Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Gearhead

Default Lb7 to lly swap

ok guys, this is my first post here, I would have put in on the duramax forum where I've been for a while but I just don't find the help I need. So on with my post.
I've been doing a lot of research about swapping my top end over to an lly top end. Seeing how my truck is an '02 I would need to pretty much get a custom harness from Ben. I know 2003 and up is plug and play. I searched high and low and found a 2003 lb7 in awesome running condition for dirt cheap. It is now sitting in my driveway. My question for you guys is can I take the underhood harness and swap it to my truck? Would everything still work ( gauges, trans, Ect)? I wouldn't do it until I have all my lly parts together. I'm just doing research at this point
2002 GMC 3500 Lb7, crew cab long bed dually , Kennedy high idle mod, auto light mod, coolant filter setup, air lift 5000's on the rear, dee zee running boards, running boards lights, back rack, bed liner rocker and lower panels all around,
Old 01-17-2016, 01:32 PM
pro-procrastinator

Are you wanting to lly swap the 02 or the 03?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ght=impossible

I think there's a thread in Repower from Russ about an LLY swap he did, too. Just search the threads for RPMMotorsports.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Gearhead

I'm wanting to swap the 02. I've read the "I've seen the impossible thread", and have searched think even messaged Russ on Facebook and got no response
2002 GMC 3500 Lb7, crew cab long bed dually , Kennedy high idle mod, auto light mod, coolant filter setup, air lift 5000's on the rear, dee zee running boards, running boards lights, back rack, bed liner rocker and lower panels all around,
Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Drag Racer

Try bt diesel works
http://www.btdieselworks.com/collections/wiringharness
Suncoast 1058
EFI LIVE
FASS 150
CALTRACS
12.73 @ 100 mph (Fontana)
8.10 w/ 1.82 60' (Irwindale)
TWO WHEEL DRIVE, 6" LIFT 35" Tires
ANYONE FASTER?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I'd have to send Ben an LLY harness to be modified
Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM
pro-procrastinator

To answer the question I think your asking..

No you can't take the harness off the 03 and plug it into the 02 and everything work.

Now to swap your 02 truck you need ally engine and truck side harness, ecm, etc.. You have to send the lly harness to ben to be modified to fit the 02 truck. When you get the harness back it'll be 99% plug in, and your factory 02 gauges etc will Work.

Basically if you bought the 03 truck for parts to do the swamp you wasted your money on it. If you bought it to drive while you do the lly conversion on your 02 then cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Should've found an LLY donor instead of wasting your money buying the 03.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 01-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Gearhead

The 03 fell into my lap for 800.00 YES 800.00
clrussel thats what I wanted to know thank you
Old 01-17-2016, 03:23 PM
smokinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkatubi06 View Post
I'm wanting to swap the 02. I've read the "I've seen the impossible thread", and have searched think even messaged Russ on Facebook and got no response
I only see FB messages if I'm on a desk top sorry, I haven't checked them in a while. No, you can't just use the 03 harness in the 02 without modding a few things.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Moved to Repower/Transplant.

Privately owned since August 2006.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Motorsports View Post
I only see FB messages if I'm on a desk top sorry, I haven't checked them in a while. No, you can't just use the 03 harness in the 02 without modding a few things.
Hey man I understand people are busy, I hate desktops. What would need to be modded to make this harness work.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Hotrodder

There are a couple ways to get this done. If you want to run it as a true LLY send your LLY harness to BT and get it re-worked for an 02 truck.

The other method is controlling the LLY with your current LB7 ECM. You'll need custom tuning to get the motor happy and run correctly. Russ is very familiar with this method and has several trucks out there running this way. You would have to stick with the LB7 turbo for this to work. I did this conversion in my 02 last year, have 20K miles on it since then and still drive it everyday. If you have any questions about my swap lmk. I followed Russ' method and purchased the tuning from him.

Rick

1970 Chevelle Duramax Hot Rod, '04 LB7/TH400-gear vendor, S475/factory IHI, 65% inj, 10 mil pump, SoCal AF cam, Valve springs, Push Rods, LBZ rods..... 10 sec cruzer :-)

2002 2500HD LLY swap 5-24-15.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

I literally just completed this swap on my 02.

You will need an LLY harness to send to ben. the 03 harness wont work as it has the wrong ecm connections and NSBU connections

then there is a laundry list of parts you will need to swap it all over if you want to use the LLY ECM

there is the other route that use the LB7 ECM and tuning to correct the issues but ive read guys having tuning headaches trying to get drivablilty back to like it was (if your picky). I went the LLY ECM route with Bens harness and it was 100% plug and play. well worth it imho and now i can run a VGT turbo down the road as well.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
I literally just completed this swap on my 02.

You will need an LLY harness to send to ben. the 03 harness wont work as it has the wrong ecm connections and NSBU connections

then there is a laundry list of parts you will need to swap it all over if you want to use the LLY ECM

there is the other route that use the LB7 ECM and tuning to correct the issues but ive read guys having tuning headaches trying to get drivablilty back to like it was (if your picky). I went the LLY ECM route with Bens harness and it was 100% plug and play. well worth it imho and now i can run a VGT turbo down the road as well.
Exactly what this says above................... specially if you are picky, very true. The tuning would be the hardest part, if you had to start from scratch. But I'm sure someone would be willing to sell you a proven tune to keep your LB7 ECM in there and make it work. The drive ability of my 02 LLY swap is really close to what a factory LLY/LB7 would be. In the winter (right now) it does have a slight injector knock to it, but in the summer it is flawless. Its super smooth and quiet as compared to the old LB7. And has plenty of power. I was skeptical at first, but as previously stated I personally have over 20K miles on this swap. And I know Russ has Hundreds of thousands of miles out there with other swaps running this same tuning (LLY controlled by a LB7 ECM).

Either way works well, and either way will cost you some extra cash due to it being an 02. If I were doing this again with an 02 the first thing I would look at is if it is a Cali truck or Federal. If it was Federal I would do the swap the same was as I have already done. If it is a Cali truck I would purchase a harness from BT. Just my 2 cents and personal experience.

1970 Chevelle Duramax Hot Rod, '04 LB7/TH400-gear vendor, S475/factory IHI, 65% inj, 10 mil pump, SoCal AF cam, Valve springs, Push Rods, LBZ rods..... 10 sec cruzer :-)

2002 2500HD LLY swap 5-24-15.