Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseRob View Post
This past Friday we were driving on the interstate with the cruise set at 70mph towing our TT when I heard a muffled "pop" and the check engine light came on. Engine wouldn't go above 2000 rpm. Got to our campspot and went into town and the local NAPA pulled a P0087 code. Stock LBZ running an IdahoRob tow tune.
Air temp was 106 degrees. My friends 6.0 Ford engine light came on 15 minutes before mine. We did not fuel up at the same station but we did leave our trucks idling for 20+ minutes while we shopped for groceries (wives & dogs in the trucks).
This was the first time the P0087 code has happened. Truck is a 2007 LT1 Classic with 72k miles and has run the same IdahoRob tune since it was 6 months old in April of 2007.

Does high ambient air temp have an affect on the fuel or fprv valve?
Probably high fuel temps set it off...
2015 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 20's/35's Deleted Airdog ETC. Sold...
2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's >I officially need help.
2010 1500 RCSB Denali clone <Lifted 22's/33's, 5.3, 6L80, TVS1900, etc ...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseRob View Post
This past Friday we were driving on the interstate with the cruise set at 70mph towing our TT when I heard a muffled "pop" and the check engine light came on. Engine wouldn't go above 2000 rpm. Got to our campspot and went into town and the local NAPA pulled a P0087 code. Stock LBZ running an IdahoRob tow tune.
Air temp was 106 degrees. My friends 6.0 Ford engine light came on 15 minutes before mine. We did not fuel up at the same station but we did leave our trucks idling for 20+ minutes while we shopped for groceries (wives & dogs in the trucks).
This was the first time the P0087 code has happened. Truck is a 2007 LT1 Classic with 72k miles and has run the same IdahoRob tune since it was 6 months old in April of 2007.

Does high ambient air temp have an affect on the fuel or fprv valve?

Could also be a collapsed fuel line.

I don't think you can hear the frpv pop open.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 AM
I like turtles

P0087 is the toughest code to diagnose in my opinion. Could be a supply issue, Injectors, cp3, or fprv.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
put on da damn helmet day

I was running through this a couple weeks ago. Towed the camper to Oregon and back from Vegas. Had the truck the 0087 on 8 different occasions between here and Reno. Ambient temps ranged from 100-118*. I watched fuel temps climb to 230+ on a couple different occasions. Stayed in Reno for the night and went the rest of the way in the morning.....didn't get the code at all after that. Fuel temps never broke 175 and ambient temps were under a 100*

Coming home was the same story. Less than a 100* of ambient temp through Oregon and Cali and no issues......south of Reno and temps get up to 110+ and fuel temp starts climbing again. Got the 0087 3 times on the way back, every single time was under a good load, ie passing semis or climbing grades. Didn't log it, but was watching the commanded vs actual rail and they were pretty much on par with each other.

Issue seems to happen when fuel temps climb but I'm not sure if that the reason or if something else is going on.

Btw, truck never got under tank....tried to keep it as full as I could so it would maybe help keep those temps in check.

Last edited by whitetrash21; 07-17-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
I like turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash21 View Post
I was running through this a couple weeks ago. Towed the camper to Oregon and back from Vegas. Had the truck the 0087 on 8 different occasions between here and Reno. Ambient temps ranged from 100-118*. I watched fuel temps climb to 230+ on a couple different occasions. Stayed in Reno for the night and went the rest of the way in the morning.....didn't get the code at all after that. Fuel temps never broke 175 and ambient temps were under a 100*

Coming home was the same story. Less than a 100* of ambient temp through Oregon and Cali and no issues......south of Reno and temps get up to 110+ and fuel temp starts climbing again. Got the 0087 3 times on the way back, every single time was under a good load, ie passing semis or climbing grades. Didn't log it, but was watching the commanded vs actual rail and they were pretty much on par with each other.

Issue seems to happen when fuel temps climb but I'm not sure if that the reason or if something else is going on.

Btw, truck never got under tank....tried to keep it as full as I could so it would maybe help keep those temps in check.
I would test return rates. Hotter the fuel the thinner it gets.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:

Sounds like what happened to me. Drove home without issue but it was under 90 degrees.Truck was 3/4+ full when it limped.
Made an appointment with ATP to install the shim kit next week...
Old 07-18-2017, 07:32 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:

high fuel temps are nothing new in them temps buddy. you should see what they look like with dual fuelers and high rail pressure in those temps

so when the code was popping up, was actual rail dropping well below desired or was it still running with commanded?

i run a B&M stacked plate cooler and a cheapo jegs 1000cfm fan for a return fuel cooler (ditched the crappy stock one). ALL my return fuel runs through it including the air dog. it makes a significant difference in fuel temps and mpg. under the same temps as you pulling grades with a full tank, i could see 230-240* temps. with the cooler, i hover around 200*. yours ought to see even more of a drop since you dont have as much crap as me heating up the fuel.

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 07-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Desired might match actual pressure, but it's probably still dropping desired with those temps unless Rob maxed out the temp limiter table. Do you remember what the desired pressure was?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
Desired might match actual pressure, but it's probably still dropping desired with those temps unless Rob maxed out the temp limiter table. Do you remember what the desired pressure was?
IIRC, the only reason the P0087 sets is due to differential pressure between actual and desired rail pressure. not if the tune is pulling back rail pressure as actual should still match commanded.

id be more inclined to say the FPRV is popping

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

He just made it sound like it was low on power, not in limp mode or anything.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

What are you new around here? Lol. Put in a tune, install shim, egr block, pcv reroute. Standard procedure bud lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 PM
put on da damn helmet day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
high fuel temps are nothing new in them temps buddy. you should see what they look like with dual fuelers and high rail pressure in those temps

so when the code was popping up, was actual rail dropping well below desired or was it still running with commanded?

i run a B&M stacked plate cooler and a cheapo jegs 1000cfm fan for a return fuel cooler (ditched the crappy stock one). ALL my return fuel runs through it including the air dog. it makes a significant difference in fuel temps and mpg. under the same temps as you pulling grades with a full tank, i could see 230-240* temps. with the cooler, i hover around 200*. yours ought to see even more of a drop since you dont have as much crap as me heating up the fuel.
Plugs gonna be next. I need to bottle test it first but I'm leaning towards that ..... Got a part but.ber for the cooler you're running??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
What are you new around here? Lol. Put in a tune, install shim, egr block, pcv reroute. Standard procedure bud lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Lol. All that is done already except shim/plug. That's next ...... Now where I'm gonna dig up time to do that I don't know....but it's next
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Hotrodder

So what is the trick to installing? I just unscrewed the old and screwed in the new one. Seemed simple enough.

New build is 73K Motor, Full EGR Delete, Profab Y Bridge, ARP Studs, 12x12x2 Oil cooler, BAT Sandwich adapter, 12x12x2 trans cooler, Oil Pressure/Temp Gauges, Belly mount Onan 5500w Generator. LDS 30% Overs.

28FT Intech Car trailer

@stibuider
Old 07-18-2017, 01:09 PM

fan:
JEGS Performance Products 52130

Cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...780_em_1p_0_ti

think amazon had the best price at the time. that or i needed it quickly and they could get it the fastest.

you will need 2, 1/2" NPT to 3/8" NPT reducers for the cooler. then you can unscrew the threaded adapters from the stock cooler and put them in the new cooler. then they all still quick connect in.

here is a link to how i have it set up.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...&postcount=162

Tailgate Crew Member #4