Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Dragbear

Thanks for all the information. I do realize the stall will need to be changed to be able to launch the truck. I am just not sold on this turbo and I am trying to figure out if I would be a lot happier changing to a smaller turbin before changing the stall. I can unlock the torque manually and see how that works but they build a lot of heat if you run it very long that way.
Thanks, Rick Abare
S&B intake, Fleece 63mm cheetah turbo, Exergy 60% over injectors, Industrial Injection 12mm 85%over CP3, Banks down pipe, Sinister intake tube & egr cooler delete, Diamond turbo down pipe, Cat-DPF delete, Black Cloud stack kit, Grand Rock 6" Aussie stacks, Drop in stack mufflers, Fass titanium 150, Ported fuel rail fitting, Pressure relief block off, EFI Live, Built Trans, Vigilante converter, Trany to transfer case brace, Traction bars, Drive shaft hoops, Eaton front e-locker, Cognito braces, Tie rod sleeves, Edge insight.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbear View Post
Thanks for all the information. I do realize the stall will need to be changed to be able to launch the truck. I am just not sold on this turbo and I am trying to figure out if I would be a lot happier changing to a smaller turbin before changing the stall. I can unlock the torque manually and see how that works but they build a lot of heat if you run it very long that way.
Thanks, Rick Abare
Just keep an eye on transmission temperatures and get a torque converter with a warranty if you do re-stall. I run up hills all the time in 5th unlocked, and it never overheats. When towing, I usually gear down instead of unlocking, but towing with a big single is going to hurt mileage, so I don't stress.

It is a different animal for sure with a large single. In your case, it is probably cheaper to try a new turbine, but even then you'll probably want a torque converter. That's the rub, you have to commit to the big single life or it won't work for you at all.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Dragbear

Thanks
I went through all this for the last 2 years when I changed from the 63mm cheata vnt to the S371. It ran fairly well until I hooked to the sled and couldn't light the turbo for the first 75'.
Got the torque restalled but it was a bit to high. As soon as I took off it would go to 3900rpm until I locked then it would drop to 1900. Way to much!!!
Had it restalled again and it was perfect. 3600rpm down to 3200 locked.
S&B intake, Fleece 63mm cheetah turbo, Exergy 60% over injectors, Industrial Injection 12mm 85%over CP3, Banks down pipe, Sinister intake tube & egr cooler delete, Diamond turbo down pipe, Cat-DPF delete, Black Cloud stack kit, Grand Rock 6" Aussie stacks, Drop in stack mufflers, Fass titanium 150, Ported fuel rail fitting, Pressure relief block off, EFI Live, Built Trans, Vigilante converter, Trany to transfer case brace, Traction bars, Drive shaft hoops, Eaton front e-locker, Cognito braces, Tie rod sleeves, Edge insight.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Oughta Know Better

Rick, you need to verify if that Borg is indeed the 92mm turbine. They are rare and if you wouldn't have said it, I would have bet a 1000 bucks it wouldn't be that turbine wheel. If it is the 92, there is not a converter in the world that will make you satisfied with street driving that charger. The larger turbine, the 96/88, will actually spool & drive more sensible when fitted in a t4 housing. Sounds like the ideal s400 for you would have the 87/80 turbine wheel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Dragbear

The turbo is from Tator and he is putting 91mm turbines in them. I measured it also. It is also in a T4 .90 housing.

It is crazy that it runs so well on my son's Cummins. Normal driving he is pushing 20psi and full out it is over 70.

On mine normal driving is 2psi and maxes out near 40
Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Dragbear

I think he may be putting Garret turbines in the borgwarner turbos. He says they spool faster
Old 03-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Oughta Know Better

Quote:
I think he may be putting Garret turbines in the borgwarner turbos. He says they spool faster
Where did you measure it? The inducer or exducer? There are other shops that have recently been putting Chinese gt50 turbine wheels in s400's too. A 50's turbine is 100x91

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Dragbear

I measured it across the fins with exaust housing off.
I don't know how to post photos on these sights. I can text you some photos if you like.
518 586 4134
Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Oughta Know Better

Did your son run the same exhaust housing

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Dragbear

Yes
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Oughta Know Better

Quote:
Yes
You surely have a drive or boost pressure leak.

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post
You surely have a drive or boost pressure leak.

That being said , Kaleb from Black out told me that almost half of the trucks coming into his shop had intercooler cracks that only show up under pressure checks , you might be onto something Isaac !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
At this point the converter is out of the pitcher because I am on the road over 45mph and the converter is locked. If I can't get it to work work better here there is no reason to go any further.

I had issues with the mass air reading going to 0 a lot so Danville tuned the mass air out of the tuning. It reads 600 all the time now. It has been that way for 2 years and runs great.
I have tuning from Starlight also and he uses the mass air and it runs no better than Danvilles tune.
The mass air goes to 0 above 3000rpm. I have replaced it and it no longer goes to 0.

Still running stock gears with a built Allison Trany. I had to get the torque converter restalled for the S371 and could foot brake it to 2200rpm and 20psi of boost. With this S475 the best I can get is 1800 and 1psi of boost.

I am thinking that I need to get rid of the 91mm turbine and get an 83mm??
Thanks, Rick Abare
If you are going to change turbines/housings you really should run a 87/80 with a .90 or 1.10. I would lean on 1.10 if you want more top end power out of it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post
Where did you measure it? The inducer or exducer? There are other shops that have recently been putting Chinese gt50 turbine wheels in s400's too. A 50's turbine is 100x91

From what I've heard from other turbo builders (not going to throw anyone under the buss but they are reliable and authentic) that is the case. There have been more than a few guys running Taterbuilt chargers that have Chinese components. Friend of mine's S478 from Taterbuilt has a Chinese turbine wheel. We've never measured it but it doesn't look like a standard borg profile.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Oughta Know Better

I'm not really knocking the Chinese part. We've had 4 precision gt50's that have had Chinese tw without a problem. If turbo builders had to buy Garrett wheels, the charger would be unaffordable.
If your looking for a little more than the standard Borg wheels are capable of, it definitely is a better wheel. Not sure about choking it in a tiny housing though. But there's really no way you could drive on road with a standard gt50 exhaust housing. All the ones we had(.96, 1.08, & 1.39) were undivided open volute big suckers.

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Dragbear

Yea the fist thing I did after the install was pressure test the boost side to 20psi.
My S371 only ran 2 or 3 psi on the street along with the factory vnt .
My S371 on a pull at 3600 RPM would run 42 boost and 57 drive.
At 2800 it was 52/52
At 3900 it was 31 boost and 71 drive
I wound this S475 up to 4500 and it did the same thing 30 boost and 70 drive.