Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Yes, its really me

Ben, have you had your morning coffee yet? I'm usually cranky until I have my morning cup of coffee to. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 AM
WTF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
The only way the aftermarket is going to be able to get modified tunes into an L5P is if someone on the inside at GM Powertrain has sticky fingers and wants to make a fast couple of bucks.

Its not about being a smart talented "hacker" anymore. Its not about truly reverse engineering stuff the hard way. This shit is so complex today and the ECM's are so smart that it would take probably 100+ years to actually brute-force the algorithm.

Nowadays its purely just who has a big enough checkbook, and who is lucky/clever enough find connections at GM.

So if/when someone does publicly release L5P tuning, dont congratulate them, dont hail them as some hacker genius sent from tuning god heaven, and dont think for a second they did it "the hard way/from scratch". But do be sure to thank them for dropping the initial cash investment on stolen information!!
This hasn't always been the case has it? were earlier simpler ECM's reverse engineered? What was the process for previous years that made them so different? is the L5P ECM a completely different animal? Im ok with a simple answer lol...

how about i ask a million questions

2017 Chevy "Sport" 2500hd CCSB ltz stocker

2006 Chevy LBZ - Deleted, 5" Magnaflow, Airdog II 165 4g.

2006 Chevy lbz LT ccsb 360,000 and counting..
5" exhaust, CAI...custom hail damage, peeling paint, etc...

2016 GMC 1500 slt 6.2ltr -wife's ride-

Sold
2016 Denali HD~tuned deleted
05 LLY CCSB~EPR compounds, cognito stuff, DDD Tuning, etc..

Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
Ben, have you had your morning coffee yet? I'm usually cranky until I have my morning cup of coffee to. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Either he's had none or too much and is on an early morning coffee induced rant.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R 15k miles, garage ornament

Rig ride/patience tester-02' Black Eddie Bauer exploder 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans (for now)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Hotrodder

Lol nice Ben.
Built front end
All the bolt ons
33x11.5 on 17x9 -12
HB/brake upgrades
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Hotrodder

I can see it now, L5P FS 10,000mi. With Smarty stacked with Banks stacked with Superchips. Will trade for LB7 or 12 Valve plus cash on your end.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Dmax Nut

Haha! Wow Ben, you answered almost all my questions tuning related to the L5P Even some I didn't think to ask.

I couldn't believe it when I saw a deleted 2017 Power Stroke. Thought it was odd that when he snapped the throttle there was no smoke. He said it was tuned. I guess it was only deleted. Honestly, I'd even take that for a start when the time comes for a new L5P.

2001 Chevy 3500 Dually Reg. Cab Duramax/Allson...Stock other than a Juice Box

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC/SB with some more info to follow...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
Back to the days of water/Method, crack pipes and stacking foolers I guess for the L5P.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Nowadays, the ECM's are smart enough to detect if the engine is actually making more torque than it should.....and it will go into limp mode.

So harness boxes and other power adders are out too.

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Kory-PPEI.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Wound for sound

So I guess no 17' for anyone wanting to tear the shit out of it.

100k miles-FOR SALE

Rig ride/patience tester-02' Black Eddie Bauer exploder 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans (for now)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM
<--- slippery roads

Not sure why everyones immediate knee-jerk reaction is MUST DELETE DELETE!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAHHHHH.

They have a warranty...and the amount of people ive seen complaining about L5P emissions issues is far FAR less than the people complaining about other random glitches like shifting, ghost throttle, etc. Its too early to cry fowl on the L5P emissions system.

Yes, I get it, you haul trailers 24/7/365 across the Pacific ocean and cant afford downtime.....but honestly, I think the emissions system on the L5P has a lot of improvements over the LML system. The only complaints Ive seen are some people report higher DEF usage (you bought a $65k truck, threw $4k worth of american forces on it, and whine about a $15 DEF fill up?)

(and yes, I also know you have 47,268 friends with L5P's and every single one of them had the entire emissions system fail within 6 miles of owning the truck)

And finally, if you look at the Ford websites/forums, the guys running around with the stupid Mexico tune are actually having more problems than the 100% stock guys lol.

2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Kory-PPEI.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
So I guess no 17' for anyone wanting to tear the shit out of it.
Why cant you tear the shit out of a warrantied 2017?

Your crank could break tomorrow you know, deleted or not.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Why cant you tear the shit out of a warrantied 2017?

Your crank could break tomorrow you know, deleted or not.
Oh I'm well aware of my crank breaking, but I also know how gutless feeling this truck was in stock form. You know nothing is as fun when it's stock Ben.

100k miles-FOR SALE

Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Wound for sound

Plus now that I have a company truck I was hoping to buy a new truck and mod it from the start and have a clean, nice new low milage high hp truck.

100k miles-FOR SALE

Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
Oh I'm well aware of my crank breaking, but I also know how gutless feeling this truck was in stock form. You know nothing is as fun when it's stock Ben.
idk, stock L5P's arent slow I dont think.

Im not 18 anymore so I no longer drive like a dickhead and no longer care about 500hp. I think Ive just gotten bored of this whole industry/truck performance. Im tired of breaking crap/wondering whats gonna go wrong next, and driving loud, smelly, unreliable, rattly jalopys.

Ive had my LML for almost 2 years and it is SO feaking nice and refreshing driving a silent, smooth, non-smelly, reliable truck. Yes, I said reliable. It has 125k miles on it and has never given me a single issue. No DEF warnings (other than when I have to fill it), no "continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" messages, no check engine lights.

125k miles on my LLY, I was on my third engine, 2nd set of front wheel bearings and brakes, and had misc drips here and there, etc. (ok yes, sometimes things happen and start leaking when swapping engines, but thats besides the point).

Some day if/when I have money, maybe Ill build a dedicated race/toy truck for grins. But a built/modded daily driver that I take on long trips etc? Screw that.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
idk, stock L5P's arent slow I dont think.

Im not 18 anymore so I no longer drive like a dickhead and no longer care about 500hp. I think Ive just gotten bored of this whole industry/truck performance. Im tired of breaking crap/wondering whats gonna go wrong next, and driving loud, smelly, unreliable, rattly jalopys.

Ive had my LML for almost 2 years and it is SO feaking nice and refreshing driving a silent, smooth, non-smelly, reliable truck. Yes, I said reliable. It has 125k miles on it and has never given me a single issue. No DEF warnings (other than when I have to fill it), no "continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" messages, no check engine lights.

125k miles on my LLY, I was on my third engine, 2nd set of front wheel bearings and brakes, and had misc drips here and there, etc. (ok yes, sometimes things happen and start leaking when swapping engines, but thats besides the point).

Some day if/when I have money, maybe Ill build a dedicated race/toy truck for grins. But a built/modded daily driver that I take on long trips etc? Screw that.
i dont know, i thoroughly enjoy mine

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Wound for sound

I do wish mine was quieter on trips, but aside from a trans from driving like an ass and front end parts from 35's and t bars cranked I've not put a dime in mine, it's at 98k now.

100k miles-FOR SALE