Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
NOT IN OREGON

pretty sure its either or, the whole point is to prevent the roll of the stock centerlink, the straight centerlink eliminates the weak link in the original version, someone chime in and tell me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure they both were designed to eliminate the rolling of the stock centerlink so i don't think you want to or even can run them together.
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
Old 12-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
pretty sure its either or, the whole point is to prevent the roll of the stock centerlink, the straight centerlink eliminates the weak link in the original version, someone chime in and tell me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure they both were designed to eliminate the rolling of the stock centerlink so i don't think you want to or even can run them together.
I understand there is no point in running a brace in a true straight centerlink. The kryptonite straight centerlink is not a true straight centerlink which allows for a better steering geometry and therefore needs braces. I'm just curious to see if the all season brace would work with the kryptonite centerlink vs cognito braces. Or maybe it would be better to go back to stock centerlink and sleeves with the all season brace if I really want better steering. I just don't want to bend/break anything while racing.
Sold Wife's truck: 06 LBZ LT 4x4: Transgo Jr, 5" Exhaust, EFI Live by Bobo, Sleeves, Pump Rub Fix, PPE race valve, PPE airbox mod, Cognito braces, Edge CTS, AD ll 165, Bilstein 5100s, MagHytec rear diff cover, Alligator PCV reroute, SDP EGR Delete
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman777 View Post
I understand there is no point in running a brace in a true straight centerlink. The kryptonite straight centerlink is not a true straight centerlink which allows for a better steering geometry and therefore needs braces. I'm just curious to see if the all season brace would work with the kryptonite centerlink vs cognito braces. Or maybe it would be better to go back to stock centerlink and sleeves with the all season brace if I really want better steering. I just don't want to bend/break anything while racing.
What is it you don't like? I went from stock centerlink with brace and rare parts tie rods to the Kryptonite setup with cognito braces and didn't really notice any difference other than the steering feels tighter (In a good way). No loss of turning radius, no odd tire wear, etc. Both work well but I'm less worried about launching hard with the kryptonite.
Andrew, Greg, & Branson@S&S Diesel Motorsports
Evan@Limitless Diesel
Mark@Danville Performance
Chris@ARP
Anthony@XDP
Matt Hatfield
LSN Powder Coating
Old 12-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Hotrodder

Kryptonite is some really fine parts. They work great. You can't go wrong using them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
03 GMC 4x4 CC/SB Intake, Dual Exhaust, built motor by Me, Cognito Kryptonite Suspension upgrades, Custom Traction Bars by Me, Suncoast Trans, 1055-1 Convertor, Two AirDog II 200's, Billet Sump, Venom Tuning AKA Me, Custom Fabbed Fuel system, Flexlite Fans, Best Time to date 7.14 at 98.21 mph 1211.8HP 1954.5 FT/Lb torque
2013 LML Daily Driver, 5" FloPro Exhaust, Venom Tuning, Ad 165 4G Lift Pump, Upcoming HSP Billet Bridge And Piping, Upcoming CP3 Conversion
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Hotrodder

I don't have the brace but i run the kryptonite centerlink, FWIW the idler and pitman arm studs are not moved from the stock location, SO i would venture to GUESS that the brace would still work. Just crawled under my truck and took a look. The only thing that might make a difference is the thickness difference between the centerlinks. Other than that it looks like it'd fit just fine.

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
LBZ & 4x4 Conversion in progress...
Turned into a frame off restomod
Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
What is it you don't like? I went from stock centerlink with brace and rare parts tie rods to the Kryptonite setup with cognito braces and didn't really notice any difference other than the steering feels tighter (In a good way). No loss of turning radius, no odd tire wear, etc. Both work well but I'm less worried about launching hard with the kryptonite.
Yea I like the kryptonite setup. I don't have first hand experience but I have read a lot of good things about kryptonite. They seem to have the best balance between strength and steering geometry. The only thing I don't like is the price. I currently have a true straight centerlink and it sucks driving on the street. Tire scrub is bad and turning radius sucks. It is great for the track but not the street IOP. I would like to go back to a stock centerlink with sleeves and the all season brace but I'm worried about breaking something. I would think the ultimate setup would be the kryptonite kit plus the all season brace but that is more than I want to spend right now.
Sold Wife's truck: 06 LBZ LT 4x4: Transgo Jr, 5" Exhaust, EFI Live by Bobo, Sleeves, Pump Rub Fix, PPE race valve, PPE airbox mod, Cognito braces, Edge CTS, AD ll 165, Bilstein 5100s, MagHytec rear diff cover, Alligator PCV reroute, SDP EGR Delete
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Hotrodder

If i was to go back and do it all again(hindsight) i would stick with the stock centerlink, kryptonite tie rods, tonys brace, and the ultimate idler arm just for good measure. Best combo for the $$ IMO

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
LBZ & 4x4 Conversion in progress...
Turned into a frame off restomod
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
pro-procrastinator

Just received mine via ups today, looks great. Is the material for sure nylon on where it rubs? Just wondering what it is

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me and those whom I bought parts from.

Special thanks to Evan, James, Russell, Mark and all the others I'm forgetting.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
Allseason Diesel Per.

yes nylon. polish the front diff where it rides please.

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com
Spools & 38-Spline Pulling/Drag Racing Axle Shafts
Billet Engine Plates, Sled Pulling Performance Upgrades,
Allison Trans Blankets, PCV Reroute Kits,
High Flow Intake Manifolds 2001-2010 Duramax Diesel

Up to 150% more airflow and over 40 HP gain
Six time TTPA points champ 2006 to 2011

Member of the 1200 HP club if there was one.

Home to all the "Dirty Hookers"
DH 1.0, DH 2.0, and the new DH 3.0(XXX)
Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burkhard View Post
This may be a stupid question but can someone explain the polishing part. Are we just taking some fine sandpaper or something and smoothing off the metal or is it completely different?

3" downpipe
5" MBRP straight pipe axle dump
PCV REROUTE EGR Delete
EFI by Kory
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Looks like its time to do some r&r parts ill make the cognito stuff my paper weights at work
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
This may be a stupid question but can someone explain the polishing part. Are we just taking some fine sandpaper or something and smoothing off the metal or is it completely different?
Just sand down the sharp edges and take away any aluminum slag from the casting. Make it nice and smooth so the Teflon doesn't get chewed up by rough aluminum. I just used an angled air cutoff tool with a polishing pad attachment and buffed it all up so there was nothing I could even catch a fingernail on.
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Hotrodder

For you guys with lifted trucks you can fab a brace like this in a few hours. Just take your time and make sure you get the right angle on the pitman & idler arm so it barely contacts the diff and doesn't contact the frame on full lock. I made one for each of my trucks. Is it as good as Tony's? Absolutely not. But it does work great and I have $0 in it.

07 LBZ/alli cc/sb
s475/stock, race casts, exergy 60s
12.5@108mph

85 K5 Jimmy
6.2L Diesel
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM
pro-procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burkhard View Post
Thanks tony! And I'll polish it before I install

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me and those whom I bought parts from.

Special thanks to Evan, James, Russell, Mark and all the others I'm forgetting.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
Just sand down the sharp edges and take away any aluminum slag from the casting. Make it nice and smooth so the Teflon doesn't get chewed up by rough aluminum. I just used an angled air cutoff tool with a polishing pad attachment and buffed it all up so there was nothing I could even catch a fingernail on.
Preciate it!

3" downpipe
5" MBRP straight pipe axle dump
PCV REROUTE EGR Delete
EFI by Kory