Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
what im getting at is you can still get significant ring wear and have clearancing opening up in the bottom end but "it still looks good". stuff you cant feel or see with a hand/eye. main and rod clearances are generally in the .00xx range. thats very tiny and opening up .001 is a significant difference. if you used synthetics from day one and had some specs to go with it, i could agree with you.

btw, im not trying to dog ya Reger. i like synthetics too for the properties they carry and what they hold up to vs reg dino oil.

whats directional drilling if you dont mind me asking?
Instead of running the rig and a crew I just do the steering side of the well, I drill the directional section as per a well plan whether it be the tangent, or curve and lateral and steer the drilling tools the direction they want to drill. Itís two and a half times the money I was making and Iím the only guy I have to worry about, only downfall is thereís no set days off and thereís a lot more responsibility, but for less stress and more money I think itíll average out.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:38 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
Instead of running the rig and a crew I just do the steering side of the well, I drill the directional section as per a well plan whether it be the tangent, or curve and lateral and steer the drilling tools the direction they want to drill. Itís two and a half times the money I was making and Iím the only guy I have to worry about, only downfall is thereís no set days off and thereís a lot more responsibility, but for less stress and more money I think itíll average out.
Oh hell yeah!
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Gearhead

Quote:

Make sure you physically can see any underground utility crossings. We use cal bore a lot for directional boring. I had a job pulling 4Ē gas main a couple thousand feet and they hit a 69kv electric line in the process that was already potholed but they didnít care to see it ahead of time. It was not good.
EFI LIVE BY PPEI
4" STRAIGHT PIPED
AIR DOG 4G 165
BANKS INTAKE
AFE TURBO INLET
BUILD TRANS BY MIKE L
GOEREND R

Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
what im getting at is you can still get significant ring wear and have clearancing opening up in the bottom end but "it still looks good". stuff you cant feel or see with a hand/eye. main and rod clearances are generally in the .00xx range. thats very tiny and opening up .001 is a significant difference. if you used synthetics from day one and had some specs to go with it, i could agree with you.

btw, im not trying to dog ya Reger. i like synthetics too for the properties they carry and what they hold up to vs reg dino oil.

whats directional drilling if you dont mind me asking?
But without all the dimensions on the OEM assembly, it's still a crap shoot. I've tore down several high mileage diesel that still had mains / rod bearings that were too tight even for new IMO.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLLY View Post
Make sure you physically can see any underground utility crossings. We use cal bore a lot for directional boring. I had a job pulling 4Ē gas main a couple thousand feet and they hit a 69kv electric line in the process that was already potholed but they didnít care to see it ahead of time. It was not good.
Iím doing deep hole directional drilling in the Marcellus and Utica, 15,000-25,000í wells like Iíve always done just be on the less BS end of it. Working on a drilling rig ainít what it was 5 years ago, and my back definitely isnít what it was 5 years ago, recently found out Iíve got 4 herniated disks and itís getting worse fast.

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Iím doing deep hole directional drilling in the Marcellus and Utica, 15,000-25,000í wells like Iíve always done just be on the less BS end of it. Working on a drilling rig ainít what it was 5 years ago, and my back definitely isnít what it was 5 years ago, recently found out Iíve got 4 herniated disks and itís getting worse fast.

Sorry to hear about the disks. I herniated my L5 S1 years ago and still not 100%. Id recommend holding out on surgery as long as possible. Try a cortisone shot first.
EFI LIVE BY PPEI
4" STRAIGHT PIPED
AIR DOG 4G 165
BANKS INTAKE
AFE TURBO INLET
BUILD TRANS BY MIKE L
GOEREND R

Old 03-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Hotrodder

Fifteen years ago I spent $400,000 on drilling three wells on my property , I thought that was big time to go to the second elk sand at 3282 , but like you said 25.000 ft then going horizontal , that is so cool ! For $400,000 now you probably cant even get one of those gigantic sites built to start to drill ! Good luck wilt your job and with your build , a lot of people cant imagine the stress of your job !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Fifteen years ago I spent $400,000 on drilling three wells on my property , I thought that was big time to go to the second elk sand at 3282 , but like you said 25.000 ft then going horizontal , that is so cool ! For $400,000 now you probably cant even get one of those gigantic sites built to start to drill ! Good luck wilt your job and with your build , a lot of people cant imagine the stress of your job !
Eclipse has went 31,000 on the pa/oh border, which is a total of 21,000 lateral footage, they’re calling them super laterals, it’s nuts what they’re doing now, I remember in 2010 when a 4,000’ lateral was a big feat. Still some big gas in those elk sands, I drilled out surface section to TD in the berea at 2300’ and had a 50’ flare with no air on the hole took 28 hours to kill it.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLLY View Post
Sorry to hear about the disks. I herniated my L5 S1 years ago and still not 100%. Id recommend holding out on surgery as long as possible. Try a cortisone shot first.
I canít do shit until I have insurance again, but surgery is the last thing Iíll do, I have two that are minor and my L2 and L5 stick out farther than the vertebrae, that what that grab er and growl mantality gets me though.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Hotrodder

People do not know how tough that job is until they do it ! I worked on a drilling rig and frac rig doing shallow wells for three years to get an in depth knowledge of the process prior to spending that sort of money ! But believe me thats all the longer I wanted to do that much dangerous , deadly work ! Frac jobs in 20* to 30*half frozen frac fluid falling 50 ft on your head , soaked to the bone , it is tough ! I am glad your inside the rig now !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch