Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Yes, its really me

I think itís also probably a market that is heavily influenced by the state. In Iowa a 6 speed is completely unnecessary in my opinion. However when I travel to Texas and the speed limit is 75 and if your going 80 your getting passed then I could see the appeal.

However, what most people donít understand, or donít want to admit is that the Duramax is happy to cruise along at 2500 rpm. Itís not happy or really designed to cruise along at low low rpms making big torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Standing Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@LimitlessDiesel View Post
I figured you'd have an ornery post and I understand you taking offense because of your time invested and it being your project and I agree on the Allison not being a race transmission because well...it's not. Unfortunately what I said is true and no way of going about is going to increase its effectiveness. But some people will still want just to have it as with many other modifications. I build competition transmissions on the regular and I get not even a handful of 6 speed conversion request a year so that says all I need to know. Unfortunately not to many people want a $20,000+ TH400 swap and 47/48 are far from the best option. This just my opinion from what I've seen and I apologize if you're taking it personal that's not my intention. It's great to have incredibly smart people like yourself in the industry who are able to come up with ideas and actually apply them.
There's nothing about it to take personal. This isn't a thread about personal feelings towards things.

This whole thing isn't much of a time consuming project as much as it's just a by-product of other development that is on the table. I figured some would find it useful and most would still retain the same views. Having heard the reviews of all the other conversions and knowing where all their IP had come from, I figured at minimum to provide something that was done from scratch, not stolen and in the end actually works.

The bigger picture to this is the ability to learn and understand the fundamental controls of the Allison calibrations and learn how to further control the software to do what we want and need to accomplish greater things with it down the road. IE... get that 7 second pass on an Allison, retain and control defuel properly and support further development and adaptation of the platform to other areas.

This is just to be a better thing for the people that are interested in this area of the Allison.

And because I was bored.

'04 GMC LLY

*Build Back In Progress*
505K Miles

'05 GMC LLY
LML Hybrid, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
Fuel Coming soon.
300K Miles

Big thanks to Mike L., Ira, James, Nate, Jon, Steve, Nick.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Hotrodder

I figured it would be more and understand it's ok for these trucks cruise at 2300+ rpm but was annoying and loud in my truck. It just wasn't bad enough for me to justify spending over $500 to change it.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:10 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post
I figured it would be more and understand it's ok for these trucks cruise at 2300+ rpm but was annoying and loud in my truck. It just wasn't bad enough for me to justify spending over $500 to change it.

Oh I hear ya. When I swapped to 4.56 gears from 3.73 on my 37ís, anything over 70mph drops mpg significantly even with tuning changes. Even at 70 Iím still 2mpg lower than I was on stock gears. Itís basically like my truck is on 245/75r16 tires (what it came factory with). I look forward to the lower engine speed (quieter), bring mpg up some, and cruise faster than 70mph loaded or unloaded without spinning the heck out of the engine the whole way.

Thatís the other thing, my pilot injection shuts off above 2500rpm which means when Iím going over 80, my wife knows (which leads to ďslow down!Ē) and things get a little louder inside lol. 85-90mph sounds like Iím ready to race anyone next to me lmao
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Oh I hear ya. When I swapped to 4.56 gears from 3.73 on my 37ís, anything over 70mph drops mpg significantly even with tuning changes. Even at 70 Iím still 2mpg lower than I was on stock gears. Itís basically like my truck is on 245/75r16 tires (what it came factory with). I look forward to the lower engine speed (quieter), bring mpg up some, and cruise faster than 70mph loaded or unloaded without spinning the heck out of the engine the whole way.

Thatís the other thing, my pilot injection shuts off above 2500rpm which means when Iím going over 80, my wife knows (which leads to ďslow down!Ē) and things get a little louder inside lol. 85-90mph sounds like Iím ready to race anyone next to me lmao
The pilots easy to take care of. Contour your cutoff table instead of a flat rpm cutoff. I cut pilot at 2300 in the upper fueling because I've found the turbo lights quicker without it, but in the cruise fuel areas I keep it till 2800 because sometimes pilot would kick out under half throttleor so, and I just didn't like the noise. Took a little time, but you never notice my pilot going out. And since you now have an lly, you can stagger when pilot goes out to furthur refine it.

As to a 6 speed swap, it would be nice, but I don't drive enough hwy to justify it anymore with my failing health. When I did my swap, the conversion's were still very new, since I was regearing anyways, I just opted for 3.42 gears. It gives me the same final drive on 5th as 6th does with 3,73's. And it helps me to drive the limit because at 70 I have zero drone, on stock injectors I was good till 75, but the 45 sacs start to drone at exactly 70.5, so I know when I'm doing 70 dead on now.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 AM
Always learning

Like Iwoa said I think a lot of it will be state influenced
Here in Florida if your not going 10 over your just a danger to everyone else trying to pass you
South Florida is even worse down there people do 85-90 on the highways and that’s the norm... well when it’s not gridlocked

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 AM
Hotrodder

Guys in west TX will like it, but the speedo still stops at 120... lol

Iím interested to see what other projects are in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
The pilots easy to take care of. Contour your cutoff table instead of a flat rpm cutoff. I cut pilot at 2300 in the upper fueling because I've found the turbo lights quicker without it, but in the cruise fuel areas I keep it till 2800 because sometimes pilot would kick out under half throttleor so, and I just didn't like the noise. Took a little time, but you never notice my pilot going out. And since you now have an lly, you can stagger when pilot goes out to furthur refine it.

As to a 6 speed swap, it would be nice, but I don't drive enough hwy to justify it anymore with my failing health. When I did my swap, the conversion's were still very new, since I was regearing anyways, I just opted for 3.42 gears. It gives me the same final drive on 5th as 6th does with 3,73's. And it helps me to drive the limit because at 70 I have zero drone, on stock injectors I was good till 75, but the 45 sacs start to drone at exactly 70.5, so I know when I'm doing 70 dead on now.
yeah steve has gone over it with me. i may dick with it when i do the swap. all this truck sees is highway and mainly loaded. im also going to start looking into doing a full exhaust now. current exhaust dumps under the back of the cab and i want to take the drone out from there. Granted there isnt much with the second turbo and a muffler but after being in my dads 15.5 lml, i was spoiled....
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Guys in west TX will like it, but the speedo still stops at 120... lol

Iím interested to see what other projects are in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be happy if I could get consistent lockup at wot again. My swap will not shift right exvept with the infamous 01 TCM OS, and that's the ONLY OS that doesn't have the lockup table in it. I had it locking up good with stock injectors, but the 45 over sacs changed things a bit. Now it's a roll of the dice, like dealing with my wife.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 AM
The Still Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I know all about it but can't talk about it yet. The young genius that did this is a friend. Some of the stuff he does is amazing.
So Pink Slippers is just reselling Josh's idea/product, but taking credit for it ??

2007 GMC "Classic", LBZ, SLE1 ,RC/LB, 4x4
~Powered By "MOONSHINE"

12.525 at 107.07

2002-GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE/CC/SB/4X4~Powered By "MOONSHINE"
12.65 fuel only, 12.00 on some N20
Retired 04/18/2009...................SOLD 01/2014

Old 12-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Gearhead

Pic of VB is from LML or later, TCM regular old 5 speed. Interesting. Hi Mike in KY
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax View Post
Pic of VB is from LML or later, TCM regular old 5 speed. Interesting. Hi Mike in KY
What are you doing in KY George? I liked the Christmas card you sent me.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:25 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC_2002_Dmax View Post
So Pink Slippers is just reselling Josh's idea/product, but taking credit for it ??

Interested in this as well from what I heard through the grapevine...
Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Standing Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC_2002_Dmax View Post

Close, but not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
I'd be happy if I could get consistent lockup at wot again. My swap will not shift right exvept with the infamous 01 TCM OS, and that's the ONLY OS that doesn't have the lockup table in it. I had it locking up good with stock injectors, but the 45 over sacs changed things a bit. Now it's a roll of the dice, like dealing with my wife.
Still tinkering with a fix for the 01. Though with all the testing I've done, the logic in the newer OS's is so much better as far as learning and achieving a good shift quality.

Also to mention, this is the only 6spd kit that works properly with the EDGE CTS/2 monitors or any PID displays. For those that have it, know that annoyance when you put it in drive and it shows park on the display and you get no gear or lockup display

There will also be a proper Tap-Shift to go with this that will be ready soon.

'04 GMC LLY

*Build Back In Progress*
505K Miles

'05 GMC LLY
LML Hybrid, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
Fuel Coming soon.
300K Miles

Big thanks to Mike L., Ira, James, Nate, Jon, Steve, Nick.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Hotrodder

In for updates

4' MBRP SS