Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Alaska Wilderness Wanderer

What Cheap "BUT" functional Code Reader do I need to order for this 2005 GMC 5500 Duramax Engine.......??? Where do I look for the engine model......??? Thank You
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
What Cheap "BUT" functional Code Reader do I need to order for this 2005 GMC 5500 Duramax Engine.......??? Where do I look for the engine model......??? Thank You

Go on amazing and get a obd2 scanner. You can get them to connect with your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 05:45 PM

My guess is that......that ain't likely to work. My phone service is by very, very, very tiny microwave, in rural/remote Alaska. This is a so-called semi-land line. I don't own a cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8RNAZ View Post
Go on amazing and get a obd2 scanner. You can get them to connect with your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Two days ago, I started the truck......and surprise the engine was functioning perfectly, I even drove it two miles, then shut it off and restarted it.....it still was running fine, no issues.
The truck set for two days, and I start the truck....and back to the same problem as stated in the original post on this thread. Starts fine, idles fine, but sputters and dies as soon as it is but into drive, and throttle advanced.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Hotrodder

Tech 2 Chinese knock off , if Mike L says it works thats all I have got to hear , from I think it was SICO, LOOK IT UP UNDER TOOLS ON THIS SITE . Good Luck !
AFE Blade Runner ;DHD Big Air intake;DHD fuel block;DHD pcv reroute;MBRP 4 inch exhaust;DHD 3 inch downpipe; BD driver's side manifold; DHD pass side up pipe ;DHD 3 inch intercooler in and out pipes by Big Foot on & off road shop ; shimmed fprv; FASS fuel system; 5/8 inch pickup; FASS fuel filter delete; EFI live, 5 position switch 250 hp big tune by Crank it up ; built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter by Limitless Diesel; Sulastic shackles;ARP head studs; grade C gaskets; tig-welded water pump ;T stats; by Blackout performance; Merchant t case brace and pump rub kit;drive shaft 1480joints Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars , 5100s
Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Thank You, I read all six pages of that thread, and I admit I did not understand all of it. But, I understood enough to know that no code reader is going to help in my situation, given where I live and where the truck is located (Remote/Rural Alaska).

My internet at top speed comes by Microwave, and is disrupted by rain, snow, leaves, flock of birds, etc.. At it's best it is only 99 Mbps. Plus this cheap'ass computer was new in 1998, and my computer skills are limited to checking the weather, checking e-mail, and a few forums, mostly reference Alaska Hunting.

I think I can get it towed into Los'Anchorage for about $400.00 and given that I want to sell the truck, investing $330.00 for a code reader that likely will not work with this computer, seems the most prudent path.
Again, thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Tech 2 Chinese knock off , if Mike L says it works thats all I have got to hear , from I think it was SICO, LOOK IT UP UNDER TOOLS ON THIS SITE . Good Luck !
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 AM
Hotrodder

A Tech 2 code reader dose not use the internet , it uses the port in your truck to power it and has a built in computer , on the site that shows the picture of the 32 bit GM card , click on that it shows everything with case . The truck will sell for alot more running than not ! Good luck with what ever you decide !
AFE Blade Runner ;DHD Big Air intake;DHD fuel block;DHD pcv reroute;MBRP 4 inch exhaust;DHD 3 inch downpipe; BD driver's side manifold; DHD pass side up pipe ;DHD 3 inch intercooler in and out pipes by Big Foot on & off road shop ; shimmed fprv; FASS fuel system; 5/8 inch pickup; FASS fuel filter delete; EFI live, 5 position switch 250 hp big tune by Crank it up ; built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter by Limitless Diesel; Sulastic shackles;ARP head studs; grade C gaskets; tig-welded water pump ;T stats; by Blackout performance; Merchant t case brace and pump rub kit;drive shaft 1480joints Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars , 5100s
Old 05-31-2017, 09:25 AM

Do I understand correctly, that it will not identify the exact problem, and only points in a general direction as to the problem........??? Thank you for the help.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Hotrodder

If you have more than one code , it will list them all and then an expert will have more info to help you . If you plan on working on another truck after you sell this one you can still use the Tech 2 on it if its covered under make , mod and year . Or if you dont burn out the Tech 2 , resell it !
Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Thank you,......I am curious how would someone burn out the Tech 2 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
...... Or if you dont burn out the Tech 2 , resell it !
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Hotrodder

A couple of the people on this site said they tried to upload differant info into the clone and it burned up , but for general use most say its great ! Good luck !