Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Gearhead

If you haven't take your inner fenders out, makes it easier to get at the rear.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
If you haven't take your inner fenders out, makes it easier to get at the rear.
Yeah noticed that towards the middle of the job. Pulled both of them out to get some better access.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Gearhead

The ultrasonic cleaner I ordered arrived. I figured I would toss in some fuel lines and see what happens. This thing is cool immediately things started to fizz out the dirt:

Its much cleaner (this about 12 mins of cleaning, LEFT= Cleaned)

I will probably give them a CLR bath anyways it didnt take off everything but it got most of it off.

Last edited by chowpay; 03-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Hotrodder

Put the clr in the ultra sonic cleaner lol. I run simple green in mine. It does do wonders.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Hotrodder

Two of us asked if you found the coolant leak for sure ? I couldnt find anything except where you thought it may be the water pump , was that it ? Good luck !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHD View Post
Were both of those ran through the cleaner or just the one on the left?
Sorry should have clarified, the one on the left is cleaned the one on the right is not.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Two of us asked if you found the coolant leak for sure ? I couldnt find anything except where you thought it may be the water pump , was that it ? Good luck !
I did not find any coolant leak anywhere else when I pulled the covers off.. Nor did I see drippings around the head gasket. Is there anywhere I should focus on looking besides those places?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax on fire View Post
Put the clr in the ultra sonic cleaner lol. I run simple green in mine. It does do wonders.
Thats the plan! Didnt have any last night will pick some up today and give it another go. Theres some calcium buildup that the sonic didn't remove.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Hotrodder

There is an eng coolant cover plate above the starter that is known to leak enough that a few shops on this site make o ringed cover plates for them and I am not saying you cant just put on a new gasket ! But I chose to put the plate on for no good reason , its the nicest looking thing on my eng and you cant even see it . LOL !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
There is an eng coolant cover plate above the starter that is known to leak enough that a few shops on this site make o ringed cover plates for them and I am not saying you cant just put on a new gasket ! But I chose to put the plate on for no good reason , its the nicest looking thing on my eng and you cant even see it . LOL !
Can you link me to this item. I may as well change it while im down here. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax on fire View Post
DO NOT put clr in the ultra sonic . Not sure what happens but all the coating gets eaten away. The moment you remove it from the water it has flash-rust .

***edit*** don't put too much. Which it sounds like I did. its suggested later on to do a capful.

I ended up ordering another set of injectors lines rather than risking it with these. I only clr'd 1/2 of the lines so im guessing the other half is fine, but ordered a whole new set anyways.

Last edited by chowpay; 03-27-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Heavy & Slow

Wow! Wouldn't have expected that.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:27 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Can you provide any more info on that ultrasonic cleaner?
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
Old 03-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowpay View Post
DO NOT put clr in the ultra sonic . Not sure what happens but all the coating gets eaten away. The moment you remove it from the water it has flash-rust .

I ended up ordering another set of injectors lines rather than risking it with these. I only clr'd 1/2 of the lines so im guessing the other half is fine, but ordered a whole new set anyways..

How much did you use? You only need like a cap full of CLR or lime away in an ultrasonic cleaner to be effective

When I cleaned mine i pulled them out of the cleaner and directly into a sink of clean rinsing water. Then I had the oven preheating to about 250* or so and put them in. Zero rust.

When I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner at a previous job I did find if the concentration was too strong then the parts would develop small or micro pits that would quickly rust. For parts that where already pitted I would have to go directly to the rinse water with zero delay.

I had a particularly difficult time with a cast iron pump housing. I had to have a running garden hose running water over it while I pulled it out otherwise it rusted again. Had to do it several times to get it right. Then quickly painted
Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowpay View Post
Can you link me to this item. I may as well change it while im down here. Thanks!
All season diesel , otherwise known as dhd , vendors on here !