Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinton View Post
well when you have to replace it three times for the same reason you will.
I would be questioning that statement in itself if I were you.

Hundreds maybe thousands of people pull and race and some also DD their trucks with bone stock pumps and never even have a leak let alone the level and amount of failures that you have had.

Also for many years almost nobody was doing this mod to the pump and spinning high rpms without issue. It wasn't until a few pullers had them come apart, with the extended periods of high rpms that they do, and so then start welding impellers did it catch on as the thing to do. Many see it today as preventitive. Especially considering the pia factor to replace it. Myself I'm not sold on the idea everyone needs it.

So, not saying you're doing anything wrong at all. Maybe it's just bad luck, maybe delco quality control or their pumps aren't what they used to be. Maybe we are running these engines different from how we did 10 years ago.

All I know is I'd be looking a little deeper into my engine if I were you. Myself in my LBZ I had numerous pulls and passes up to 4000 rpm and the original pump was still in the engine with 200 000 miles on it give or take when the crank broke. Never even leaked a drop.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 09:20 PM
<<<< No Horsepower

Default Busted Danville pinned pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post

Hundreds maybe thousands of people pull and race and some also DD their trucks with bone stock pumps and never even have a leak let alone the level and amount of failures that you have had.

Also for many years almost nobody was doing this mod to the pump and spinning high rpms without issue. It wasn't until a few pullers had them come apart, with the extended periods of high rpms that they do, and so then start welding impellers did it catch on as the thing to do. Many see it today as preventitive. Especially considering the pia factor to replace it. Myself I'm not sold on the idea everyone needs it.

So, not saying you're doing anything wrong at all. Maybe it's just bad luck, maybe delco quality control or their pumps aren't what they used to be. Maybe we are running these engines different from how we did 10 years ago.

All I know is I'd be looking a little deeper into my engine if I were you. Myself in my LBZ I had numerous pulls and passes up to 4000 rpm and the original pump was still in the engine with 200 000 miles on it give or take when the crank broke. Never even leaked a drop.

I agree 100% stock water pump here knock on wood.
Also how does gm parts have anything to do with a pin falling out that was never installed by gm in the first place? What kind of pin is used in that? A roll pin?
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post

Some people have good luck some people have bad luck. I know quite a few guys that have busted a welded pump, and this is just local. 10 years ago we weren't running the power we are now, let alone the amount of built trucks today vs then. It's a matter of luck just like anything when it comes to racing.

Alive 11/15/13: lowered, Built motor, s475, plenty of fuel, plenty of spray. Tune 3 fuel only 11.84 @114, Tune 5 little bit of spray 11.45 @ 121. Both times with melted turbine wheel, loose turbo from pedestal with blown out flange gasket. .
Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

I myself would be looking for a reason there's excessive pressure in the cooling system. Could very well be another issue causing the repeated water pump failures that you havent found yet.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 AM
Hotrodder

Obviously the Danville one would have nothing to do with a engine problem. The weld broke holding the dowel in. My housing you can see how it just ate the dowel as it worked it's way out. Now if snapped the pin ya I could see it then.

Alive 11/15/13: lowered, Built motor, s475, plenty of fuel, plenty of spray. Tune 3 fuel only 11.84 @114, Tune 5 little bit of spray 11.45 @ 121. Both times with melted turbine wheel, loose turbo from pedestal with blown out flange gasket. .
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 AM

I always thought those pins were press-fit.
Im going more off what Mark said about the pressures in the cooling system and what you said about having three different pumps fail. You very well could have another factor at work here that hasnt been discovered yet.
Not saying that lets the Danville pump off the hook, but I think its prudent to start doing some research as to "why".

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 AM
Hotrodder

Oh I understand. After the second pump busted I searched through cooling system, I replaced radiator, thermostats, checked oil cooler, hoses for a rag or something and nothing. Thought it might be headgasket but checked that also.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 AM

I was thinking you have a head lifting enough to over pressure the system but not enough to cause a definite, definable problem.
Did all three failures happen after doing the same things with the truck (ie...racing, high-hp run then let off throttle quick, burnouts, etc)??

Im not accusing, Im just asking.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 AM
Hotrodder

The first one yes. The second one cruising at 70mph on highway.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 AM
<<<< No Horsepower

Ohh I see they have a solid pin and weld to to the impeller. I see how a casting, material, or case hardening could prevent a good weld now from the vendor. That makes sense. But why the heck not just drill a hole, install a roll pin. Seems like a much better option on something like this than a welded solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 AM
Hotrodder

Anyone ever thread the pin into the impeller then used thread locker? Instead of dowel pinning in the end like a key, on several of our hydraulic jacks, when they put the large diameter piston onto a stock chrome rod, they thread a setscrew crossways to lock the piston and rod together. Seems to keep them from spinning off when the jack gets twisted under load.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Traded for '17 Denali

18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinton View Post
Obviously the Danville one would have nothing to do with a engine problem. The weld broke holding the dowel in. My housing you can see how it just ate the dowel as it worked it's way out. Now if snapped the pin ya I could see it then.
You're saying the dowel was welded? I've installed a danville pump and it was just pressed in like a normal dowel would be.
305 50 20 Nitto 420s
12.83 @ 104.78
Old 04-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Daggum farm truck

The pinned pumps I've seen used what looked like a roll pin.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Hotrodder

Yes it was tack welded.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Gearhead

Since the issue doesn't seem to be the pin shearing, but rather coming out. I would think if you used a bit shorter pin and then plug welded both ends of the hole shut, that would solve the issue. I don't think it would be all that difficult either.