Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM
KyleC4's Avatar
KyleC4 KyleC4 is offline
Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 115
Default 2017 Camaro ZL1 Drive

Got our first 10 speed auto ZL1 Camaro in today. Took out for small test drive and I'm pleased to say that this trans is a huge improvement over the 8L90. And for those that know the 8L90 is only enjoyable when you're in the throttle or using the paddles.

And since the new Camaro's sit on the Cadillac ATS chassis, perhaps Cadillac will get a little crazy and put that LT4 between the fenders in place of that twin turbo V6. But, maybe they don't want the competition between the two models or even affect their ATS-V R. that's in the Pirelli world challenge racing series. Who knows......

Anyone know though if Ford has been having any troubles with the 10 speed yet? I know they're already using it for a while now
__________________
TEAM Chevrolet Cadillac
Mike L and Inglewood transmission
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Mike L.'s Avatar
Mike L. Mike L. is offline
Got Sheep?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 14,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC4 View Post
Got our first 10 speed auto ZL1 Camaro in today. Took out for small test drive and I'm pleased to say that this trans is a huge improvement over the 8L90. And for those that know the 8L90 is only enjoyable when you're in the throttle or using the paddles.

And since the new Camaro's sit on the Cadillac ATS chassis, perhaps Cadillac will get a little crazy and put that LT4 between the fenders in place of that twin turbo V6. But, maybe they don't want the competition between the two models or even affect their ATS-V R. that's in the Pirelli world challenge racing series. Who knows......

Anyone know though if Ford has been having any troubles with the 10 speed yet? I know they're already using it for a while now
According to my Allison source the 10 speed was Fords baby. My source says he was involved for consulting. He says no problems and is very proud of all the guys that were involved with the 10 speed.
Now I am looking for a deal on one of these with the 10 speed. Can't wait to get it.
__________________
Shop 714 870 7300
Cell 310 918 9678

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Mike L.'s Avatar
Mike L. Mike L. is offline
Got Sheep?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 14,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
According to my Allison source the 10 speed was Fords baby. My source says he was involved for consulting. He says no problems and is very proud of all the guys that were involved with the 10 speed.
Now I am looking for a deal on one of these with the 10 speed. Can't wait to get it.
I changed my mind and bought a Hell Cat with the 8 speed auto.
__________________
Shop 714 870 7300
Cell 310 918 9678

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Dozerboy's Avatar
Dozerboy Dozerboy is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX of course
Posts: 3,125

Default

How do you look your sheep in the eye after driving a Fiat?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4





These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Burn Down's Avatar
Burn Down Burn Down is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,961

Default

Cool let's see this beast Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:38 PM
TheBac's Avatar
TheBac TheBac is offline
Why do I keep doing this?


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 10,780

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I changed my mind and bought a Hell Cat with the 8 speed auto.
What?!?!?!? Bad ass cars.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4
12.14@111.15

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Evan@LimitlessDiesel's Avatar
Evan@LimitlessDiesel Evan@LimitlessDiesel is offline
yerp
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 2,843

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I changed my mind and bought a Hell Cat with the 8 speed auto.
Great idea to
__________________
Limitless Diesel Performance
413-770-3585
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2017, 04:21 PM
JoshH's Avatar
JoshH JoshH is offline
Daggum farm truck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas!!!
Posts: 12,438

Default

I ran upon a Hellcat yesterday. He was fast but not fast enough!
__________________
06 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM
jpowel29's Avatar
jpowel29 jpowel29 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Posts: 652
Default

Been going back and forth between the ZL1, Hellcat, and Corvette. So many great choices out right now.
__________________
Trying some new things...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Hambone's Avatar
Hambone Hambone is online now
Always learning
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I changed my mind and bought a Hell Cat with the 8 speed auto.
The Figured you would of went with the SRT Demon!
https://www.dodge.com/demon.html
__________________
2017 2500 CC/LB "L5P" WT

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Mike L.'s Avatar
Mike L. Mike L. is offline
Got Sheep?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 14,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
The Figured you would of went with the SRT Demon!
https://www.dodge.com/demon.html
I just wanted a mild street car for the weekends.
__________________
Shop 714 870 7300
Cell 310 918 9678

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM
OregonDMAX's Avatar
OregonDMAX OregonDMAX is offline
NOT IN OREGON
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,354

Default

More like hell FAT, those things are heavy as shit

The zl1 Camaro with a manual is still way more fun than any auto, and that's coming from a guy that hates manuals.
__________________
Sean
02 CCSB
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Port/polished/wetzel turbo by Yellowchevy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Mike L.'s Avatar
Mike L. Mike L. is offline
Got Sheep?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 14,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
More like hell FAT, those things are heavy as shit

The zl1 Camaro with a manual is still way more fun than any auto, and that's coming from a guy that hates manuals.
I totaly disagree. I would never own another stick again and believe me, I can handle a stick with the best of them.
__________________
Shop 714 870 7300
Cell 310 918 9678

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM
OregonDMAX's Avatar
OregonDMAX OregonDMAX is offline
NOT IN OREGON
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,354

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I totaly disagree. I would never own another stick again and believe me, I can handle a stick with the best of them.
Oh don't get me wrong I'd never own one, it's just the best one I've driven as far as manuals go. I got to PDI serial #1 when they first came out, But that was before the 10 speed was out
__________________
Sean
02 CCSB
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Port/polished/wetzel turbo by Yellowchevy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Mike L.'s Avatar
Mike L. Mike L. is offline
Got Sheep?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 14,258
Default

My ZF 8 speed will rival the GM 10 speed in my Cat. It is always in the right gear at the right time. With the paddles it handles the twisties very well. It won't stay with the Camaro as far as handling, and I don't care. On the straights, it's a different story.
__________________
Shop 714 870 7300
Cell 310 918 9678

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors