166,000 miles
Sold

2003 C&C lb7/zf6
275,000 miles
LBZ & 4x4 Conversion in progress...
Turned into a frame off restomod
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Daggum farm truck

Injectors Direct refurbished injectors are basically core injectors that they have tested to be OK injectors for now. They are not new or even remanufactured injectors. They are literally old, used injectors. If you're comfortable buying and installing old, used injectors in your truck, you may have luck, and you may be replacing them sooner rather than later.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Hotrodder

Good luck..... When you spend a whole weekend tearing it down then have to do it again in 3 months you will figure out why people are telling you what they are telling you. I'm not "friends" with brent. I'm not too smart a guy but I'm smart enough to know when the Duramax guru's on here tell me to buy good quality injectors and do it right the first time, well... that's what i did.

I went cheap and bought a FPR on amazon for $80. Damn thing lasted 2 weeks before I had to tear it all down and get a quality (expensive) one.

And remember nobody likes an askhole.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe420 View Post
I understand you get what you pay for, but most stuff in this country (and others) is just simply overpriced! Wheither it's from an expensive company with a name that everyone trusts or an unknown company, everything is overpriced these days... Especially diesel stuff. Like, I can get ARP head studs for a Mustang 5.0 for like $100, ARP studs for a Duramax is like $600... WHY?? Does it take $500 more in matierials? Doubt it. Does it take $500 more in the process to make them, doubt it... They are just overpriced because it's for a diesel! It's marketing and crappy capitalism! No need to be overpriced, other than the fact that they can!
I try not to be cheap with most of my stuff, but paying double is just dumb!
I found a place called InjectorsDirect.com and they sell sets of 8 for $800 or sets of 4 for $450. They are refurbished OEM Bosch injectors. They come with a 1-year/unlimited mile warranty. They are tested and guaranteed to be in factory specs... How bad can they be?? I tried to look up bad reviews on them, but haven't found anything...

I know everybody on here is friends with Brent from LDS and I'm sure he's a good guy and the business is great and they are a sponsor on here (and I dont want to be a traitor)... but they sell sets of 8 for $2k and that price difference, means the world!

If the leak was just a return line, that would be good news for me, but I have the worst luck and hardly ever catch a break... so I'm not counting on that, I'm expecting the worst situation, as usual.
Someone I know was watching the injector rates on the Edge CS and said #7 looked funky... Idk what that means...

What I would like to do soon is pull the valve cover off and try to see whats really going on in there.
your ignorance is very clear here. why dont you count the number of head studs in a duramax vs a mustang, the size difference, and the torque rating between them. Not to mention the amount of mustang engines out there vs the dmax. supply and demand. Terrible comparison as to why one is more than the other

Josh stated exactly why they are cheap junk. Your not "catching a break" on this issue because you put yourself in the situation going against what everyone here is stating. You think we recommend LDS because they are a vendor? let me explain this board a bit to you. We dont just let ANY vendor join here. Vendors are given a hard look over on being aloud to sell here and must carry a reputation to back. Brent and the guys at LDS offer injectors at the some of the best prices/quality and i say this because i and MANY others have bought through them with great service and reliability. Its after reading these types of things on the board that we ok the vendor. Not a person here is stuck to a vendor or gets paid to bump their recommendation to you. we see someone turning south and not fixing their business, we will quickly voice that info and reevaluate.

Now quit griping about the price and start looking at the "why". The diesel industry is full of people trying to rip people off. its terrible but this is a young performance industry and at the end of the day, the customer is the one who suffers. Alot of us here have been through the ringer or know who to stay away from. If you choose to not listen to our advice after asking for help, you will quickly see how little help comes along
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe420 View Post
I donít think this has been explained to you in the thread. If you replace it with factory style LB7 injectors It isnít a question of if you will be replacing them again. Itís a question of when you will be replacing them again. Your best bet is to go with the set of SAC style LB7 injectors.
diamond eye down pipe
bd manifold
airdog 150
custom 5in pipe to 6in powdercoated stack
fleece sc stage 4 . thanks again brayden

team borrowed time member #8
cedarfalls raceway- sep/27/09 12.63@107mph

2016 2500HD z71: all stock except rims and tires
2006 Volkswagen Jetta tdi
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 AM
~

These guys are exactly right. I replaced all 8 injectors in my LB7 without having done it before. I was originally shocked by the $2,000 price tag on injectors too. I will tell you this....... It took me a long time to do my injectors only working on it a couple hours here and there and taking my time. If you use questionable injectors the first time and have to do it again (I literally have heard of them failing within months) you will be wishing that you spent the $2,000 the first time. Even besides having to do all that work over again, you will be smart enough to buy quality injectors the second time and at that point you will have spent $2800 total. Also, if you go the OEM Bosch route it is worth the money to throw on a lift pump for better filtration.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM
<thatís not me...

Sell the truck and hope you get what you paid for it to someone who actually knows what they’re getting into. No offense here but if you’re complaining about the price of lb7 injectors you don’t need to own a Diesel. In the duramax world those are the cheapest injectors to upgrade and powerstrokes or cummins aren’t any cheaper. You bought a piece of junk. Take the advice to see what you can do with the dealer. If nothing, don’t keep posting on here about this and that till you actually go pull your valve cover and look at what you’ve got. Heck you don’t even have to do that. Find a good scan tool and give up some balance rates. When you tear the top end off to put injectors in twice cause you cheaped out on injectors the first time and basically bought $850 cores, you’ll be wishing you listened. Not trying to sound like an ass just coming from first hand experience.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s.
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250

Last edited by zakkb787; 04-16-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Hotrodder

zakk and chevy1925 said It perfect.

quit shopping for injectors and put some damn wrenches on that truck or talk to the dealer. Your worried about injectors but you probably only have a simple return line fitting leaking. Take the anti spin clips off and see if the high pressure lines are even tight
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
Sell the truck and hope you get what you paid for it to someone who actually knows what theyíre getting into. No offense here but if youíre complaining about the price of lb7 injectors you donít need to own a Diesel. In the duramax work those are the cheapest injectors to upgrade and powerstrokes or cummins arenít any cheaper. You bought a piece of junk. Take the advice to see what you can do with the dealer. If nothing, donít keep posting on here about this and that till you actually go pull your valve cover and look at what youíve got. Heck you donít even have to do that. Find a good scan tool and give up some balance rates. When you tear the top end off to put injectors in twice cause you cheaped out on injectors the first time and basically bought $850 cores, youíll be wishing you listened. Not trying to sound like an ass just coming from first hand experience.
Boom. Buy a 1500 or a 2500 gasser.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Finally got my 1st diesel... where do I start?

If you are just shopping around and pricing stuff out thatís fair. Worst case price checking isnít a terrible idea. Yes the price is shocking but it is what it is. You get what you pay for. If your just looking to fix and dump it then I guess itís your call on how much you want to spend.

But you need to at least start by checking the easy stuff as mentioned on here. If youíre not going to do that then just sell it and buy something with warranty or a gasser. Throwing parts at it will get very expensive very quickly.

I would suggest getting a manual to start with or access to the testing procedures to rule out the variables and define the cause of your fuel leak or leaks. There are some tutorials on here for checks you can do if you search.

Going by what you have posted, you are far from knowing what the problem is. You are at the point IMO where you can start troubleshooting. I would not run it anymore except to test.

You said someone told you #7 injector ďlooks funkyĒ. That doesnít give us or you anything to go on. Numbers are needed.

Weíve already told you the most common leak points so start there. Pop the covers and fire it up. It could be a loose injector HP line or a cracked one, loose or cracked return line. These will be your cheapest and easiest fixes. Anything else will be costly and time consuming to fix. Anything from a cracked injector body, stuck open injector, or a seal on the front of the cp3 could all be alternate leak sources.

So donít be an askhole as previously said. Weíve all given you solid advice. I suggest following it if you want this truck fixed. Some of us have been wrenching on them since 2001.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:41 PM
DirtyMax

WOW! Some of you sound like a bunch of freaking Nazis (no offense)! But you guys are like pissed off at me for not just blindly throwing thousands of dollars at your favorite place!! All I wanted was a few options to weigh in a free market... I dont think anybody even mentioned anything besides LDS. I understand that alot of you guys like them and they have good products, but I like options and I'm not rich so I try to save money when/where I can. I know doing the same job twice will cost more in the end, but I like to shop around before I buy stuff too. Why is that a horrible thing to do? I never heard anything about ID.com and I was trying to do research on them, but didnt find anything bad, until I asked here... then you guys are freaking out about it.
Also, I have been thinking about fixing the truck and just selling it, so cheaper stuff isn't out of the question if I can save myself a grand. Just like LDS isn't out of the question either, I just wanted options, not to be pushed into everyone else's favorite place.
Sorry for the rant, but it was more like an observation. Just about everything we need and want is overpriced, so that's why I like to shop around. If the Dmax has twice as many studs and are twice as big, why aren't they only twice as much $..... that's all Im saying. It is what it is, I get it.
If I had it all figured out, I wouldn't be here asking questions. So you don't need to be sarcastic. Man wasn't created equal... Sorry Im not on your level!
I didnt know that InjectorDirect sold cores that just tested out ok, thanks for letting me know that detail! They might actually be a good option tho if I fix the truck to just get rid of it. Altho, I dont really like the sound of someone else's old parts... What I'd really like to have is an LBZ with leather and a sunroof, and dvd for the kids.... maybe just a center consol to stick all my random crap...
I came on this site to talk to Dmax gurus, I just didnt realize it was like an LDS cult lol.
It's not that I'm just "going against everyone", I just like different points of views and options. I can't believe there's not another place on the whole planet that some of you guys have gotten injectors from and been happy with... Getting drug thru the ringer is what I'm trying to not do! So are you saying that if I don't like you're flavor of cool-aid, I'm just not aloud to have any cool-aid?? Damn!
Whats wrong with the factory style injectors and how are the SACs different?
If I get SAC style injectors, do I still need a lift pump? Can I put SACs on one side of the engine and run OEM on the other?
I'm pretty sure I'm aloud to complain about any price I'm not happy with, it's still a free country, kinda... that doesn't mean I'm not aloud to own a diesel truck! Only rich people who can afford $500 lugnuts and diesel mechanics who know everything are aloud to own a diesel truck?? I don't want a 1500 gasser or I would have gotten another one, I've had 10 of them already! You think a Hemi is cheap to fix? NO! Maybe compared to a diesel, but everything is still expensive none the less. I'm just trying to survive this world without being drug thru the ringer.
I dont want a 1500 to pull a camper 1,000 miles and firewood every winter and my race car every summer.... so that suggestion is total trash! Maybe I shouldn't be aloud to have anything other than an 86 Mazda B2200...
I already mentioned that someone else looked at the balance rates and said there was something going on with #7. I'm not a diesel mechanic, so I dont know exactly what those numbers mean. Nobody on here asked what the numbers were or asked to see a video of it when its running...nothing on that subject... (not that I saw anyways). When get a chance I will post that info. Are the balance rates at idle speed or driving speed? I hope it is just a HP line, but someone else said something about #7, that's why Im thinking injectors... maybe it doesn't need injectors at all, that would be awesome!
Here's another question, probably too dumb for some of you's, but, if I only have 1 bad injector, do I really want to drop 2 grand on 8 new ones? Can I get away with only buying 4 to replace that side of the engine while it's already apart? If I was rich I wouldnt care, but if I was rich I'd just be buying a brand new truck with a warranty anyways....
Shopping around and troubleshooting IS all I'm doing right now, and I'm getting chewed out for it! I know some of you's have 20 yrs experience and I have about 20 minutes... that doesn't mean I should just buy a gasser or be bullied into buying the parts you guys would buy for your truck. I like a list of options and reasons why, so I can make the best choice for myself, based on all info. That's just how I like to do things!

Lastly, but not least, I do want to thank you guys for your input, I do appreciate the advice and suggestions, since I'm kind of walking around blindfolded. I'm new to the diesel world, but I wasn't born yesterday. I might not know my way around here, but I'm not an idiot. I've been thru the "ringer" before and I'm not that big of a fan of it... I just get turned off when everyone is saying BUY THIS BUY THIS or good luck newbie **** off...
And I don't know what an askhole is, is that the politically correct internet way of calling me an asshole because I ask questions about things I dont know?

Thank You Mr. Trump!
God Bless America <3

Last edited by MolonLabe420; 04-17-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

This is for-the-most-part a Duramax performance board. The guys who are regulars here are some of the most knowledgeable people you are ever going to get advice from for these trucks. I have a lot of respect for them.
But for some reason, you dont want to listen to us and are even arguing our motives while we're trying to help you. That's ok, thats your right. Its wrong, though.
But you're starting to make me think you are a troll, just here to cause trouble.

For what you want to do, SAC injectors would not be a good idea. You must have different tuning to run them, as they are a different design than "normal" LB7 injectors. Thats far outside your knowledge and ability range so its not a good idea.

I would've also recommend Exergy or even a GM dealer for regular old LB7 injectors, but their prices are even higher than LDS. Trying to save you money and time, but that doesnt seem to be what you want to hear.

So go ahead, buy from ID.com. Hell, buy them from Peninsula Diesel or Diesel Logic if you want to "save money". Do what you want. Dont listen. Pay twice. Throw more of your limited resources down the drain.

We tried. You dont really want our help. So Good Luck. Get a good scanner, bring out the wrenches and start doing some actual work on the truck instead of guessing. Find a good diesel mechanic to help you. Its probably something simple, like the guys have said, but you've completely glossed over their recommendations of where to start in favor of arguing.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- stalled out, no motivation
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"

Last edited by TheBac; 04-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM
<thatís not me...

Had a long ass response typed out and lost it. So here it is in short. Nobody gets anything from recommending LDS. Fact is they’re recommended for a reason. No to SAC. Yes you can replace one side of you know the bad injector or injectors are ONLY from that side. We need to see some action not just talk. So far we have not seen any balance rates or wrench turning. And a mechanic saying 7 is funky means nothing to any of us without more evidence.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s.
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Hotrodder

Ok. I'm going to be the asshole here. Your an idiot. Don't buy from lds. Idk. Go price gm injectors at 400 a pop. And there the same thing. You probably don't even need them. You found some idiot that said "hmmm 7 looks funny" hahahah.

And your first sentence on the last post proves it. Your a troll. NO ONE mentioned injectors until you was shopping. If your for reall. You need to reread this whole thread dumbass. I bet for 30 bucks your problems could be solved.

You havnt done a damn thing that good smart people have mentioned. So quit asking questions

Last edited by duramax on fire; 04-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Hotrodder

This thread is full of all kinds of win