Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-21-2015, 07:11 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl62 View Post
My 2012 took a dump on me, going 80 mph down the interstate in Wyoming, with 77,000 miles on it. (H&S Street Tune, FASS lift pump, cold air induction and 4" exhaust) A big shudder, dash flashed "Change Fuel Filter" then "Engine Power Reduced". Coasted to the exit ramp (fortunately it was MY exit!) that's when I realized the truck had completely shut down because I didn't have power steering anymore. Threw 7 codes, the first of which was Low fuel rail pressure. Most of the rest had to do with the truck having shut down and still moving faster than the CPU thought it should be moving. FASS filters had metal shavings in them. Factory filter had metal shavings in it. Still wouldn't start. Put it on a hook and took it to a diesel shop. Bottom line - they told me there is a service bulletin from GM on it. And the whole fuel system has to be replaced. (I have a copy of part of the bulletin where it mentions having to replace the whole fuel system if metal shavings are found.) So I'll have new everything, rails, injectors, pump, fuel lines, high pressure lines, etc. I asked the mechanic specifically and he said I have a CP3, not a CP4. That was a bit confusing because I'd been told by others that the 2012's all have CP4s. It's gonna cost me plenty to have it fixed. I didn't find out about the service bulletin until it was well into the tear-it-apart stages trying to find what all was damaged when the pump went out so don't know if I'll have a chance at getting anything back from GM for the repairs. Up until this happened, the truck was running like a champ. No rough running, missing, sluggishness or anything. Just WHAM and done! Can't wait to get it back. Should be done Thursday!
Was it covered under warranty?

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Kory-PPEI.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac32 View Post
I replaced a friend of mines entire fuel system because of the cp4. It had a little over 100k on it and out of warranty. I tore the pump apart and saw the bores were all scarred up and one plunger wouldn't even move. The rollers on the bottom of t!he plungers had complete flat spots in them to where they wouldn't even ride on the cp4 cam right. Junk Pumps period!
How many miles out of warranty was it?

Does the cab have to come off to replace it?

2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Kory-PPEI.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
How many miles out of warranty was it?

Does the cab have to come off to replace it?
don't need to lift cab. we do conversions weekly here in just 3-5 hours (on Already EGR deleted trucks) with EGR your talking closer to 10-12 hrs
all failures we've seen have been related to poor fuel quality/contamination. once they fail is what really gets expensive. 9 times of out 10 requires all new injectors, rail sensor, DRV Valve, Return line assembly with check valve, drop tank to clean, and clean all other fuel lines.
'02 Chevy CCSB- The Original Shop Truck! Dana 60 SAS, Triple CP3's Currently S476/118mm Compound Set. Puller/Street Machine! Built By Wehrli Custom Fab
'76 GMC Puller with WCFab Dmax conversion
'87 GMC K2500- all original Classic!
'87 Chevy K30- Dmax Swap in Process! LBZ/ZF6
Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer37 View Post
don't need to lift cab. we do conversions weekly here in just 3-5 hours (on Already EGR deleted trucks) with EGR your talking closer to 10-12 hrs
all failures we've seen have been related to poor fuel quality/contamination. once they fail is what really gets expensive. 9 times of out 10 requires all new injectors, rail sensor, DRV Valve, Return line assembly with check valve, drop tank to clean, and clean all other fuel lines.
Hmmmm...so I guess I should invest in an Airdog or Fass.

Like I said, I really do NOT care about performance on this truck. Its just for testing new products, and because all I want is to have a nice new(er), quiet, non-smelly, smooth, comfortable and RELIABLE daily driver...

Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
Hmmmm...so I guess I should invest in an Airdog or Fass.
yes strongly recommended. additive never hurts either considering failures stem from lubricity & contamination 98% of the time.
'02 Chevy CCSB- The Original Shop Truck! Dana 60 SAS, Triple CP3's Currently S476/118mm Compound Set. Puller/Street Machine! Built By Wehrli Custom Fab
'76 GMC Puller with WCFab Dmax conversion
'87 GMC K2500- all original Classic!
'87 Chevy K30- Dmax Swap in Process! LBZ/ZF6
Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Hotrodder

I've done plenty of lml fuel system replacements due to failed cp4s (newer than 12s too) and If I owned an lml I would run a lift pump and additive for sure. If you're staying stock I'd just go with the cp4 til it fails or runs out of warranty. Then delete it and convert it.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Wanna be puller!

There's a nice right up on DF on a CP3 conversion install. I have seriously been considering doing this now that my truck is deleted!

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/20...-included.html

2011 CHEVY 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison LTZ

2005 CHEVY 2500HD RCLB 2WD Duramax/Allison

2002 GMC 2500HD RCLB Duramax/allison 2.6 puller
Special thanks to:
- Danville performance, Mark.
- Suncoast transmission's, Andrew.
- Wehrli custom fab, Jason.
- Profab, Rick
- Turbo performance, Levi.
- HSP, Joe and Dave.
- SoCal diesel.
- Wagler competition, Jeramy.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Hammer Down

what additive are you running guys? I know everyone has their own brand they prefer but why did you choose brand x or brand y?
WC FAB
S&S Diesel

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Daily
Limitless Diesel
WC FAB
Danville Performance
S&S Diesel
Xtreme Performance Solutions (Owner)

Owned 30+ Duramaxs Trucks
Old 10-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Hotrodder

I found this a long time ago and can't remember exactly where it came from. But it was a study on additives.
Screenshot_2014-08-18-22-43-50.jpg

Fwiw I have used stanadyne. My dealer recommended it. It ranked high in that study and showed to be more cost effective. You can buy it by the case on ebay.

Sold: 07 rclb lmm
SDP s475/stock Twisted Tuned
12.1@111 1.79 60ft
Old 10-21-2015, 12:48 PM
diesel freak

I'd recommend the Cp3 conversion and be done with it. I thought Fleece's kit allowed factory items to be retained, but I would be wrong.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Its all good until..BOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melms23 View Post
I found this a long time ago and can't remember exactly where it came from. But it was a study on additives.
Attachment 40050

Fwiw I have used stanadyne. My dealer recommended it. It ranked high in that study and showed to be more cost effective. You can buy it by the case on ebay.
X2 on Stanadyne, that's all my injection pump shop recommends, "He's a Certified Bosch, Stanadyne, Garret, and Borg Warner Repair Service Dealer...been in business for close to 30Years." I had a customer with a 6.7 Powerstroke gain 2MPG, going from the DPS+ to Stanadyne Performance Formula. I sell it by the case also
Old 12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
FNG

Add me to the list. 2016 Chevy 2500 with Duramax and 12,000 miles. Injector pump blew up. Dealer is going to replace pump, lines and injectors. Truck had Duramaxtuner Sport/Eco installed. They claim they do NOT increase pump pressure.

The only reason I bought a Duramax was because I have a friend with over 1,000,000 miles on his 2006. But obviously he doesn't have the same shit pump on his. I would be livid if I had to pay $10,000 over a German pump built in Mexico exploded in my Japanese powered US built truck. What the **** has happened to this country??
Old 12-27-2016, 12:34 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA View Post
Add me to the list. 2016 Chevy 2500 with Duramax and 12,000 miles. Injector pump blew up. Dealer is going to replace pump, lines and injectors. Truck had Duramaxtuner Sport/Eco installed. They claim they do NOT increase pump pressure.

The only reason I bought a Duramax was because I have a friend with over 1,000,000 miles on his 2006. But obviously he doesn't have the same shit pump on his. I would be livid if I had to pay $10,000 over a German pump built in Mexico exploded in my Japanese powered US built truck. What the **** has happened to this country??

You're very lucky they are covering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA View Post

Yes very lucky ! Do you have any type of aftermarket filtration/lift pump ?

14 DIESEL CRUZE DELETED FLEECE TUNED, K&N,
LOWERED

14 DIESEL CRUZE "WIFES" STOCK

07 LMM 2WD DELETED TUNED BY JEFF DEAN

2015 DODGE 2500 DIESEL CREW CAB G56 SBDD CLUTCH ARP'S TUNED AND DELETED
Old 12-27-2016, 01:10 PM
The Pusher Man

Default Real Lucky!

I don't understand why you buy a new truck then screw with it! I like the work the dealer refuses to fix but why.
2007 GMC c4500 Regency Western Hauler 235" Powerflow Dragster Powerflow, Howards rods,Arias piston,Fleece custom daul CP3, Fleece custom 80mm single turbo, Fleece injectors, 9" rear end, SoCal Diesel, Hughes powerglide, Mike's Race Wiring, Fuelabs pump, Ny-trex nitrous, Isspro gauges and Hamilton Cams thanks Zach