Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Hotrodder

Default LML CP4 Problems

I did some searching and found some information on this but did not find a thread dedicated to this subject. I have heard claims of failed CP4s wreaking havoc on the entire fuel system. Basically I am wondering the following:

-How exaggerated are these claims? does anyone have any firsthand experience with this happening or know of anyone who has experienced this issue.
-What causes this issue. I have heard that the current ultra low sulfur diesel has a lubricity which is lower than what is recommended by Bosch to run through their CP4 pump, is this true?
-What can be done to rectify this problem? (Lift pump, aux. filter, additive etc.)

Since I'm in the market for an LML I'm just starting to do some research on these trucks, this is the only thing I saw which really stood out at me.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Getting faster

only thing that can be fixed with that issue is swapping in a CP3 kit. IIRC I think Fleece has converted one, not sure. As far as first hand experience, I have none, but on duramax forum, there is 5-7 guys that have posted about their failed engines.

OldManTan
04 SC/SB 1500 Turbo LS/TH400
15 6.7 Cummins

Tailgate Member #1 I prefer the backdoor
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Hotrodder

I wonder if they were stock trucks or tuned? In other words does a tune starve the CP4 and worsen the issue?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Hotrodder

I believe it has something to do with what the plungers inside the pump are made of.

The ceramic plungers inside the injection pump of one of our 450ISX Cummins exploded and took out the whole motor.

The Rabbit-build in progress
1984 2wd SB c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider552 View Post
big balls if you measure in seconds of duration
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Hotrodder

We've had a few trucks with cp4 failures and have ended up replacing the entire fuel system. Trucks are 100% stock. Iirc it's due to the ceramic plungers as Dirtymaxx already said. I know fleece and maybe also wehrli make a cp3 conversion kit.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Hotrodder

We've seen it go both ways. One bone stock Duramax got by with just a new pump. The other two I remember were 6.7 Powerstrokes and they had to have complete systems done.
Beans Sump
Leveled w/ drop shackles
RidgeRunner Tunes
More to come

Rip zf6 swapped lly
Old 07-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Hotrodder

It definitely is the ceramic parts that cause the catastrophic failures of the system.
03 GMC 4x4 CC/SB Intake, 5" SS Exhaust, built motor by Me, Cognito Kryptonite Suspension upgrades, Custom Traction Bars by Me, Suncoast Trans, 1055-1 Convertor, Two AirDog II 200's, Billet Sump, Venom Tuning AKA Me, Custom Fabbed Fuel system, Flexlite Fans, 7.70/92.5 mph 1/8 with two cracked intake ports. HSP TRIPLES ARE HERE AND LOOKING FOR 10"S
2013 LML Daily Driver, 5" FloPro Exhaust, Venom Tuning, Ad 165 4G Lift Pump, Upcoming HSP Billet Bridge And Piping, Upcoming CP3 Conversion
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Multiple choice muscle

Over 50k on ours still going strong no issues. One trip towing heavy with it you will be in love. All trucks have there issues, and I feel the cp4 claims are exaggerated, you only hear about people posting the bad stuff, no one posts about about thousands of trouble free miles
"Rusty Bullet" 2007 Classic CCSB, 1 LT, Greystone 4X4, Cognito, EFI, tuned by McRat/Neens, DSP by Mike Meyer, PPE stuff, Autometer, Trippin, Airdog, MBRP, Bilstein, Hankook, TransGo Jr SOLD 437 hp 1051tq STOCK TRANS
"Tow Pig" 2003 LB7/Alli EC/LB 2x4 4" straight, cts, EFI, SOLD
"Squirel" 2000 Chevy Silvy 1500 RC/SB 5 speed 4.8 little screamer back to stock, had polished 243's ls6 intake cam and valve train
"Great White Hope" 2013 silverado 1500 z71 CCSB loaded Corsa Exhaust, gmpp intake, leveled, 5.3 HO
"White Power"-2012 GMC Sierra, White on tan leather, CCLB Dually, 4x4 LML Alli, All stock
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Gearhead

I replaced a friend of mines entire fuel system because of the cp4. It had a little over 100k on it and out of warranty. I tore the pump apart and saw the bores were all scarred up and one plunger wouldn't even move. The rollers on the bottom of t!he plungers had complete flat spots in them to where they wouldn't even ride on the cp4 cam right. Junk Pumps period!

2004 GMC Yukon xl 2500 with LBZ/6 speed allison, 285 tires and hummer rims, HD front end
Old 05-16-2015, 05:40 PM
FNG

Put me on the list. I've got a 2015 with 17k and the pump went out 1000 miles from home. All stock. Needs a whole new fuel system. Dealer said it could be two weeks. Not happy.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:46 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

Dam it.. I thought gm fixed that issuse...
2015 LML CC SB Denali < Lifted 20's 35's Deleted Airdog ETC. Sold...
2016 LML CC SB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's >I officially need help.
2010 RCSB SLT 1500 5.3 6L80 tvs2300 in the works...
Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 PM
11SIX

Why did they go to a CP4? Is it just bigger? Every time I read about this it makes me nervous about my inlaws LML that I tuned.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM
On the road again......

My 2012 took a dump on me, going 80 mph down the interstate in Wyoming, with 77,000 miles on it. (H&S Street Tune, FASS lift pump, cold air induction and 4" exhaust) A big shudder, dash flashed "Change Fuel Filter" then "Engine Power Reduced". Coasted to the exit ramp (fortunately it was MY exit!) that's when I realized the truck had completely shut down because I didn't have power steering anymore. Threw 7 codes, the first of which was Low fuel rail pressure. Most of the rest had to do with the truck having shut down and still moving faster than the CPU thought it should be moving. FASS filters had metal shavings in them. Factory filter had metal shavings in it. Still wouldn't start. Put it on a hook and took it to a diesel shop. Bottom line - they told me there is a service bulletin from GM on it. And the whole fuel system has to be replaced. (I have a copy of part of the bulletin where it mentions having to replace the whole fuel system if metal shavings are found.) So I'll have new everything, rails, injectors, pump, fuel lines, high pressure lines, etc. I asked the mechanic specifically and he said I have a CP3, not a CP4. That was a bit confusing because I'd been told by others that the 2012's all have CP4s. It's gonna cost me plenty to have it fixed. I didn't find out about the service bulletin until it was well into the tear-it-apart stages trying to find what all was damaged when the pump went out so don't know if I'll have a chance at getting anything back from GM for the repairs. Up until this happened, the truck was running like a champ. No rough running, missing, sluggishness or anything. Just WHAM and done! Can't wait to get it back. Should be done Thursday!

2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax with Allison Tranny, LMM, CC/SB. Cold air induction and just upgraded the exhaust and added EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, DPF Delete, EGR blocker, FASS fuel pump and fuel rail dump.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax with Allison Tranny. LML, CC/SB Cold air induction, 4" exhaust, FASS lift pump, H&S Mini Maxx. (Avatar picture is this truck)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl62 View Post
My 2012 took a dump on me, going 80 mph down the interstate in Wyoming, with 77,000 miles on it. (H&S Street Tune, FASS lift pump, cold air induction and 4" exhaust) A big shudder, dash flashed "Change Fuel Filter" then "Engine Power Reduced". Coasted to the exit ramp (fortunately it was MY exit!) that's when I realized the truck had completely shut down because I didn't have power steering anymore. Threw 7 codes, the first of which was Low fuel rail pressure. Most of the rest had to do with the truck having shut down and still moving faster than the CPU thought it should be moving. FASS filters had metal shavings in them. Factory filter had metal shavings in it. Still wouldn't start. Put it on a hook and took it to a diesel shop. Bottom line - they told me there is a service bulletin from GM on it. And the whole fuel system has to be replaced. (I have a copy of part of the bulletin where it mentions having to replace the whole fuel system if metal shavings are found.) So I'll have new everything, rails, injectors, pump, fuel lines, high pressure lines, etc. I asked the mechanic specifically and he said I have a CP3, not a CP4. That was a bit confusing because I'd been told by others that the 2012's all have CP4s. It's gonna cost me plenty to have it fixed. I didn't find out about the service bulletin until it was well into the tear-it-apart stages trying to find what all was damaged when the pump went out so don't know if I'll have a chance at getting anything back from GM for the repairs. Up until this happened, the truck was running like a champ. No rough running, missing, sluggishness or anything. Just WHAM and done! Can't wait to get it back. Should be done Thursday!
That's terrible luck man I hate to hear that. Unless you swapped out the cp4 the mechanic is wrong. I would not go back with a cp4, there are cp3 conversion kits available for relatively cheap.
2015 LML CC SB Denali < Lifted 20's 35's Deleted Airdog ETC. Sold...
2016 LML CC SB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's >I officially need help.
2010 RCSB SLT 1500 5.3 6L80 tvs2300 in the works...
Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 AM
<--- slippery roads

106,000 miles on mine...has anyone done any studies regarding additive, if it helps at all?

I dont have time/money to dick with a CP3 conversion right now...maybe this coming spring. I could care less about performance, I just want it to be reliable.

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Kory-PPEI.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks