Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Heavy & Slow

I'm not convinced the water in fuel sensor in the factory filter actually works. Never seen one set the message on the dash without shorting the wires to test it. Even filters I've drained water out of.

I just check the drain every few months to see if any water is getting mixed in.

As for replacing the tank, it probably isn't necessary. You can remove the fuel sender and that's a good sized hole to work through, and it is an unbaffleled tank, so easy access to the whole thing. You shouldn't have trouble cleaning it.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

I see no reason to replace the tank either. Shock it with biocide to hreak everything loose, empty the tank, drop it, clean it out with some purple soap, dry it out with some old towels as best as possible, then put it in the sun to dry for a day or 2. The only problem part normally is cleaning out the pickup as that sediment gets in all the nooks and crannies of them. When I worked in a dealer, we would send the tanks over to detail, and let them clean them with the hot steam cleaner they had. They came back squeeky clean.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Gearhead

I have a shock treatment of biocide in it now. Going to hopefully drop the tank weekend after Xmas. The gas station is investigating and may be reimbursing me for any cost to fix the truck. If so it's gonna get a new tank and sender so I don't have to waste a bunch of time cleaning it.

Banks intake, profab horn, banks big head, ATP tunes, DSP 5, 4 exhaust, mbpr downpipe, kennedy single lift pump w/cat filter, Dipper trans. BT diesel works lock up box. all moog front tie rods with sleeves. Moog idler and pitman arm. 285/75/16 tires.

Boost, egt, lift pump pressure, and rail pressure gauges
Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Gearhead

Should be cleaning out the tank this weekend. New tank isn't an option anymore due to being discontinued. Is there any reason I can't use gasoline to clean out the tank so it will dry out fast? Will the residue cause any harm? I'm trying to get it dropped and cleaned in 1 day and it's Gona below freezing all weekend.

Banks intake, profab horn, banks big head, ATP tunes, DSP 5, 4 exhaust, mbpr downpipe, kennedy single lift pump w/cat filter, Dipper trans. BT diesel works lock up box. all moog front tie rods with sleeves. Moog idler and pitman arm. 285/75/16 tires.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Hotrodder

Ya you can use gas. Just make sure you protect yourself rubber gloves and goggles. I know that is silly to some and was to me when I was young, but working in the oil field has changed my tune.

Don't worry about left over gas a small amount won't do anything to a tank of diesel. In the winter we use to mix as much as 40% IIRC gas in with our diesel to keep our tractors running if we ran out of kerosene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:20 PM
<thatís not me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Ya you can use gas. Just make sure you protect yourself rubber gloves and goggles. I know that is silly to some and was to me when I was young, but working in the oil field has changed my tune.

Don't worry about left over gas a small amount won't do anything to a tank of diesel. In the winter we use to mix as much as 40% IIRC gas in with our diesel to keep our tractors running if we ran out of kerosene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Very interesting info there. Iíve never heard that before. Cool

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. And itís currently broke
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 12-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Gearhead

Ok thanks. I hear you on safety. I've been a mechanic for 15 years now always wear gloves around oil and gas. I don't work on diesels much besides my own but know gas in diesels can cause major issues. I figured just residue would be fine but didn't want to assume it and find out later it was a bad idea