Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-31-2016, 11:35 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Built the rear bumper over the last couple of days. Waiting on my wheel to come in to build the tire carrier.

When I cut the rear crossmember out to put tube in, I found the gas tank had brackets that mounted to it from bottom and top. This made me realize I could raise the gas tank 2.5" up from stock. That's great since the damn thing hangs so low lol. Overall I like how it came out and is pretty damn strong

Parts cut out and empty void under there

Starting to take shape

Fully welded and painted, working on the step plate next

And dimple died, welded on and all repainted

James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Hotrodder

you bending the pipes up?looks fantastic
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Yup, I do all the bending with a protools bender of mine. It's a manual one that at some point I'll converter to air over hydraulic. There is pretty much a full fab shop in my garage.
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Looks good, but I thought all you southern folks used more diamond plate ...
Old 01-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Not in the southwest. Only time you see it is on those gawd awful old school tube ranch bumpers from the 80s
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM
pro-procrastinator

Looking good James

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Yup, I do all the bending with a protools bender of mine. It's a manual one that at some point I'll converter to air over hydraulic. There is pretty much a full fab shop in my garage.
thats awesome.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Got the spare tire carrier done. Swings out with the rear door but the door does not carry the weight of the spare. Did this by creating a "swinger" to let the two pivots work when on different planes. Then added an old bearing out of a kx450 to support the bottom when closed. Sucker is rock solid. Very happy with how it came out. Now just need my wheel to come in so I can put the spare on. Been using one off the tracker for mock up.

Video of how it swings
http://youtu.be/UDfanpbLzMQ

And some pics

James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM

Been collecting parts for my front long travel setup. going to consist of a pair of Sway Away 2.5" 8" stroke coilovers, 2.0 4" fox hydraulic bump stops, and there will be space for a 3.0" bypass shock in the future. Using the suspension program i have, i came up with the best way i could for a 3" over kit and still get as much wheel travel as i can without making the geometry start doing weird things. right now, i plan to use the stock knuckle/hub. the snout is bigger than a D35 but smaller than a D44. should hold up to some abuse (which it already has lol).

biggest thing was trying to get scrub radius decent with stock spindles as well as keeping camber from going really negative at droop. It actually came out pretty decent. i could get better numbers with a custom knuckle but i want to see how far the stock one will last and most likely will do just fine with what i plan to do with it. i have 0 bump steer through the suspension travel accept the last 1" of droop where it goes a 1/8" toe out. Also made sure the inner CV joints go no more than a max of 24* at full droop or bump. right now, with proper shock placement, im getting 13.5" of wheel travel based on the rendering. i have a feeling i may be able to squeek an inch more out of it as i was being conservative with angles. I have room for more droop as the CV angle is my hindrance. I set it up to run 35s on 9" wide 3.75" back spaced wheels. i really dont want to run 35s as ill have to do alot of fender cutting to make them work at full bump but i built that option in for down the road. biggest thing is figuring out if im going to be grinding the hell out of my calipers to run 15"s with no wheel spacers up front or swap to 17"s. currently on the hunt for a set of Walker Evan 17" beadlocks

some pics for you all of the program
full droop

full bump

its a pretty damn accurate program. this is the same program i have used to see how the geometry has been done on certain lift kits and stock trucks for our HD's. Ive been meaning to upload the LML but have not had my dads truck long enough to get all the data needed. By no means is it like solidworks but it does all i need it to.

bumpstops and cans i picked up

and i picked up a section of front frame from a friend to mock my suspension up on. this will be a good jig for shock placement and tower placement. just need to build the jigs for longer lower arms and a jig for the upper arm.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Making chips or sparks

James, I like the swinging hinge you made. Looks great and works even better. I am sure it will be copied many times in the future.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
1993 GMC Sonoma 4WD V6 D.D.
Jesus Is The Only Way!
2002 RC/LB LB7~~Sold~~

Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX Slim View Post
James, I like the swinging hinge you made. Looks great and works even better. I am sure it will be copied many times in the future.

oh by no means am i the first to have done it. many guys have before me, its where i got the idea to build mine. hardest part is figuring out the swing but its really not bad to get right
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Making chips or sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
oh by no means am i the first to have done it. many guys have before me, its where i got the idea to build mine. hardest part is figuring out the swing but its really not bad to get right

It's the first one I've seen. I'm not around stuff like that much. I like it!

1993 GMC Sonoma 4WD V6 D.D.
Jesus Is The Only Way!
2002 RC/LB LB7~~Sold~~

Old 12-27-2017, 04:45 PM

Damn near a year since I updated this thread lol. Pretty much been driving it. AEM started giving me fits the last couple months. Horrible lean spots and stuttering (verified with my afr gauge). Tried all sorts of stuff tuning and mechanical and said “f**k it, let’s see if jumping the connectors back to stock fixes it”. She’s been great. Runs rich in open loop cause of the larger injectors and timing has no reduction from the 12* base I set it at but since I had wot at 0 in the AEM for timing reduction, I figured it wouldn’t be an issue. Been great for the last month this way.

Anyhow, worked on the rig a bit a few weeks ago in prep for a wheelin trip last weekend before Christmas.

Made the pass side axle easily changeable by making a stub shaft to go in the differential. Normally the stub is apart of the cv axle which means changing it requires taking apart the whole front end where the driver side is 4 bolts and it’s out.

This is the stub. Cut a broke pass side stub off, then cut the flange from an extra driver side axle I had. Lathed then down and welded the ends together. Also had to cut the tops of some bolts down to clear the flange. Trimmed the stock mount too to clear

All bolted in. Used some tapered Allen’s and recessed the holes in the 3 bolt flange so they would clear the mount bolts. All bolted up.

Went out last Saturday and had a good time till I went to climb a rock and BOOM, there went the LF cv. Back up and go around it but the RR got bound up and didn’t see it and BOOM, there goes that axle. Swapped the LF out with my spare and made it 150ft before it blew cause it was too short (kind of a hybrid axle I was trying). So hopped on the mining road and 5mph all the way back to the truck/trailer

Here is where they blew. You can hear the Lf break soon as I try to climb the rock (should have known better than to crank the wheel full right and climb it). Then at about 1:27 rear axle goes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yuzy87M0Ik

So now she’s parked on the side yard while I start the 8.8 rear axle build I have for it (3 link, 5.13 gears, and spartan locker) and then convert the front cv to Toyota cv axles with 930 inner cv’s
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 AM

Since I blew my shit up last weekend, it’s upgrade game time.

Yanked the 8.8 out of the side yard and started tear down/housing clean up. Built some quick stands for my welding table and dropped the axle on top of it. Got it all torn down, cut the old perches and shock mounts cut off and ground flush, yanked the axles, carrier, pulled the ring gear off the carrier, pulled the backing plates and cleaned up where the axle tubes will be welded to the housing. Couple buddies will be helping me get that welded up correctly. Then it’s on to making the truss, new seals and putting the locker/5.13 gears in.

Brakes gone and that’s about it

Stripped down and ready

Decided to measure the difference from the 8.8 axle and the stock tracker

.26” larger than stock. Had Suzuki not necked the damn axle down at the splines, the 8.8 would only be .05” larger though the metallurgy of the 8.8 axle is much better than the Suzuki. Either way, the ring and pinion is significantly larger at 8.8” ring gear verse the 7.5” stocker.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-29-2017, 08:09 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Nice!!!

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.