Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Gearhead

Sounds ol skool tough........
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Making Chips

F rollers. Solid carbide guides.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 AM
<--- slippery roads

ok I picked it up for 400 dollars.

Surface rust, and ill need to do a cosmetic restoration, but it runs very nicely and I can throw a pressure treated 4x4 (wood) through it as fast as I can feed it and the blade does not wander at all. Very smooth and solid machine. Once I slow it down I think it will make a sweet metal machine.

It was made between 1945-1950. Im going to take it all apart, clean it up, paint it, make it new, etc...

It also came with probably 300+ dollars worth of extra blades. Ill post pics up later on today.

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
<--- slippery roads

here are some crappy blackberry pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00378.jpg (61.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00381.jpg (99.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00382.jpg (78.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00383.jpg (78.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00384.jpg (64.7 KB, 37 views)

2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 AM
"Social Security"

I'm betting that saw will still be working well long after the ones built today have been scrapped.

04lly, ccsb, Silver Birch, EFI Live, SC4,
Tuning by Power Max
Engine by Danville Performance
Headers and up-pipes by Rick D. Lance
Old 10-24-2009, 04:39 PM
<--- slippery roads

OK...basically have it all ready for paint! The whole exterior is 'basically' smooth as glass....or brand new metal, I guess.

large picture warning...

I painted the inside of the cabinet with black rustoleum rust-tough enamel...no one is going to see the inside and I wanted something that was going to make sure the rust didnt get any worse

The red circles are a bunch of screw holes that used to be in the frame, but I welded them up and ground them down smooth, looks much nicer now.

the base had some "cratering" in the rust, so I just smoothed as best I could, and Ill just build up the paint really thick

the tractor is made in wisconsin too, about 15 minutes from where the saw was made! Little bit newer than the saw though

cleaned up the whole tensioning assembly, and wirewheeled the ways...Ill put some grease on there and it should work very nicely.

"polished" the wheels

original/old style name tag that still says Crescent on it!

Ill post up more when I get a chance...

Ben

Last edited by duratothemax; 10-24-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
John

that's a nice looking saw, gonna be in the market for one very soon myself, Any idea how much it weighs?

Last edited by johnluke; 10-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:09 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnluke View Post
that's a nice looking saw, gonna be in the market for one very soon myself, Any idea how much it weighs?
~650lbs for the wood cutting-only version.

I think mine is from ~1948, but they made the same basic saw from right after the war until well into the late 1970's. In the late 1970's they completely redesigned (although it does share many basic design traits with the old design) it with a squared off cabinet, etc...and Delta still makes it to this day.

Parts are very easy to get for these old saws because they made them for such a long time and they were quite popular.

I think the wood/metal version is around ~750+, due to the extra weight of the 2-speed gear reduction box.

Ben

Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM
John

imo alot of the newer saws and things like that are not even close to the quality of what you got there. I have a 5' jump shear from appx. 1950, as long as the blade stays sharp that thing will cut over and over, it also weighs about 1,300. all cast iron (i believe). Everything anymore feels so flimsy and cheap, unless you want to spend a ton of money.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Making Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnluke View Post
imo alot of the newer saws and things like that are not even close to the quality of what you got there. I have a 5' jump shear from appx. 1950, as long as the blade stays sharp that thing will cut over and over, it also weighs about 1,300. all cast iron (i believe). Everything anymore feels so flimsy and cheap, unless you want to spend a ton of money.
X2

Compare an old Bridgeport to a new one

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Its going to be tough to find something good for under a grand. Most older industrial stuff is 3 phase too. Wood saws can be convereted but most of them are not rugged enough and it is a total PITA. For the time and money I had into convererting one I wished I had just bought either a used one or an $1500 one from grizly. Quality vertical band saws are pricey.
Member #2

06 2500HD LLY reg cab 4wd

Ever feel like lying, down inside a grave
Listen to the elegy, a buyer of the hate
Ever dance beside the devil, taste the barrel of a gauge,
Ever pull the trigger, the light begins to fade
Feel like slipping away
Old 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM

You want to be around 100 FPM for SS and 120-140 for steel.
Member #2

Feel like slipping away
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Buick 6 View Post
Its going to be tough to find something good for under a grand. Most older industrial stuff is 3 phase too..
so buy a VFD...150 bucks and theres your 3 phase...

Quote:
Wood saws can be convereted but most of them are not rugged enough and it is a total PITA.
this one is rugged enough, trust me. Like I said Crescent made a wood and metal version of this saw. The difference between the two, the metal version had a gearbox bolted in place of the wood versions' basic double sheave/pulley setup.

ben

Last edited by duratothemax; 10-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
so buy a VFD...150 bucks and theres your 3 phase...

this one is rugged enough, trust me. Like I said Crescent made a wood and metal version of this saw. The difference between the two, the metal version had a gearbox bolted in place of the wood versions' basic double sheave/pulley setup.

ben
Just saw the pics now, I only read the begining of the thread.

I didn't know they made VFDs that will take single phase on the input side. I run all my stuff with a rotary phase converter. Have a link to one of these VFDs?
Member #2

Feel like slipping away
Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
I didn't know they made VFDs that will take single phase on the input side. I run all my stuff with a rotary phase converter. Have a link to one of these VFDs?
c'mon paul you're supposed to know more about this stuff than me, theyve been out for like 20 years!! :

The Teco FM50 is a popular choice, its like 130-150 bucks. It will easily drive a 2hp motor. Of course there are bigger ones, 3hp, 5hp, etc. Allen Bradley makes good ones too.

230vac single phase in, balanced (no not ghetto rigged/'faked' like those piece of crap static converters that do nothing more than put a capacitor on the primary winding and only power 2 of the 3 legs) true 3 phase 230vac output. They basically do everything a rotary phase converter can do, and a LOT more. It also has inputs for a remote trigger so you dont have to actually push the on/off button on the VFD itself, etc...

They even have some VFD's that can take 115vac (wall outlet) and output 230vac 3 phase.

You can program them any way you want...variable speed, soft start, reversing, brake programming, and more.

If I ever got any 3 phase equipment I would use VFD's over a RPC any day.

ben

Last edited by duratothemax; 10-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.