Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Hotrodder

Default Steering column play driving me insane!

Okay so ive got a issue ive been dealing with and trying to fix for almost a year now. I replaced the steering box in my 07 LBZ with a red head steering gears box at 140k miles. at (150k now) when i replaced the box my factory box had play but the little wobble joint in the column that has the 2 T-25 torx bits had play as well. so i replaced the box snugged the torx bits and all was good. For about a day. Then the little slop from the wobble joint came back........ i have tightened the torx screws for the wobble joint and loc tited them 5 or 6 times now. Every single time steering is good for a day then it gets slop again. There nothing that bother me more then steering wheel play. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM
SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT

I would check the rest of the steering as well. I had a lot of “wiggle” room at the wheel and my idler was the culprit.

What kind of lock tight are you using and don’t take this the wrong way but at you cleaning the bolts off ALL grease and oil. A simple wipe down with a rag won’t do it. On my truck when I lock tight stuff like my u joint straps for example if I don’t have brakleen I’ll use dawn dish soap as a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4" MBRP TB AXLE DUMP, EFI IDAHO ROB, PPE RAIL PLUG, S&B AIR, PPE TRANS COOLER, FLEECE TRANS LINES, AIRDOGG 165, EDGE CTS, KRYPTONITE STEERING RODS AND KRYPTONITE IDLER, COGNITO STEERING BRACES, COGNITO DIFF MOUNT, BARS TURNED DOWN AND DROP SHACKLES ON REAR, ALL OTHER PM (REROUTES AND DELETES) PAINT PAINT PAINT

2004.5 LLY :SOLD 2/15
5" TB EXHAUST, FASS LIFT PUMP, PPE TUNE, PUMP RUB, MOUTHPIECE, PAINT PAINT AND PAINT
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I would check the rest of the steering as well. I had a lot of “wiggle” room at the wheel and my idler was the culprit.

What kind of lock tight are you using and don’t take this the wrong way but at you cleaning the bolts off ALL grease and oil. A simple wipe down with a rag won’t do it. On my truck when I lock tight stuff like my u joint straps for example if I don’t have brakleen I’ll use dawn dish soap as a back up.

well in all honesty i never pulled them off and cleaned them until this morning cleaned them with break clean and re lock tighted them with loc tight brand blue AGAIN. i can see where the wheel has slop before the actual shaft starts to move if that makes sense. Although my pitman and idler are are also bad as well even though they were replaced about 30k miles ago. I guess thats what i get for buying oreillys parts. MOOG it is! Ill update if the screws hold this time! thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Hotrodder

Don’t use moog use AC Delco. Guys of had problems with moog breaking.

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Hotrodder

Well after cleaning the torx screws and lock tighting them I let it dry for about 4 hours before driving the truck. I made it roughly 10 miles before the slop came back. I know that's where it's form because i can see the wheel moving before the shaft moves in the column. Why is this such a pain?!?!?