Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Hotrodder

Default ATI damper

Have most of you that bought an ATI damper , that is going on an oem crank , found it necessary to send it out to be honed at a machine shop ? Or were you able with the ATI install tool and Duramax attachment parts , got it to go on ok ! I am trying to figure out how long this might take ! I dont want to tie up my families shop too long ! Thanks !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Yes, its really me

I used a flap wheel on a die grinder and “lightly polished” it. It went on, but was very difficult before I did that. Afterwards it goes on with pretty good resistance, but it’s not unreasonable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Hotrodder

I was hoping you would say that because I ordered everything already then I read about some of the problems people on other sites were having ! Its great having people that know what they are doing chime in on this site ! Thanks again !!!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
I used a flap wheel on a die grinder and “lightly polished” it. It went on, but was very difficult before I did that. Afterwards it goes on with pretty good resistance, but it’s not unreasonable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Which anti seize works best , ceramic ultra high temp , copper high temp or the gray ? Or does it not matter ! Thanks !
Old 03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Oughta Know Better

Leave the engine(or complete truck obviously) outside in the cold. Then when you are ready to install the damper, heat up the hub part with a butane torch. This should help it go on. You have to be careful using the damper bolt to press it on. If it doesnt have enough thread contact before you start putting the muscle to it, you'll pull the threads right out of the crank snout.
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 03-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Hotrodder

Thanks Isaac , I bought the ATI install tool $180 plus $50 duramax adapter to try and do it right ! That is a great idea about the cold and hot , between that and a little sanding I hope all will be well ! Thanks , If you ever need that tool , I will be glad to run it down to you ! I hope I dont need it again until my eng build !
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Oughta Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Thanks Isaac , I bought the ATI install tool $180 plus $50 duramax adapter to try and do it right ! That is a great idea about the cold and hot , between that and a little sanding I hope all will be well ! Thanks , If you ever need that tool , I will be glad to run it down to you ! I hope I dont need it again until my eng build !
Yep, good luck. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Whenever you're done let me know and I'll rent it from you if that's cool

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
LBZ & 4x4 Conversion in progress...
Turned into a frame off restomod
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Hotrodder

You pay shipping both ways and you can use it for free ! DHD said it will take about two weeks for me to get my order all put together , I ordered several things that are on back order . I will check in with you when I am finished with it !
Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Gearhead

Ordered a SoCal set-up recently for my brother's, he was able to send it back and get a refund after he used it.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post
Leave the engine(or complete truck obviously) outside in the cold. Then when you are ready to install the damper, heat up the hub part with a butane torch. This should help it go on. You have to be careful using the damper bolt to press it on. If it doesnt have enough thread contact before you start putting the muscle to it, you'll pull the threads right out of the crank snout.
Carolina HD good news , I just put my ATI damper on today and Isaac was 100% correct , no tools needed to press on damper , I dissembled the damper and put the inner hub on an old coil style hot plate for about 10 min on high , it slipped right on while holding it with welders gloves , got it to about 250 , not hot enough to hurt seal ! Thanks a lot Isaac G !
Old 04-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Oughta Know Better

Quote:
Carolina HD good news , I just put my ATI damper on today and Isaac was 100% correct , no tools needed to press on damper , I dissembled the damper and put the inner hub on an old coil style hot plate for about 10 min on high , it slipped right on while holding it with welders gloves , got it to about 250 , not hot enough to hurt seal ! Thanks a lot Isaac G !

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone

'Oughta K

Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Hotrodder

Well Thank you Isaac for setting me strait on 2 different subjects tonight