Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 AM
DirtyMax

Default Finally got my 1st diesel... where do I start?

Hey guys, new to the site. I just got my 1st diesel truck! Its an 03 Sierra 2500. I love it, like I knew I would. Im just not really, in love with THIS truck. I wish I could afford a low mileage LBZ with leather and a sunroof and all the good stuff.... my truck, has nothing really. Not even carpet...
It's all good tho, it's a start and it will be usable for my family, for now.
So it's got 135k on the clock and seems to run pretty good. The test drive was ok and my 1st drive home with it was fun and I made good time... had no problems.
But now, 50 miles later, it says low coolant all the time, but the ECT hasnt gone over 210.
The oil pressure seems fine while driving, but as soon as I let off the throttle, it goes down to 6-7 psi and it starts dinging.
I checked for codes before the test drive and there were none. Now there's a ton of codes..... EGR and all kinds of stuff!
It does look to have a 4" exhaust and a CAI, from what I can see..... not sure if anything else.
Has anybody else had these problems?

What kind of regular maintaince should I be doing?
What are the weaknesses and problematic areas I should I be looking for?

Current codes:
P0101
P0380
P0401
P0463
P0540
P1404
P2227

Thanks in advance!
Glad to be here!

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Shits broke

Check your oil see if it has fuel in it. Your maf sensor probably just needs to be cleaned if it’s an oiled air filter, that’s the p0101

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 04-07-2018, 11:06 AM
DirtyMax

Thanks for the tip.
I'm most concerned about the low oil pressure, I don't even want to start it...

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

To the op not sure how the previous owner took care of the truck but the usual start would be to start simple. change fuel filter a must (lb7), front and rear differential fluid if applicable, tranfer case fluid if applicable, transfer case pump rub kit, pressure test cooling system or look for leaks water pump weep hole if none present level sensor could be skewed and need replacement. Might want to flush cooling system and fill with fresh dexcool and distilled water basically bring all fluids new life, a general search of the codes on Google will give you a pretty code answer to what they could or might be or at least a start. P0101 could be air filter, skewed maf sensor, or debris on the sensor, clean it and re-evaluate it also check the driver side intercooler pipe for possible rub through holes on brake lines or power steering lines common boost leaks on older lb7's. a Lbz driver side factory ic pipe will work if on a budget from a scrap yard make sure to get the straight coupler so it'll bolt right up. There's a start let us know what you find so as to better help you diagnose the problems.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Hotrodder

P0380 is for the glow plugs.
P0540 is for the intake air heater

May have a bad glowplug control module as it does both. Check the 175 amp fuse to make sure it has power. A few codes are egr codes, you can delete the egr.
09 lmm ccsb ltz, ATP tuning, mpi s480 over stocker, big dipper trans, 60 overs, 10mm stroker pump, ppe up pipes and manifold, banks intercooler & exhaust, airdog165, isspro guages, traction bars, the list goes on
01 lb7 red RC/LB 11.58@119 MPH, SOLD
01 lb7 Black CC/LB, SOLD
Old 04-07-2018, 11:36 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

The oil pressure issue is it knocking anormally or any unusual sounds? Check oil level as mentioned see if oil level is low or making oil which leads to leaking injectors filling crankcase with fuel hopefully not the case if the level looks good either the stepper motor in the cluster as gone array or the eop sensor is skewed 03-06 had problematic cluster stepper motors if you have access to a scan tool check oil pressure via the scan tool if not invest in a oil filter housing adapter to check pressure and 100 psi gauge and manually check the oil pressure to rule out the sensor or stepper motor. Also check the lower oil pan and make sure it is not leaking If leaking replace the lower oil pan gasket just silicone while there check pick and make sure no debris present causing oil starvation and the low oil pressure concern just thing to check.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Moved into the LB7 section.

Get a subscription to AlldataDIY and get to work.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
DirtyMax

I checked the EOP with an Edge CS. It goes down to 6-7 psi at idle.... thats pretty low. Scares me!
Its my 1st diesel and they are noisey engines to begin with... but I dont think I hear an abnormal knock tho. Is it safe to idle with 6 psi?

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Hotrodder

Like others had said. Make sure it's not making oil. First thing I would do is change the oil. Takes 2.5 gallons. See what it does. Maybe leave it a quart low. See if your making oil. The lb7 return lines are under the valve covers. Could have diesel mixing with oil. And yes oil pressure will drop. Mine runs around 15 hot and idle.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 AM
DirtyMax

I'm not sure what "making oil" means... The oil was just changed before I got it. It looks clean, doesnt smell like fuel, and has the proper amount in it. The tuner says oil life is at 97%.
Low oil pressure is one thing, but 6 psi with the dash dinging like crazy is a little different... to me at least. should I not be concerned with the warning sounds??

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Hotrodder

Lb7 has the injectors and return lines under the valve covers so therefore if there is a fuel leak it will go into the crankcase and increase the oil level = making oil

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
LBZ & 4x4 Conversion in progress...
Turned into a frame off restomod
Old 04-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Hotrodder

As for oil pressure you need to put a mechanical gauge on the engine somewhere and verify that it's matching what the dash says. Otherwise it could be a faulty stepper motor for the oil pressure gauge or bad sending unit.

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
Old 04-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
The oil pressure issue is it knocking anormally or any unusual sounds? Check oil level as mentioned see if oil level is low or making oil which leads to leaking injectors filling crankcase with fuel hopefully not the case if the level looks good either the stepper motor in the cluster as gone array or the eop sensor is skewed 03-06 had problematic cluster stepper motors if you have access to a scan tool check oil pressure via the scan tool if not invest in a oil filter housing adapter to check pressure and 100 psi gauge and manually check the oil pressure to rule out the sensor or stepper motor. Also check the lower oil pan and make sure it is not leaking If leaking replace the lower oil pan gasket just silicone while there check pick and make sure no debris present causing oil starvation and the low oil pressure concern just thing to check.

Dude, there's some good info in here but you have got to start using punctuation or nobody is going to read your posts.

LBZ CCSB 4x4
EFI Live
RDL Y-bridge
166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 AM
DirtyMax

What is a good oil for an LB7 with 135k on it?

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

I hate to be "that guy" -- but the search function works pretty dang good here. Try to do that first, as everything you are asking has been covered a hundred times before....

Look in the Maintenance and Fluids section for your oil question. http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56857

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"