Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Default HSP Up-pipe question

Will the HSP up-pipes work with the MBRP downpipe without having to crush/flatten? I have a full MBRP cool dual exhaust with an MBRP downpipe and my up-pipe bellows just blew. Looking to go aftermarket, but also looking for something that will work with my current setup.
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L converter, cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 496, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org
Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Just Learning

Call them and ask.

"Vern" 2002 Reg can (with a cap) 300,000 original miles. Lowered, tuned, sold to some jackass who blew it up instantly.

"Vendetta" Nobody knows but she gonna eat

You cant put a price on fun
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 AM
Needs Bigger Tires!

I work nights and am usually sleeping when they are open (hence my post at 2:30AM). I posted hoping somebody may have already done this and know the answer. If I don't get an answer here I will wake up early and call one day next week (was hoping to avoid that though as sleep seems to be at a premium these days).
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L converter, cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 496, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Give it a bit, Joe or Dave will see this and reply.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM
In way over my head

Email Joe@hspdiesel.com
Old 03-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Hotrodder

From the feedback we've received there have not been any issues. We keep them very tight to the back of the head.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
From the feedback we've received there have not been any issues. We keep them very tight to the back of the head.

Thank you!

www.matpa.org
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 PM
WAY2EVL

Your coolant line from you oil cooler, to heater core may not fit. It didn't on my LMM and heard the problem was common with them but don't remember hearing anything about the LBZ's. HSP sent me the profab fitting to reroute it.
Exergy 45's
PPE dual fueler
AirDog 150
SSDP Trans, SC1058 converter
HSP Diesel manifolds/up pipes
HSP Diesel intercooler tubes/bridge
Mishimoto intercooler
Kryptonite/Rare parts front end
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKMAX1 View Post
Your coolant line from you oil cooler, to heater core may not fit. It didn't on my LMM and heard the problem was common with them but don't remember hearing anything about the LBZ's. HSP sent me the profab fitting to reroute it.
For just the factory replacement up-pipes he should be good. Only with the manifolds does the fitting become necessary.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 PM
WAY2EVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@HSPDIESEL View Post
For just the factory replacement up-pipes he should be good. Only with the manifolds does the fitting become necessary.
Ohh, I gotcha.
Exergy 45's
PPE dual fueler
AirDog 150
SSDP Trans, SC1058 converter
HSP Diesel manifolds/up pipes
HSP Diesel intercooler tubes/bridge
Mishimoto intercooler
Kryptonite/Rare parts front end
Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

I finally am getting around to installing the HSP up-pipes and found they do interfere with the MBRP downpipe. The downpipe and the up-pipe hit not allowing the downpipe to fully seat in the turbo (cannot get the clamp on), and the tab on the down pipe is a good inch away from where it needs to be to line up with the bracket.

I could dent the downpipe, but not too keen on that. Probably will sell the MBRP downpipe (used but good with heat wrapped if anyone is looking for one mine is for sale), and buy and HSP downpipe.

www.matpa.org
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Wound for sound

Two years, I thought I was a slacker when I came to my truck lol.
Is the hsp pipe longer coming out of the turbo? My diamond eye is pretty snug against my stock LMM up pipe.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE/Waiting on a new motor

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

I had a leak in my passenger's side up-pipe years ago which is why I originally bought the up-pipes (figured if I was going to pull one off, I would replace both with "better" ones). While waiting for shipping (and needing the truck), I had a buddy weld the up-pipe (which is still holding to this day). I never really had the chance to work on it until now (mouse ate part of my engine harness....) as the truck was down.

I thought I had done my homework by checking years ago when I bought them, but I guess not. My new HSP downpipe should be here in a few days and I'll see if I can get a side by side comparison.....

The MBRP pipe is nice and there is plenty of clearance with it, so I'm Assuming the HSP is similar but stays a little closer to the firewall to give added clearance around the up-pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
Two years, I thought I was a slacker when I came to my truck lol.
Is the hsp pipe longer coming out of the turbo? My diamond eye is pretty snug against my stock LMM up pipe.

www.matpa.org
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Here's the HSP and the MBRP side by side. They look pretty darn close. The biggest difference is there is no tab on the HSP downpipe and the flange that mates to the exhaust LOOKS like it might be at a slightly different angle (could just be eyes playing tricks). I probably could have cut the tab off my MBRP downpipe and made it work, but too late now.

If anyone wants to make me an offer for it, it's for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downpipe optimized.jpg (16.6 KB, 44 views)

www.matpa.org
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Wound for sound

Does look angled differently.

My tab broke off years ago on my LLY, has a real nice bubble gum weld packing it off, lol.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE/Waiting on a new motor

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.