Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Hotrodder

I run a sump and have no issues. I can run out almost all if the diesel in the tank. More than I could from a straw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03 GMC 4x4 CC/SB Intake, Dual Exhaust, built motor by Me, Cognito Kryptonite Suspension upgrades, Custom Traction Bars by Me, Suncoast Trans, 1055-1 Convertor, Two AirDog II 200's, Billet Sump, Venom Tuning AKA Me, Custom Fabbed Fuel system, Flexlite Fans, Best Time to date 7.14 at 98.21 mph 1211.8HP 1954.5 FT/Lb torque
2013 LML Daily Driver, 5" FloPro Exhaust, Venom Tuning, Ad 165 4G Lift Pump, Upcoming HSP Billet Bridge And Piping, Upcoming CP3 Conversion
Old 12-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
While that is very impressive and does make me think most would not have an issue. That isn't the real world and doesn't address the soft fuel line hanging below the fuel tank that can be just as bad as a hole in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Soft fuel line... What you talkin' bout... We 3/4 stainless tube, FTW! And I'll never bend stainless tube that big again either... A pita without professional tool!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Hotrodder

Also, being that you're just going to running a 100gph and not looking for performance enhancement. I'll change my recommendation and say the stock pickup will be okay.

Then everyone does make a valid point about a sump low hanging, I can also attest to a 150+gph pump will start cavitating around 3-4 gallons with a sump as Chevy1925 mentioned. There's ways to help that, but the effort required honestly isn't worth it with what you're trying to do.
Same goes for the straw, that's just more work and money that really isn't going to benefit you too much, since you're not after performance - If you're bored and looking for something to do, that's something else entirely.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuns View Post
Soft fuel line... What you talkin' bout... We 3/4 stainless tube, FTW! And I'll never bend stainless tube that big again either... A pita without professional tool!

Oh I missed that it was a hard line. Still not for me. Iím at 650hp with plenty of fuel left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:03 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
While that is very impressive and does make me think most would not have an issue. That isn't the real world and doesn't address the soft fuel line hanging below the fuel tank that can be just as bad as a hole in the tank.

We have several Duramaxes and gasser 6.0 in our Fleet that we use for construction. They do get used by some careless individuals. I have seen several scraches in a tank to the point of it weeping fuel. Ran sticks through 2 differant fuel coolers by different individuals. Tons of crushed skidplates, tcase crossmembers, and rear shock mounts.

If you have to worry about that fuel line then you have to worry about brake lines as well, since they hang lower. I would be pretty impressed to see someone yank that fuel line off a sump without extremely extensive damage to nearly everything else exposed on the bottom of the truck. Even on the internet I've never heard of it happening.

I have nothing against not using a sump, I just think that's a silly argument.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
If you have to worry about that fuel line then you have to worry about brake lines as well, since they hang lower. I would be pretty impressed to see someone yank that fuel line off a sump without extremely extensive damage to nearly everything else exposed on the bottom of the truck. Even on the internet I've never heard of it happening.

I have nothing against not using a sump, I just think that's a silly argument.
Ya like I said I didn't know it was a hard line. Your right though if it's not on the Internet it must not be possible .....:/

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:57 PM
FNG

I have a 70 gallon in bed tank that i just flip a switch and use that one it does not transfer into main tank. Wondering how i could put a lift pump on this type of setup and have it work for both tanks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbNDs6dH...bRnAcYIawGz00/

1990 f150 302 single cab long bed
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

You would have to have two valves one supply and one return so you can draw and return to the same tank depending which one you use. Would be more of a pia than just transferring into the main. I do the same thing cuz it's easier.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
FNG

Ok ill have to check an find the valve they used when they did it all an see what all can be one. Had he tank when i bought the truck just never really looked at it cuz it worked but it doesnt matter where you mount it the pump?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on the pump but normally on a truck no.
If I was to do it I would do it with a 3 way ball valve on the return from the engine, and the same with the suction side to the lift pump. Also if you have a FASS or similar with its own return you will need to put a 3 way valve in it as well to redirect the fuel back to whichever tank you are using.

In short, a lot of plumbing, valving, and way more effort than simply plumbing the slip tank to just fill the main.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 AM
FNG

Gotcha thanks for the all the info gotta start saving now for everything

Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM
NM Duramax

Got my lift pump in this weekend. All went well. Put some miles on and I'm happy with the results. Seems to have quicker throttle response. Thanks for all the advice all.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
Hey all. Did a search, but didn't come up with a straight answer, not that I have a question... I just ordered a Air Dog 100gpf lift pump for my '03 LB7. I'll be doing the installation myself. I was just looking for any pointers on the install...and perhaps priming. It seems pretty straight forward from the videos I've watched, just want to cover all my bases before I tear into it.

Thanks in advance!

JC62
I took my bed off to install mine, made life a little easier.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 AM
NM Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEZELTINE View Post
I took my bed off to install mine, made life a little easier.
My cousin has longer arms than me, after we bent down the shroud, he was able to reach up and over to disconnect and reconnect the fuel line on top of the tank.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
My cousin has longer arms than me, after we bent down the shroud, he was able to reach up and over to disconnect and reconnect the fuel line on top of the tank.
Nice

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk