Before this it never had any visible exhaust....none. Now there is a blue'ish exhaust, if the power is feed in slowly, till it looks and feels like the engine will jump out.

Engine and Truck has a total of 35,800 original miles
Fuel filter was just changed about 500 miles ago.

Thanks for help.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 AM
Hotrodder

What year is it?

2008 Chevrolet 3500hd duramax ltz cc/lb dually (homemade handgrenade) built motor by me, Built tranny by me, big exergy pump and injectors, ac delete, s400 custom Danville 2.5 charger, roll pan, 8" single stack, custom hitch and a few more pulling goodies.

2015 Vw passat tdi sel premium blacked out(old lady's ride)

2014 chevrolet cruze diesel work car.

Special thanks to Danville Performace & Limitless Diesel
Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 AM

2005 GMC 5500 4X4 Crew Cab Dully (Currently located near the middle of large wilderness National Forest, in Alaska)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmax123 View Post
What year is it?

Last edited by Sourdough; 05-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Hotrodder

Are their any codes present?

2008 Chevrolet 3500hd duramax ltz cc/lb dually (homemade handgrenade) built motor by me, Built tranny by me, big exergy pump and injectors, ac delete, s400 custom Danville 2.5 charger, roll pan, 8" single stack, custom hitch and a few more pulling goodies.

2015 Vw passat tdi sel premium blacked out(old lady's ride)

2014 chevrolet cruze diesel work car.

Special thanks to Danville Performace & Limitless Diesel
Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 AM

I have NO idea what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmax123 View Post
Are their any codes present?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Old Geezer

Does the check engine lignt come on? You need something to read the engine codes, if you are out in the boonies that might be a problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Hotrodder

Only stalls when in gear, runs fine at all RPMS in neutral? Where exactly in Alaska are you located?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Negative.....check engine light does not come on. About 100 miles in every direction to town. How much money does a code reader cost....??? Can it be shipped by mail.....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman View Post
Does the check engine lignt come on? You need something to read the engine codes, if you are out in the boonies that might be a problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Shits broke

I'm going to guess fuel filter is loose or leaking.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Only stalls when in gear, runs fine at all RPMS in neutral? Where exactly in Alaska are you located?
NEGATIVE........not accurate. Runs fine at idle, runs perfectly at idle, but as soon as the RPM's are increased even the smallest amount it stalls if in gear......or if not in gear it shakes and vibrates and rocks the engine as if it will tear the engine off the frame.

Currently located on the Kenai Peninsula.......roughly near "Lower Summit Lake" off the Seward Hwy. (Not very far from the Hope Road cut-off).

Last edited by Sourdough; 05-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post

Checked that.....filter is tight and is NOT leaking. No fuel leaking any place, even if it is idling for 30 minutes.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
^^^ Yep sounds fuel/filter related

What fuel filter are you running on the truck currently? The filter heads can go bad, 12 bucks in seals to rebuild them. The CP3 pump sucks fuel from the tank through the filter, so it normally won't leak any fuel externally but will suck air and cause issues.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Hotrodder

I'm going to guess the cam or crank sensor or reluctor wheel. Or the imfamous #2 & #7 injector harness issues. Try ice picking the connectors at each injector

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...onnectors.html

Last edited by 2004LB7; 05-19-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Old Geezer

had the injector harness issue in my 05 dually. It would hardly move. The point of this I'm trying to figure out is the violent engine shake when he tries to increase RPM in neutral. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the check engine light come on if there was a cam or crank sensor problem. Thats what it sounds like, if it were a filter problem I don't think he'd get the engine vibration when he add fuel in neutral. Really need something to ck the codes. You are not that far from Anchorage go in and get a code reader. I think you can get something at most any auto parts store. If I were close I'd loan you my Tech II.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Is the code reader specific to a given type engine......or is a code reader a universal tool that works on any vehicle......??? And thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman View Post
had the injector harness issue in my 05 dually. It would hardly move. The point of this I'm trying to figure out is the violent engine shake when he tries to increase RPM in neutral. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the check engine light come on if there was a cam or crank sensor problem. Thats what it sounds like, if it were a filter problem I don't think he'd get the engine vibration when he add fuel in neutral. Really need something to ck the codes. You are not that far from Anchorage go in and get a code reader. I think you can get something at most any auto parts store. If I were close I'd loan you my Tech II.