Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENODMAX View Post
Paul how come in Acoombs' thread did you say his steel would be fine, and now in this one you say it wont
Please show me where I said it would be fine?
Member #2

06 2500HD LLY reg cab 4wd

Ever feel like lying, down inside a grave
Listen to the elegy, a buyer of the hate
Ever dance beside the devil, taste the barrel of a gauge,
Ever pull the trigger, the light begins to fade
Feel like slipping away
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
as far as I know Nathan used non stainless steel on at least his early twins. Mine are over 4 years old and I have no idea how many thousands of miles. Zero problems........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
That can't be right. You would have had to replace it hundreds of times by now...
I don't care what Nathan uses. Just because he builds something doesn't make it right

YA, what do I know....I just make this stuff up as I go along. It was my mistake for trying to help someone. Please use whatever you want and learn the hard way. I sick of trying to argue points that have already been proven

DuramaxPowered No direspect inteded to you.....only those that think they know everything about parts they didn't and could't build

On Edit: Do people think I get so kind of kick-back by using high quality materials I was brought up to do things right and not half @ss them....and yes that means selecting the propermaterial for its intended use. The people that come up with the operating range on metals are far smarter than you or I. When I pick something I do use what ifs or it should work. Would you put a 30 amp plug on your stove? Because it should work and may last years
Member #2

Feel like slipping away

Last edited by Turbo Buick 6; 03-11-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Dead Wrong

i wasnt arguing just simply asking why. i didnt claim anything. just wanted info paul.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
<--- slippery roads

I wasnt arguing either. All im asking is if aluminized steel "will" crack, how come my (and all of the other MPI kits) 4 1/2 year old set is still fine? Not sure I understand the comment insinuating that I dont know anything about fabricating twins or working with metal either, unless that was directed at someone else.

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Making Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Buick 6 View Post
I don't care what Nathan uses. Just because he builds something doesn't make it right

YA, what do I know....I just make this stuff up as I go along. It was my mistake for trying to help someone. Please use whatever you want and learn the hard way. I sick of trying to argue points that have already been proven

DuramaxPowered No direspect inteded to you.....only those that think they know everything about parts they didn't and could't build

On Edit: Do people think I get so kind of kick-back by using high quality materials I was brought up to do things right and not half @ss them....and yes that means selecting the propermaterial for its intended use. The people that come up with the operating range on metals are far smarter than you or I. When I pick something I do use what ifs or it should work. Would you put a 30 amp plug on your stove? Because it should work and may last years

Paul, its a waste if time with some of these guys. I know how you feel.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Daggum farm truck

Sorry Turbo Buick 6, I didn't realize you were the SME on this. I didn't know that after building two kits you could already know everything there is to know about building twins. I guess from now on I'll see my way out of these types of threads so as not to contradict your posts.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry Turbo Buick 6, I didn't realize you were the SME on this. I didn't know that after building two kits you could already know everything there is to know about building twins. I guess from now on I'll see my way out of these types of threads so as not to contradict your posts.
2 kits? I have been building this crap for almost 10 years. I don't make this stuff up, look at the specs for specific materials and you come up with the correct stuff. You might skate by with ms, but isn't the extra 30 bucks worth knowing you have a material intended for its useage? Im not trying to flame on anyone. Just stating proven facts. As I said, wouldn't you be willing to pay 30 bucks to have the correct material? I am here to try and help people and make suggestions. I back them with statistical data. Sure you can prob get away with less but that's not the way I do things. People are free to do what they want but I get offened when I state specs on material to try and help and people argue with it. I didn't come up with this stuff, the people that make the steel did. No hard feelings, just been having a bad day.

And as far as fatiuging goes, as far as I know I am the only person to run ms and then send it out for a destructive metalurgical analisys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM

when I get home im goin to move off topic posts to a new thread since I feel like I have booged up someone elses thread
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
I wasnt arguing either. All im asking is if aluminized steel "will" crack, how come my (and all of the other MPI kits) 4 1/2 year old set is still fine? Not sure I understand the comment insinuating that I dont know anything about fabricating twins or working with metal either, unless that was directed at someone else.

ben
Are they MS? How do you know? I have no clue what MPI uses, that is why I am asking. Why didn't hey crack.....dont know, may luck. But I can tell you MS is not designed for over 800F.....not my opinion, its a fact. My comment was not diected twards anyone specific. Is way ment to say the correct way to select material is by service application, not oh well so and so uses it and it works. Even if it work its still the wrong material opperating outside its design limitations.

I rather some good tech to come out of a debate than for everyone to hate eachother
Member #2

Feel like slipping away
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
i wasnt arguing just simply asking why. i didnt claim anything. just wanted info paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoombs View Post
I think he was just sayin mine wouldnt rust. They will fatigue over time from heat however. If I get 30,000 miles out of them I will be very happy.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wish everyone the best of luck with what they have and hope it works. I don't know alot about many things but I do work with steel for a living and there are codes for what material will work for a specific aplication. Heck, several times I have called the QA QC manager of the Co I work for to get tech info on material. I wish I could post the application chart from work but unfrtunately it is propietory info and I could loose my job for doing it. I gain little out of posting about it, but I enjoy trying to help others
Member #2

Feel like slipping away
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Dead Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLLY View Post
Paul, its a waste if time with some of these guys. I know how you feel.
Who exactly are you referring to?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Making Chips

Quote:
Who exactly are you referring to?
You aren't one of them unless you want to be

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Dead Wrong

nope i was just curious who that was directed at
Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Beer Nazi

Quote:
seriously why do you act like such a ***** when someone says anything about Rob, Nathan or hell even Cole. You always get weird when someone mentions your buddies.

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2

Last edited by paint94979; 03-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Are they MS? How do you know? I have no clue what MPI uses, that is why I am asking.
as far as I know its not stainless or anything special. Whats MS? Mild steel? Im not going to pretend I know about something I dont have the slightest clue about. Im not one who can lick a piece of metal and then rattle off every spec and attribute of it, Im just an idiot who can put a duramax and allison together following a service manual that someone smarter than me wrote.

Quote:
Even if it work its still the wrong material.
so.....? If it works, who cares? We arent building mars-bound rocket ships here. Im not going to be dissapointed if my twins piping/welding/materials choice doesnt pass with NASA.

just my [severely uneducated] opinion, I dont mean any offence to anyone in this thread.

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks

Last edited by duratothemax; 03-14-2009 at 10:59 PM.