Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
I would really like to get an ECM, TCM, wiring harness, and transmission out of a Duramax van, bolt the trans up to my built motor, and drop the whole thing into the beater '93 regular cab S10 I have. It weighs 2800 lbs with the little 2.8 V6 and the full interior. With some weight reduction, I think I could keep it close to 3k with the Duramax in it. I think that would be a wicked little truck.
Josh what is significant about the van?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Old Geezer

Good luck Tom sounds like a fun project. Voice of experience, plan on it costing about half again what you orginally thought.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Hotrodder

4L80e and not an ally is my guess

"you may never have to outrun a deceptacon, but its just nice to know you can."

04 Jeep Rubicon
Stock for now
Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Daggum farm truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman View Post
Josh what is significant about the van?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax3388 View Post
4L80e and not an ally is my guess
What he said. It runs a Bosch LBZ ECM and a 4L85E transmission.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
wannabe

So why dont you find a 2500hd of 3500hd reg cab longbed work truck stripper model that already has a duramax/allison combo and just shorten the frame and drop a short bed on it? Then all the hassle of integrating a whole new (and foreign to that chassis) drivetrain is bypassed. There was a dude that did it (from germany i think). Think his name was Lennart (?). He used almost all factory parts and used GMupfitter for specs. Just a thought. One of my dream trucks (one of many) would be a 2006 LBZ Reg cab short bed 4x4 with a 2/4 ish drop, all the susp goodies to beef it, set of twins putting at least 600 to the ground on a no smoke tune. Perfect little street racer. And would probably get good mileage to boot.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

A 2500hd shorty would still be well over 5000lbs. More weight needs more power to move it. Seriously...this swap would not be as difficult as you'd think.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM
wannabe

I dont doubt your abilities in any way about completing this project. But it just seems that you are reinventing the wheel, when it seems that what you are after is just a faster/rounder wheel. A five thousand pound 2500hd rcsb is still WAY lighter than most of the four door, loaded beasts that lurk around here. The difference between your 1/2 ton plan and what im suggesting is what, maybe 800lbs on the high side? Just turn up the wick a little more. It would save the headache of trying to make a completely different drivetrain interface with a whole different truck platform. And there wouldl be less cutting and fabbing involved too.

Please dont misunderstand me, either way this would be a cool ass truck. Its your project, money, time, and thought put into it. Not mine. Im not trying to persuade you to do it any other way. Just suggesting. It could be my way of thinking working in a 4x4 shop, i would rather cut the back framerails in one spot. Compared to possible multiple spots, and then the headache of wiring/integrating a duramax into something that didnt come with it.

Please build this truck. It would be totally bitchin. I will gladly eat crow, if/when this rocket moves down the road.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

The whole point of this is to run my current LB7 stock-turbo setup in the 1500 and run 11.flat. No more "turning up the wick" as I think Im already juuust about there.

Cutting up a 2500 frame to fit a shortbox would be FAR more work and require far more skill than simply added 6 spacers and a 2500 rad support to a 1500 body, and as you state, Id still be 800lbs (which is 4 tenths!) heavy. You cant do anything about weight if you're stuck with it and cant remove it.

Im no engineer, and my fabricator skills arent the greatest, but Ive put a great deal of thought into this. Granted its all theory right now, but Im pretty confident it would work like I think. The only thing that I may possibly be wrong about are the 1500 frame mounts for the motor....the "tubes" welded into the frame may not be correct if the truck is a V6...but that can be rectified. Engine bays are same sizes, cabs are the same, boxes are the same. Ive looked over frame specs on Upfitter for a while, and all the important measurements work 1500 to 2500.

Wiring is literally plug-and-play 2500 to 1500 if you use the correct year wiring harness. May have to transfer over throttle pedal harness to the 1500, and maybe have to add some circuits to the fuse box, since a diesel does use some things that a gasser doesnt, but wiring is relatively easy.

I was telling Camo that Im amazed that no racing shop has tried this before (not including DirtyMax and OrangeCrush). Ideal would be to find both trucks at auction. We'll see where this goes, funds allowing.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"

Last edited by TheBac; 10-26-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM
wannabe

Again, i hope this comes to fruition. I now see your point of using your existing drivetrain that is already pushing limits. I think the build thread for the truck i was originally refering to was on dp. Lennart was the original. Then another guy with the sig Frieghtdriver (or something like that) did it with a 2wd.

Best of luck. Please document the hell out of it when it gets going. You seem to already have a ton of research done. Better to have a set plan, just winging it can get you in trouble ( and debt) real quick.

Id love to see this thing happen.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
i have a regular cab, half ton, with lly in it, and its four wheel drive
You got any more info on your 1/2 ton conversion? A build thread hiding somewhere?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
<- wish i was there

Nice project tom. Can't wait to see it start to take form. And granted when you're talking about simplicity, cutting down a 2500 would be the easiest way to do it. But when you're talking weight doing it with a 1500 would be best. Just remember you will have to box the frame if you plan on racing it.

Thank you sponsors: XDP, BD Diesel, Raceline wheels, Silverline Exhaust, Pureflow Technologies and McGaughy's suspension.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
I forgot Id have to buy a new 2wd tailhousing for the Allison, too.
What about finding a 2wd 6spd & swap the housings
If your going to buy a rear axle get one out of a Dodge, it has the good locker & I think the brakes are bigger
Bay State Diesels
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
<--Tree Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Ideal would be to find both trucks at auction. We'll see where this goes, funds allowing.
Trucks seem to go dirt cheap at these heavy equipment/truck auctions and they have auctions all over the place. At the auction they have out here twice a year I have seen a ton of stripper model work trucks to choose from.

http://www.rbauction.com/web/rba/home
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm officially done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCviaAK View Post
So why dont you find a 2500hd of 3500hd reg cab longbed work truck stripper model that already has a duramax/allison combo and just shorten the frame and drop a short bed on it? Then all the hassle of integrating a whole new (and foreign to that chassis) drivetrain is bypassed. There was a dude that did it (from germany i think). Think his name was Lennart (?). He used almost all factory parts and used GMupfitter for specs. Just a thought. One of my dream trucks (one of many) would be a 2006 LBZ Reg cab short bed 4x4 with a 2/4 ish drop, all the susp goodies to beef it, set of twins putting at least 600 to the ground on a no smoke tune. Perfect little street racer. And would probably get good mileage to boot.
I'd love to do what Lennart did but with an 06 6 spd manual.

Good luck Tom. My orange truck was a 6.0 truck that we converted. If you go with an 01-02, I kept the harnesses off that truck just in case we did another conversion or I knew of someone else doing one.

Thanks to Fleece, Blackout Performance, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, Bullfrog, Simon, Mark Broviak .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
<--Tree Hugger

Not that you will buy this particular truck but I bet this one could be had dirt cheap!

http://www.rbauction.com/details-en_...kup_2867268/ci