Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Gearhead

Great, I'll take a look at the valves while things are out too.

While I was under the truck I saw the ever so slight weeping of coolant. Doesnt look like a head gasket . I'm thinking its the water pump. I havent had time to pull everything apart just glad I passed smog (Yesss.. it was a windy day and I got so lucky you would not believe)

I don't think this is injector related so im hoping I can work on them separately but during the injector install would it help me at all to do the water pump then or does it not matter since im not removing any parts that would help me get to the pump.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 11:37 AM
<thatís not me...

Do it at the same time. No point in taking it apart twice

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. And itís currently broke
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
While you are in there with the valve covers off, adjust all of the valves. It can make the engine run smoother and quieter
This is great advice. I would also know why it is leaking coolant before I done injectors. You said you don't think it's a HG but I would make damn sure before I torn into it twice. I also recommend LDS.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Part-Timer

Brent @ LDS all the way. Hooked me up with a Garrett STG 2 turbo. Good guy to deal with.
EFI Live Tuning(Moonshine) via Tony@RidgeRunner, 4094 STG2 Garrett Turbo, 4" Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Magnaflow Downpipe, AirDog II 165 4G, Edge CTS Insight, S&B CAI, Transgo Jr, PPE trans pan , PPE ported fuel rail fittings, DMAX store ultimate front end stage 3, DMAX store stage 3 leveling kit and ALWAYS running with AMSOIL👍
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Aircraft Mechanic's Hero

Brent @ LDS will hook you up right. I did the 45 over SAC injectors with their compressor/cover kit and am more than satisfied. I towed around 9k through the black hills on my 200+ DD tune and was only seeing 1200 max as long as I kept RPMs above 1800. Set the cruise and just felt the truck work.

Like it was stated adjust the lash and it will be quieter, smoother engine. Also if you go with bigger injectors you'll gain a little because with a good tune you'll have less negative torque but to get the most out of them you'll need a bigger turbo. I've also heard that if you port and polish the turbo housing and cover, the stock wheel can really come alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2004 LB7 2500HD 4X4 CCSB
Mods: LDS 63.5mm turbo, 45% SAC injectors, Built Allison, Mishimoto IC piping, EFI Live, Modded stock intake, Modded intake horn, Intake heater Deleted, Water separator/10 micron/Lift Pump, CAT Filter, 3" down pipe, MBRP 4", Incognito tie rods, High Idle, MA pump rub kit

Tunes by Idaho Rob
Trans Kit from Evan @ Limitless Diesel
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Hotrodder

Make sure of where the water leak is from first!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Gearhead

Hi Guys,

LOOONG time. Finally sac'd up and ordered the injectors, water pump and the CAT filter from LDS (Who were awesome to work with). Just so happens they had a deal on some SAC45s at the time of my order.

Since I don't actually need to drive this truck at the moment I'm just going to work on it little by little till it gets done.

I left off last night with this:

When going through all the guides none of them show this long tube part , note that i'm not pointing at the pipe but the whole thing its attached to. Does this have to be removed to access the top of the injector lines? If so how best?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Gearhead

Zach pointed out to me that this is some kinda ERG because I live in stupid cali. Googl'd around specifically this is an ERG Cooler. I have these smoggy things bolted on to my engine

anyone get away with still getting to the top fuel lines with this crap on it. ?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowpay View Post
When going through all the guides none of them show this long tube part , note that i'm not pointing at the pipe but the whole thing its attached to. Does this have to be removed to access the top of the injector lines? If so how best?
That's the EGR cooler, and I don't recall having to take it off to do injectors. I think you can work around it.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
That's the EGR cooler, and I don't recall having to take it off to do injectors. I think you can work around it.
ok thanks, will continue hacking at it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Hotrodder

I had to remove mine to get the covers off. Was a pain the first time. The nuts and bolts on the back side by the firewall is a b!tch. smothered all of them with never-seize before putting it back together. Didn't have any issues the second time around.

12mm if I remember correctly and 14mm for the front ones
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 AM
~

Yeah, I had to do injectors on my 03. I wouldn't say the process was hard for me but it was time consuming since I was only working on it a couple hours a day. I will say, I am glad I didn't cheap out on injectors. I don't think I would have been too happy about doing the work over again. I also put in a lift pump at the same time. With the lift pump I put in a CAT fuel filter/aftermarket fuel filter head. Man I did love my LB7 though.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Gearhead

Thats exactly what Im doing. I have the car setup on the side of the house and just working an hour or two every night after work till it gets sorted. The "problem" now is everything I'm tearing out I think i want to replace with a new piece. Hoses , themostat, water pump, plenty of nuts an bolts. I havent tackled the cooler yet but put a bunch of PBlaster on the bolts incase I can't get around it to pull the injector lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan. View Post
Yeah, I had to do injectors on my 03. I wouldn't say the process was hard for me but it was time consuming since I was only working on it a couple hours a day. I will say, I am glad I didn't cheap out on injectors. I don't think I would have been too happy about doing the work over again. I also put in a lift pump at the same time. With the lift pump I put in a CAT fuel filter/aftermarket fuel filter head. Man I did love my LB7 though.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:57 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowpay View Post
Thats exactly what Im doing. I have the car setup on the side of the house and just working an hour or two every night after work till it gets sorted. The "problem" now is everything I'm tearing out I think i want to replace with a new piece. Hoses , themostat, water pump, plenty of nuts an bolts. I havent tackled the cooler yet but put a bunch of PBlaster on the bolts incase I can't get around it to pull the injector lines.
Replacing everything that is worn and hard to get to isn't a bad idea!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Gearhead

Made some progress and found a huge step back. Erg cooler came out thanks to these through wrenches. Made it possible to get leverage on those messed up bolts.

Gross how dirty these things are : (is it normal to be THIS dirty?)

Also BENT a injector removal tool trying to pull one last injector towards the passenger side firewall. Found this cool youtube trick that works great. Pretty much use an air hammer's various attachment as that is the same size as the hole in the injector hold down tool. Stick in in there and wack it lightly with a hammer and boom came right out.

Worse thing that happened is one of the rear driverside valve cover bolts are frozen. Now it is stripped. last ditch effort to grind off the head so i can pull the top valve cover off as thats the last bolt holding it in .

in your opinions.. so far none of the cups came out . Should I manually remove it (already building a tool to do this)? Or do you guys just leave them in?