Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 AM
Making Chips

From who I've talked to, Mahle race cast will be fine for what your doing.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 AM
pro-procrastinator

Honestly your pissing in the wind with a "230 tune" on a stock trans..

Throw another stock short block in it, turn it down or build the trans.

There's tons of those turbos out there not breaking Pistons.. just had shit luck

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me and those whom I bought parts from.

Special thanks to Evan, James, Russell, Mark and all the others I'm forgetting.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Honestly your pissing in the wind with a "230 tune" on a stock trans..

Throw another stock short block in it, turn it down or build the trans.

There's tons of those turbos out there not breaking Pistons.. just had shit luck

Stock trans is minor details haha. It's got the jr with Mike l springs and holds the 230tune quite well. It did not like the new turbo though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
It's actually Zach

Your converter is gonna leave you stranded or at least is gonna be limping like crazy if you dog it even the slightest bit with bigger injectors and a 230 tune. Been there thobit was in a 5 speed Allison with a 150 tune.
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Trimmed and lowered on Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Hotrodder

Not a minor detail haha. To each his own though.
Built front end
All the bolt ons
33x11.5 on 17x9 -12
HB/brake upgrades
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Diesel Hotrodder

We have run 100,000 miles on our LBZ and it has been tuned it's whole life, has hundreds of drag passes, several sled events, as well as towing. It even had water dumped into the engine when the truck was stolen, and we tried to start it without knowing. Talk about hydrolock! It still has the original pistons (knock on wood).

I've seen virtually new LBZ's at stock power crack a piston, and I've put 936rwhp through a set and did not crack them.

The LBZ piston has pin bushings press fit into them. When you press a bushing into cast aluminum, there is always the risk of a crack forming. It's perhaps the most common cause for cracked aluminum heads, the crack often starts at the seats or guides.

Is there a process issue with the bushing install during production? Perhaps. But without extensive sampling and inspection using NDT methods, there is no way to be sure. Forgings are more resistant to cracks than casting methods and alloys.

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY "Casper"- LLY O/S 8758. 10.59 @ 129. EFILive "2CP3" Tuning, Mike L Suncoast Trans. PPE Dual CP3's, GT4202R.
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12@103. Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107.x. EFILive tuning, Mike L trans.
Pat and Kat McSwain
"Casper" - Record Holder, Bonneville & El Mirage. Best Clocked Speed 197mph, Bonneville '09.
"World's Fastest Production Diesel Pickup - 174.586mph"
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscyjack View Post
Not a minor detail haha. To each his own though.

Haha I know I'm not usually super hard on the trans in the bigger tunes knowing it's a time bomb at this point.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
Stock trans is minor details haha. It's got the jr with Mike l springs and holds the 230tune quite well. It did not like the new turbo though

I doubt that

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM
misspeelleerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
We have run 100,000 miles on our LBZ and it has been tuned it's whole life, has hundreds of drag passes, several sled events, as well as towing. It even had water dumped into the engine when the truck was stolen, and we tried to start it without knowing. Talk about hydrolock! It still has the original pistons (knock on wood).

I've seen virtually new LBZ's at stock power crack a piston, and I've put 936rwhp through a set and did not crack them.

The LBZ piston has pin bushings press fit into them. When you press a bushing into cast aluminum, there is always the risk of a crack forming. It's perhaps the most common cause for cracked aluminum heads, the crack often starts at the seats or guides.

Is there a process issue with the bushing install during production? Perhaps. But without extensive sampling and inspection using NDT methods, there is no way to be sure. Forgings are more resistant to cracks than casting methods and alloys.
Welcome back
07.5 3500hd RCLB LMM GT4088R, 4.56 gears 225/70/19.5 efi live with 418k as of 3/27/17
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull salior
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post
I doubt that

Honestly , it'll hold 132 on gps at wot 225k miles on trans all stock besides transgo jr and Mike l shift springs. It's hurting the trans every time but never hit limp mode and never thrown a dtc. Occasionally it'll stick in second coming up to a stop

Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Yes, its really me

It will HOLD 132 mph......?????? And your on here asking why you broke a piston????

Stock transmission, 4094 turbo, pegged EGT gauge, and an idiot behind the wheel driving 132 f***ing mph.

You sir, are an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
It will HOLD 132 mph......?????? And your on here asking why you broke a piston????

Stock transmission, 4094 turbo, pegged EGT gauge, and an idiot behind the wheel driving 132 f***ing mph.

You sir, are an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I did 132 it was stock turbo and 230 tune egt was 1700, I unstable I drive it like an idiot, not sure how it constitutes me as being one. I also never said I'm upset the piston broke I'm just curious what causes it. Boost egts or fuel timing. The transmission hasn't shown much evidence of failure I check the fluid level and condition and smell on a weekly basis due to I do drive it hard at times. Just noticed two different trucks same year break pistons within one week from another and the same turbo was on each truck when each engine broke piston. And honestly 132 wasn't that bad it got there pretty quickly if you stay in it. But back to topic piston failure not transmission failure

Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You sir have been one of the few to give an actual answer. So is egts more of a culprit then fuel injection/timing ? Will running a bigger nozzle on a smaller hp tune be more safe vs a smaller nozzle on a larger hp tune ? I'm assuming the cyl pressures would be less with a larger nozzle inj vs a stock one

Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Secret Squirrel Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post

You sir, are an idiot.

My piston let loose also just driving down road, upon tear down the manifold gasket was in wrong restricting flow which may have been the final straw, also discovered 2 others with hairline cracks
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Diesel Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
You sir have been one of the few to give an actual answer. So is egts more of a culprit then fuel injection/timing ? Will running a bigger nozzle on a smaller hp tune be more safe vs a smaller nozzle on a larger hp tune ? I'm assuming the cyl pressures would be less with a larger nozzle inj vs a stock one

I run so much timing in my tunes that it makes baby Jesus cry.

And have melted enough pistons to bump Mahle's stock up 2 points.

The popular theory is to run big injectors and shorter duration with less timing. But people STILL crack pistons.

I have an LBZ piston on my bench (from a friend) that looks like it was cracked at the factory. Like new, just in two pieces. Probably superglue it back together and run it.

Note that melting, not cracking pistons, is what was my downfall each time I blew an engine up from piston damage.

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY "Casper"- LLY O/S 8758. 10.59 @ 129. EFILive "2CP3" Tuning, Mike L Suncoast Trans. PPE Dual CP3's, GT4202R.
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12@103. Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107.x. EFILive tuning, Mike L trans.
Pat and Kat McSwain
"Casper" - Record Holder, Bonneville & El Mirage. Best Clocked Speed 197mph, Bonneville '09.
"World's Fastest Production Diesel Pickup - 174.586mph"