Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
<--- slippery roads

ok more pics...

I originally was just going to do that cross brace along the bottom of that hole that the previous owner cut in the base, but I kinda got in the welding "zone" and my welds were turning out OK (or, ok for being out of position/vertical), so I ended up seam-welding the basically the entire saw.

(I know some of you welders here that are certified in this and that are gonna snicker at them, but they're good enough for me and Ive personally never had a weld fail on anything structural)

The factory more or less tack welds the pieces together, or only does an inch long bead on seams, so I decided to make it stronger. Dunno how much it will help stiffen the saw but it certainly cant hurt.

I also got a gear motor that Ill mount inside to slow the saw down for metal cutting. 80 bucks on ebay, perfect gear ratio, Leeson motor (made in USA, not a taiwan piece of crap), and the motor is TEFC so I wont have to worry about metal dust crapping up the windings...

I might try to do final prep work and paint it tomorrow...

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks

Last edited by duratothemax; 11-11-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
John

lookin good....
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
<--- slippery roads

Heres the fancy gearmotor I got that Im going to drive the bandsaw with. Its like a 40:1 reduction I think, which will give me roughly 140-ish surface feet per minute. It will also have some nice torque as well.

2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Finally underway !!!!!

Sweet project Ben , should be a nice Saw when your done with it .
01 DMAX 2500 HD = Extreme Prejudice -> EPR Triple turbo Kit, EPR Allison Transmission, Aria's Forded Pistons, Howards Xbeam Rods , Built Engine, Ported Heads , Stage 2 cam, and Gorilla Girdle all by Randy's Engine And Machine , PPE Dual CP3's with 120% stroker pump , DDP 47LMP Injectors , 2-BD Diesel 165 GPH lift pumps , Frozen Boost W/A Cooler , 4link with coil overs at every corner , and a bunch of stuff I am probably forgetting.

9.87 @ 143.56, DA=6550

www.extremeprejudiceracing.com

2001 GMC CC/LB "The tow rig" , EPR Triple Turbo's EPR Trans , EFI live , RDL Headers and mouth peice, 305/55 R20 Coopers , 5" exhaust .
Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Hotrodder

is it done yet?

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 AM
FNG

We got a big roll of band saw blade in 14 tpi and 18 tpi. I forget how many feet came in a box. We had to use the welder. It worked great.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
is it done yet?
no not yet, havent had much time.

Jobs that pay are taking priority over this.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
<--- slippery roads

finally painted it.

I used a Devoe 2-part epoxy paint custom tinted to match the original Crescent/Delta gray. Came out nicely I think. I kinda wanted it a little glossier so I may go over it with a coat of urethane clear coat, like for car paint. I dont see why that wouldnt work.

I also got one tiny drip in it, and it was OK, but then I touched it and made it 100x worse.

I wonder if I can wet sand this paint so get rid of the drip, and then clear coat over it?? Anyone have any ideas?

Once it dries Ill start putting it back together.

ben

Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Hotrodder

Looks good As long as you have a good amount of base you should be able to lightly sand the problem area's and then clear it no problem..
Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom8726 View Post
Looks good As long as you have a good amount of base you should be able to lightly sand the problem area's and then clear it no problem..
wet sand or dry sand? What grit?

the only thing I wasnt sure about is because its a 2-part epoxy paint, I didnt know if that made any difference...

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
John

it's coming along nice! how tall is that? it looks huge in those pictures.

Traded in: 06 CC LBZ,LT-3 w/ sunroof, MBRP cool duals,Transgo jr, prodigy brake controller, PPE, remote starter, Readylift leveling kit
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 AM
<--- slippery roads

not sure, its over my head and im 6' 2"

Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
John

Ya it looks big, u do alot of custom fab work, what are your plans for it?

Traded in: 06 CC LBZ,LT-3 w/ sunroof, MBRP cool duals,Transgo jr, prodigy brake controller, PPE, remote starter, Readylift leveling kit
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
wet sand or dry sand? What grit?

the only thing I wasnt sure about is because its a 2-part epoxy paint, I didnt know if that made any difference...
I am not a body/paint guru by any means, but I have painted a couple cars and the tanks and fenders on a couple Harleys. So take my advice at that.. I would start off with something close to a 220 grit and work your way out to a 400-600 grit, to take all the deep scratches out. As far as wet or dry sanding, I think you could get away with either but wet sanding the final stage's out would probably net better final results. Just make sure you dont go to deep or obviously you will need to re-spray that area. I think a flat clear would be better on an industrial piece like that. Make sure the clear is compatible with the epoxy paint you used..
Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
<--- slippery roads

ok now...should I go over it with a clear coat to make it a "mirror/glass" finish????

here are some better pictures of the current finish. Im leaning towards leaving it as-is, sort of a more industrial look than if it was reflecting every bit of light in the shop.

But let me know what you guys think.

ben