Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #46  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:18 PM
gl4787's Avatar
gl4787 gl4787 is offline
<--needs parts
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDuramax View Post
LOL! What THEY said!!! So the timing anomaly during DECELERATION is what gives a power increase???!!! REALLY??!!! HORSEPOWER INCREASES AT 0% THROTTLE POSITION???!!! STOP LISTENING TO DUMBASS TECHS AT THE DEALERSHIP WHO ARE PAID TO BLOW SMOKE UP YOUR ASS TO PROTECT THE DEALERSHIP FROM WARRANTY CLAIMS!!!!
True said tech is full of it but why would you think a tech wouldn't want to do a warranty claim? You do realize that the service director, manager, writer and tech all make money off of warranty claims right? It's like doing work to a vehicle that you don't have to get a customer to pay for. Not trying to bash just trying to see your logic in that statement. Only reason it hits a nerve with me is because these are the kinds of things I hear from customer's all the time. "The dealer just doesn't want to fix my car for free so they're going to wait until I'm out of warranty".
__________________
2003 EC/LB 4X4 LT - Built trans w/ triple disc, Fleece lock up box, EFI by Rob, FASS, ARPs, Little odds and ends. 12.2s w/ Spray
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
gl4787's Avatar
gl4787 gl4787 is offline
<--needs parts
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
I'm still waiting on a reply from my dealership on what the reasoning is. I've seen the emails they sent out requesting information, but GM is being tight lipped about it.
Did they contact their District Service & Parts Manager (DSPM)? He/she is really the only one that would be able to produce a real answer to this kind of question because they're really the only one's that get their answers straight from GM.
__________________
2003 EC/LB 4X4 LT - Built trans w/ triple disc, Fleece lock up box, EFI by Rob, FASS, ARPs, Little odds and ends. 12.2s w/ Spray
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 PM
DangerousDuramax's Avatar
DangerousDuramax DangerousDuramax is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl4787 View Post
True said tech is full of it but why would you think a tech wouldn't want to do a warranty claim? You do realize that the service director, manager, writer and tech all make money off of warranty claims right? It's like doing work to a vehicle that you don't have to get a customer to pay for. Not trying to bash just trying to see your logic in that statement. Only reason it hits a nerve with me is because these are the kinds of things I hear from customer's all the time. "The dealer just doesn't want to fix my car for free so they're going to wait until I'm out of warranty".
Dealerships avoid warranty claims if at all possible. We all know this...its nothing new. They get screwed many times because of fraudulent or incorrect warranty claims. My statement is directed at a tech trying to keep the dealership from suffering an unnecessary warranty claim over something that only exists in the customers mind and isn't an actual problem with the truck. GM programmed the timing anomaly into the Duramax and now that some customers have caught wind of it they will be at the dealerships door knocking saying "something is wrong with my truck please fix it for free" when there isn't any problem. GM isn't going to tell anyone why they did it or what its for. That tech now has to waste his time on a problem that doesn't exist and wont make the dealership a single dime. In fact...its now costing the dealership money for that tech to chase a problem that doesn't exist while he could've been working on an actual real problem that will make the dealership money. Time = money. Wasted time = lost or wasted money.
__________________
05 2500HD CC/SB, LT, 2WD, Black
AFE Stage II w/Pro-Gaurd 7; E/J w/A;
4" MotoBlue straight piped no CAT; EGR blocked and Fingered; PCV Bypass; TranSynd; Low beam/fog light mod; High idle mod; UC6/LUX

US Navy EOD (Desert Storm)
Jer 33:3 Cry out to me and I will show you GREAT and MIGHTY things that you do not know.
Do everything on purpose for a purpose lest it be a thorn in someone's side and waste of everyone's time.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM
gl4787's Avatar
gl4787 gl4787 is offline
<--needs parts
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDuramax View Post
Dealerships avoid warranty claims if at all possible. We all know this...its nothing new. They get screwed many times because of fraudulent or incorrect warranty claims. My statement is directed at a tech trying to keep the dealership from suffering an unnecessary warranty claim over something that only exists in the customers mind and isn't an actual problem with the truck. GM programmed the timing anomaly into the Duramax and now that some customers have caught wind of it they will be at the dealerships door knocking saying "something is wrong with my truck please fix it for free" when there isn't any problem. GM isn't going to tell anyone why they did it or what its for. That tech now has to waste his time on a problem that doesn't exist and wont make the dealership a single dime. In fact...its now costing the dealership money for that tech to chase a problem that doesn't exist while he could've been working on an actual real problem that will make the dealership money. Time = money. Wasted time = lost or wasted money.
I guess I can see where you're correct to a certain extent, however, I've made a lot of money over the years on warranty work at a dealership and to say that warranty work is avoided if at all possible is 100% incorrect. As a matter of fact I regularly do warranty repairs on vehicle's that are found on inspection that a customer would have never even know about if I had never found.
__________________
2003 EC/LB 4X4 LT - Built trans w/ triple disc, Fleece lock up box, EFI by Rob, FASS, ARPs, Little odds and ends. 12.2s w/ Spray
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM
THEFERMANATOR's Avatar
THEFERMANATOR THEFERMANATOR is offline
LEGALLY INSANE
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Posts: 3,345
Default

I'm still going to venture it was done to control cylinder imbalance to reduce crank stress. It's not an issue, but the engine is quiet in so many other regards, that this non issue has become an issue because it doesn't fit in with the other sounds of the engine. I know this knocking on decel has been there since day 1 as my LB7 did it, but it was a more uniform noise as all cylinder were at the same timing. It just wasn't noticeable to most as the noise fit in with the other noises. People are now expecting gas engine quietness from a diesel under all circumstances. I'm curious to see if any crank failures come of it if/when the aftermarket "FIXXES" this noise with tuning?
__________________
1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Mark06 Mark06 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California
Posts: 8
Default

I've heard the 2017 Ford F series 6.7L Diesel and it doesn't make any acceleration or deceleration knocking sounds. This sound might be due to the slower response time of the new solenoid injectors GM is now using.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM
flashwilson7@gmail.com flashwilson7@gmail.com is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Not only is mine making the knocking. I had my windows down turning into a parking lot and the front end was making a popping noise took it to the dealership and they found a nut loose on the axle they tighten it up but still doing it so they are replacing the front axles


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM
IOWA LLY's Avatar
IOWA LLY IOWA LLY is offline
Yes, its really me
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
I'm still going to venture it was done to control cylinder imbalance to reduce crank stress. It's not an issue, but the engine is quiet in so many other regards, that this non issue has become an issue because it doesn't fit in with the other sounds of the engine. I know this knocking on decel has been there since day 1 as my LB7 did it, but it was a more uniform noise as all cylinder were at the same timing. It just wasn't noticeable to most as the noise fit in with the other noises. People are now expecting gas engine quietness from a diesel under all circumstances. I'm curious to see if any crank failures come of it if/when the aftermarket "FIXXES" this noise with tuning?


How is timing at 0% throttle, with virtually no fuel, and no load, going to hurt, or help the crank?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2003 GMC CCSB LLY
Built by me, tuned by me.

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 PM
THEFERMANATOR's Avatar
THEFERMANATOR THEFERMANATOR is offline
LEGALLY INSANE
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Posts: 3,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
How is timing at 0% throttle, with virtually no fuel, and no load, going to hurt, or help the crank?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The pilot pulse can fuel upwards of 8mm3 of fuel IIRC from looking at other tune files. Seems to me MANY have had crank failures just cruising along, let off the throttle, and bam it happens. Maybe GM is on to something we don't know about with it, maybe not. I know I'm not the only person who has said even in thos thread, that the "fix" could cause issues. Unless they put a cylinder pressure monitor in the engine when they make the change, nobody will know what it will do.
__________________
1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Ne-max's Avatar
Ne-max Ne-max is offline
I like turtles
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: omaha ne
Posts: 2,312

Default

You guys dont think the engineers didnt notice the tick sound? Im sure there is a legit reason.
__________________
2006 ccsb Lbz Tow rig
2006 rclb 6.6
The fun stuff. Built motor, trans, triples
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM
THEFERMANATOR's Avatar
THEFERMANATOR THEFERMANATOR is offline
LEGALLY INSANE
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Posts: 3,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
You guys dont think the engineers didnt notice the tick sound? Im sure there is a legit reason.
Which is what I've been saying. I'm betting theres a valid reason for it.
__________________
1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM
2004LB7's Avatar
2004LB7 2004LB7 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcal
Posts: 522

Default

Is it possible it is for some kind of engine breaking? Early combustion to resist the pistons coming up thus slowing the engine
__________________
2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 PM
dmaxerLLY's Avatar
dmaxerLLY dmaxerLLY is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 50
Default

Ticking noise is definitely there, only when coasting from the top of a gear. RPM has to be up prior to lifting for the knock to sound. Shift strategy is sorta weird compared to my lmm, overall it feels solid but it needs a tune up in the performance department, granted it is a 3500 dually its no slouch.
__________________
08 GMC "work truck"
4" mbrp DP back
3" mbrp down pipe
Browns diesel EFI live dsp5
Airdog 4g 165
S&B intake
Cat filter conversion
PPE rail shim, pcv re-route
www.instagram.com/cbmn91
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 AM
RPM Motorsports's Avatar
RPM Motorsports RPM Motorsports is offline
smokinum

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Valley Ca.
Posts: 3,147

Default

Down shift strategy is definitely odd haha. I find myself looking to see if I accidentally turned tow haul on. The decel "tow haul" style down shifting would prob net better fuel mileage, if it was like we were used to on the older models. Seems like once it goes 2/1, 1st gear is normal and neutral. Guess that's my only complaint, I like the coasting/neutral down shift compared to the new Exhaust brake feel of the new truck (yes it's off )
__________________
(Russ) NorCalTruck.com
17 CC/SB L5P 4x4 High Country
73 RC/NB LBZ Nova Grocery getter
70 RC/NB LBZ Camaro Pro Stock
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 PM
chevyburnout1's Avatar
chevyburnout1 chevyburnout1 is offline
Fixing it till it breaks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berthoud, CO
Posts: 2,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
The pilot pulse can fuel upwards of 8mm3 of fuel IIRC from looking at other tune files. Seems to me MANY have had crank failures just cruising along, let off the throttle, and bam it happens. Maybe GM is on to something we don't know about with it, maybe not. I know I'm not the only person who has said even in thos thread, that the "fix" could cause issues. Unless they put a cylinder pressure monitor in the engine when they make the change, nobody will know what it will do.
I'm truthfully surprised with what all is going on in that cylinder that GM hasn't implement cylinder pressure sensors like in the Volkswagen TDI's. I never realized this was a factory thing until I got a check engine light for one.
__________________
Dustin

'03 Silverado LB7
GT3788/CT6x88mm compounds _ 60's _ duals _ fingers _ 6480af _ some tuning...
'77 K-10
52"/56" front/rear leaf springs and rear shackle flip: 8" lift total _ D60/14blt 4:56s _ 40" Swamper IROK's _ 383 w/nitrous _ SM465 _ 208tcase
'97 Cadillac Deville
Morimoto Mini 5000k projector headlight conversion _ 500watts in the trunk _ 20's _ Flowmasters _ Tuned ECM _ Rear mount turbo in the works....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors