Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Have you seen this?

#11340C: Special Coverage Adjustment-Timing Chain Wear - (Feb 16, 2012)

Subject: 11340C – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7/LLT)

Condition
On some 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7), under certain driving conditions, and with the vehicle’s original oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Yes Tom, I've seen it.

That's why I got a smile out of the comments about bashing the Acadia, this 3.6 motor is the new small block chevy of GM, they put this thing in everything. There may be more 5.3s out there (just because of the number of 1/2 ton trucks, Tahoes, Burbs, etc etc) But there are a BUNCH of 3.6s and they ALL suffer from this.

My daughter's car has had the chains replaced once already under that coverage, it had like 40k miles on it then. My wife's 2008 SRX had the chains replaced under that program as well.

But here we are today, daughter's car has 165,000 miles on it now, so like 125,000 on the chains. P0008 and P0017 codes showing up. She's outside of the GM coverage, so we all know that means???

You guessed it! She falls under the "Dad" coverage. (single mother, hard worker and I kind of like her a little bit )

Think LB7 injectors, boys and girls! If your in the window of the coverage, maybe GM will repair it, or if they do replace the item and you put a lot of miles on it, at some point the repair will be on you.

But I digress, I got to thinking.

The ceiling of my shop, right above the lift is braced, from back in the day. Before I got the lift I hung a chain fall there for pulling motors.

I may raise the car, cut the "K" member loose, suspend the front of the car from the old chain fall point, then lower the lift with the "k" member and the rear of the car on it?

Seems legit, right? What could possibly go wrong??

:dontkn ow:

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison, under construction.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_LBZ View Post
I have not received any from GM but everything I have read shows that GM offered an extended warranty 10yr/120K on the older models (engine code LY7) and in 2010 made changes to the timing chain assembly among other changes, engine code "LLT". Speculation is they went with a different chain manufacturer and revised how the chain gets lubrication. The causes of the chain failure are hard to pinpoint, but GM wasn't the only company with similar timing chain issues. Reduced oil change intervals by reprogramming the oil life monitor were common "fixes". Assuming it was lack of lubrication causing them to stretch.
That and the fact that the chains have "actuators" that hold tension on the chains, based on oil pressure.

This platform also had an issue with oil consumption, due do a poorly designed PCV system. They would actually draw oil into the intake track and burn it. This would leave the engine low on oil, low oil = low / interrupted oil pressure. Timing chain tension actuators don't see enough oil pressure, bad things start to happen.

So GMs answer? Reprogram the ECM to tell you to change the oil more frequently, not that the oil has magically gone bad SOONER, but just to make sure its always at an acceptable level.

All this stuff is well documented on the fifth gen Camaro forums.

Remember, this same engine in an "F" body is rated at 306hp. The guys that hot rod the v6 Camaros altered the PCV system. Building special catch cans, etc etc etc.

Once again I digress.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Yes Tom, I've seen it.

That's why I got a smile out of the comments about bashing the Acadia, this 3.6 motor is the new small block chevy of GM, they put this thing in everything. There may be more 5.3s out there (just because of the number of 1/2 ton trucks, Tahoes, Burbs, etc etc) But there are a BUNCH of 3.6s and they ALL suffer from this.

My daughter's car has had the chains replaced once already under that coverage, it had like 40k miles on it then. My wife's 2008 SRX had the chains replaced under that program as well.

But here we are today, daughter's car has 165,000 miles on it now, so like 125,000 on the chains. P0008 and P0017 codes showing up. She's outside of the GM coverage, so we all know that means???

You guessed it! She falls under the "Dad" coverage. (single mother, hard worker and I kind of like her a little bit )

Think LB7 injectors, boys and girls! If your in the window of the coverage, maybe GM will repair it, or if they do replace the item and you put a lot of miles on it, at some point the repair will be on you.

But I digress, I got to thinking.

The ceiling of my shop, right above the lift is braced, from back in the day. Before I got the lift I hung a chain fall there for pulling motors.

I may raise the car, cut the "K" member loose, suspend the front of the car from the old chain fall point, then lower the lift with the "k" member and the rear of the car on it?

Seems legit, right? What could possibly go wrong??

:dontkn ow:
I figured you may have.

So you're the family mechanic too, eh? Ive got fuel filler/evap problems on a G6 to solve, and when I can get to it, intake and oil pan gasket (and pan) on a Grand Prix. Yay!

Honestly, your lift idea sounds like it might work.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:37 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

I second the lift idea. I would do it!
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
I figured you may have.

So you're the family mechanic too, eh? Ive got fuel filler/evap problems on a G6 to solve, and when I can get to it, intake and oil pan gasket (and pan) on a Grand Prix. Yay!

Honestly, your lift idea sounds like it might work.
There is always a job in "que" waiting to get in.

Then add in being the handyman for (3) adult kids, and the MOVER! (I'm getting too old for this shit!) Beginning to see why my old man moved away when he retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
I second the lift idea. I would do it!
I still have to figure out a way to "crib" the raised front end of the car, so I'm not working under a suspended load.

Option "B" would be to cut an access panel in the passenger side inner fender, so the front of the engine is more accessible.

I've seen guys do that kind of thing to service a fuel pump, rather than drop the tank, just wack a hole in the floor and reach through.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
There is always a job in "que" waiting to get in.

Then add in being the handyman for (3) adult kids, and the MOVER! (I'm getting too old for this shit!) Beginning to see why my old man moved away when he retired!

I still have to figure out a way to "crib" the raised front end of the car, so I'm not working under a suspended load.

Option "B" would be to cut an access panel in the passenger side inner fender, so the front of the engine is more accessible.

I've seen guys do that kind of thing to service a fuel pump, rather than drop the tank, just wack a hole in the floor and reach through.
yup, thats always an option as well.
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Hotrodder

Nah, that ain't CHANKY at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-26-2018, 04:55 AM

Sometimes, you do what you have to do.....

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Hotrodder

That is a very nice setup indeed. I would be redneck proud as heck about what you have going there.

Chain, check ... 55 gal barrel, check ... jack stands, check .... misc wood / cribbing, check .... no problem

2004 CC SB LB7 Auto
OS - 15189044
Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
That is a very nice setup indeed. I would be redneck proud as heck about what you have going there.

Chain, check ... 55 gal barrel, check ... jack stands, check .... misc wood / cribbing, check .... no problem
Thank you, I'd like to claim that it all worked flawlessly BUT............ The barrel did not survive.

Luckily my wife was on point and saw it begin to settle on one side.

We had enough time to get jack stands under the body on top of the lift. So a crisis was averted. As of now, the body and "K" member with engine / transaxle, are all sitting on the lift.

Looking at it, I think I can use one floor jack on each lift rail, under the body to drop the body back down. Time will tell.

Installed the new chains / guides / tensioners / idler gears and crank sprocket last night.

It's a bit of a process to get everything timed correctly. The "right" or rear exhaust cam did not seem to want to "sit" in the correct "timed" position. If I let any tension of off the chain, while installing the guides, that cam would pop back one tooth. I double and triple checked everything, hopefully I have it set correctly.

Waiting on parts now. Should have it back together this Saturday.

Never would have believed it would be so hard to find an intake manifold gasket. Had to order one in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyehWKDV-Y&t=309s

Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Hotrodder

Man what a pain in the ass, props to you for taking that on

4' MBRP SS
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmackmiller View Post
Man what a pain in the ass, props to you for taking that on

Thanks.

What are you going to do? She's my daughter, single mom, works hard. She doesn't have 3k to pay someone to do it. So it's either I pay someone 3k, or do it myself. I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay someone, to do what I can do myself.

Got it all back together Saturday.

New;
1. chains
2. tensioners
3. guides
4. lower sprockets
5. water pump
6. spark plugs
7. EVAP solenoid ( that was throwing a code too)
8. serpentine belt
9. obviously all new fluids

Runs like a top, no codes no leaks etc.

She's happy and I don't have to sweat her or my grandkids driving around in a breakdown waiting to happen.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

What are you going to do? She's my daughter, single mom, works hard. She doesn't have 3k to pay someone to do it. So it's either I pay someone 3k, or do it myself. I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay someone, to do what I can do myself.

Got it all back together Saturday.

New;
1. chains
2. tensioners
3. guides
4. lower sprockets
5. water pump
6. spark plugs
7. EVAP solenoid ( that was throwing a code too)
8. serpentine belt
9. obviously all new fluids

Runs like a top, no codes no leaks etc.

She's happy and I don't have to sweat her or my grandkids driving around in a breakdown waiting to happen.
id be doing the same thing.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 AM

....and THAT, my friends, is what being a Dad is all about. Period. End of story.

03, I'm buying you a beer if you and I ever meet up. You know, its not like we both live in Michigan or anything......

Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
....and THAT, my friends, is what being a Dad is all about. Period. End of story.

03, I'm buying you a beer if you and I ever meet up. You know, its not like we both live in Michigan or anything......
You name the time and place Tom, I'll be there.

Remember I have a MDI with a GlobalConnect subscription, if you ever need it.