Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
mrelite1987gmc

Default 2005 gmc sierra 2500hd. Top end rattle inquiry.

Bought a 2005 sierra 2500hd. In love already. But im curious to know. At 2500 rpm cruising at 80 mph. Theres a sleight tap or rattle that comes and goes. Im happy bit concerned a bit.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Hotrodder

You need to tell everything you know about this truck , mi ,eng work, inj replacement, wheel bearings, bug shield, yes bug shield my truck drove me crazy for years with a buzz rattle till I had someone drive while I leaned out the pass window and put small slivers of wood under plastic molding on side of windshield , then removed bug shield that was causing wind to hit windshield at just just the right angle to cause buzz rattle. Good luck!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
You need to tell everything you know about this truck , mi ,eng work, inj replacement, wheel bearings, bug shield, yes bug shield my truck drove me crazy for years with a buzz rattle till I had someone drive while I leaned out the pass window and put small slivers of wood under plastic molding on side of windshield , then removed bug shield that was causing wind to hit windshield at just just the right angle to cause buzz rattle. Good luck!
Haha thats like me I got something rattling around too. Pisses me off I need to do that I think my wheel well on passenger side is loose from doing the fuel filter when it was stock. Idk. I have a extended cab and the doors squeak just enough to make you want to shoot yourself when it's a long car ride. Not sure how to remedy that.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrelite1987gmc View Post
Bought a 2005 sierra 2500hd. In love already. But im curious to know. At 2500 rpm cruising at 80 mph. Theres a sleight tap or rattle that comes and goes. Im happy bit concerned a bit.
The windshield valance/bug guard likes to come loose at the corners and rattle against the windshield. Some 3m tape on the corners will stop it.

Or your hearing pilot injection turning off and on... I had a strange engine rattle that came and went at those same speeds and took it to the dealer as the truck was brand new, they told me pilot injection. Trucks been tuned for years and hasn't made those noises since.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 AM
mrelite1987gmc

thanks guys
Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Or your hearing pilot injection turning off and on... I had a strange engine rattle that came and went at those same speeds and took it to the dealer as the truck was brand new, they told me pilot injection. Trucks been tuned for years and hasn't made those noises since.
This is what is happening. The stock tune turns pilot injection off above 2500 RPM. Odds are at 80 MPH, you are just flirting with the on/off point. It won't hurt anything, but if it bothers you, a tune will take care of it. Just tell your tuner you want pilot injection enabled to 2600 RPM or so, which will get you away from the turn-off point.