Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 AM
I like turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmax View Post
After talking with Randy Winberg, and Callies in person this past weekend. What make's his crank higher end then Callies? As he say's Wagler uses his crank's in higher hp build's? And the Callies is not anywhere near the quality, as those were the words' straight from his mouth. Being that the crank is about the cost, of a good set of rod's and piston's. If it indeed is the ultimate fix for the crank, as AF Cams' are still breaking crank's. I see no reason why price would have any influence on it.
How many new cranks have broke that was running af cams from the day it was installed? All the ones I seen break was people using used cranks that was ran with old ones. I do think power levels play a huge role.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Build what others' won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
How many new cranks have broke that was running af cams from the day it was installed? All the ones I seen break was people using used cranks that was ran with old ones. I do think power levels play a huge role.
I only know of less then a handful that broke with AF cam and new lml crank, in a build. The cam was suppose too be the fix, and has proved to me, and a good number of us that it is not the case. But you're exactly right, they have broken many more using an old crank. And what you use the truck for at the power level is a huge role.

Last edited by Slowmax; 12-15-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Making Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
This is my line of thought as well.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Gearhead

Thanks for the info and opinions. I will be using a socal crank if that's the route I take. Really wish there was more DD'ers out there with billet cranks. It's definitely a lot of money to add to an already high bill!!!!
11.83@116

06 LBZ EC/SB 4x4
JoshH-Top Notch Garage tunes
Built trans by JoshH!!!

95 RC/LB 4x4
LS3 swap with factory nv4500 trans
Needing some JoshH Tuning!!

Huge thanks to JoshH and coker6303
Old 12-15-2016, 10:15 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's max View Post
Thanks for the info and opinions. I will be using a socal crank if that's the route I take. Really wish there was more DD'ers out there with billet cranks. It's definitely a lot of money to add to an already high bill!!!!
there are very few that have built engines and DD them. guys that build them generally use them for fun or drag trucks. Most that DD them will not be running around on 800+ tunes either. For one, you will need 4wd all the time to even use and Two, you get that high in the HP and you will wear the drivetrain out quickly.

the other thing is turnover rate. ive seen alot of guys (not on this forum) that have built their engines and made awesome power, then sold the truck not but a year or two later because they had too many things nickle and dime them (engine related or not) or it just wasnt as well rounded of a truck as they had thought.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 AM
I like turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
there are very few that have built engines and DD them. guys that build them generally use them for fun or drag trucks. Most that DD them will not be running around on 800+ tunes either. For one, you will need 4wd all the time to even use and Two, you get that high in the HP and you will wear the drivetrain out quickly.

the other thing is turnover rate. ive seen alot of guys (not on this forum) that have built their engines and made awesome power, then sold the truck not but a year or two later because they had too many things nickle and dime them (engine related or not) or it just wasnt as well rounded of a truck as they had thought.
I agree. 1000hp dd is not gonna last. These magazines make people think it could be done.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Gold Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post

I agree with all of this. Once you turn the power up all sorts of little things start to pop up. Whether it be as little as blowing intercooler boots, or as big as trans refreshes, it just seems like there is always something. Also worth noting there is absolutely no need for 800+hp in a daily driver haha. I poke around for fun on tune 3 which is probably in that 800hp neighborhood and I rarely see the need to turn it up unless I am at the track. It is downright scary(useless) on the street. Tires melt at anything less than 70 in 2wd.
Suncoast Competition trans and Goerend Converter
1125hp/1628lbft 10.52@132

Thanks to
Chris @ Roderiques ATV in Westport MA
Mark Broviak @ Danville
Joe and Dave @ HSPdiesel
Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Gearhead

Very true James. This is going in my 95 truck that will never be sold and it's definitely for fun and will make it to the track occasionally. I own several trucks and this one is not really even driven much. I guess I should be asking would be any reasons a billet crank shouldn't be used? Socal has to machine the rods so could there be any long term affects there by putting more miles on one than most would?
11.83@116

06 LBZ EC/SB 4x4
Built trans by JoshH!!!

95 RC/LB 4x4

Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Shits broke

Not 1000 but almost there. Daily driven and traction isn't much of an issue. Still on the stock crank and standard firing order cam. Probably go with a LML crank next time. Trans was refreshed two years ago. Pistons were replaced four years ago. Truck has 105,000 miles total. First 25,000 was 600hp, 750hp till 55,000, 900+ now

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Daggum farm truck

Just buy the billet crank!

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Haha!! I was hoping for hard evidence to show the Miss it's the way to go!!!!
11.83@116

06 LBZ EC/SB 4x4
Built trans by JoshH!!!

95 RC/LB 4x4

Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
^^

there isnt a reason a billet crank will affect how you drive it. just how empty your wallet is
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Coker6303's ***** Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's max View Post
Haha!! I was hoping for hard evidence to show the Miss it's the way to go!!!!
Who is king of the roost, you or her? Haha

I still vote new LML crank and AF cam.
2006 RC/LB LBZ, Tow Mirror Killer. Under the knife again and looking for more horsepuppies.

Big thanks to Josh Harris, Josh Chambers, and my brother Russell Coker for all the help with the LBZ.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Daggum farm truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coker6365 View Post
Who is king of the roost, you or her? Haha

I still vote new LML crank and AF cam.
Shut your trap! This is Allen's money we're spending here!

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 12-16-2016, 05:08 AM
Hotrodder

If you want much less chances of breaking one use the Callie's Crank. I believe they are the only one that has addressed the problem areas. If you stay stock the LML crank would be the best option. Good machine work and balancing are very important so make sure it's right. There is about a 2500 buck difference in the two cranks at the cheapest comparison. Most built engines don't last long for the money you spend on them. Most miles I have gotten was mid 60 thousand. Least mikes was 7 thousand. The higher mileage one cracked a Mahle piston around 1000hp area. The lower mileage broke the crank that was in the previous one. It was around 1200 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03 GMC 4x4 CC/SB Intake, Dual Exhaust, built motor by Me, Cognito Kryptonite Suspension upgrades, Custom Traction Bars by Me, Suncoast Trans, 1055-1 Convertor, Two AirDog II 200's, Billet Sump, Venom Tuning AKA Me, Custom Fabbed Fuel system, Flexlite Fans, Best Time to date 7.14 at 98.21 mph 1211.8HP 1954.5 FT/Lb torque
2013 LML Daily Driver, 5" FloPro Exhaust, Venom Tuning, Ad 165 4G Lift Pump, Upcoming HSP Billet Bridge And Piping, Upcoming CP3 Conversion