Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Hotrodder

I would also look at what engine is more plentiful. How many are on the roads.now. That way if you need parts you can salvage them off of abandoned vehicles
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM
FNG

I really appreciate all the answers. I have to say that I am currently in Europe. This means, that the Silverado is an imported car, because the largest sold pickup truck in Europe is the Ford Ranger. The Silverado, F150 or RAM are imported trucks. Why did I select an American pickup truck? They are big, with a big reliable engine, with a high-volume load capacity and with a body on frame construction. The cars, SUVs and even vans in Europe are mainly unibody design, that I donīt like and it is a bit worse in a scenario where you have some collisions (not easy reparations). The engines are also small (2.5 or 3.0l as much) and very over demanded, so the life time of these engines are lower, even half, than the life time of American engines. In addition, swap an engine in Europe is complicated and expensive. First, the best way is buy other truck with your selected engine. However, if the new engine is 15% more or less powerful or gives 20% more or less torque, you have to homologate the swap, because it is considered a mayor modification. The homologation consists in an engineer checking the truck and making some test. To satisfies the requirements, it is very probable that you will need to swap not only the engine, but also the transmission, the differentials, and practically 100% sure, the suspension and breaks. Apart, the modification has to be done by a homologated technician, which increases the price even more with respect to a standard mechanics. Therefore, swap the engines are really expensive.

I am surprised that there is not kit for the conversion, I found a kit for the Ford PowerStroke engine. I read something to adapt the mechanical injector of the GM 6.5 diesel in the Duramax, but I donīt know if it is possible. Other option is look some old sivererado with the 6.2 or 6.5 engines. However, in Europe the offer is reduced and the prices higher than in US and import a truck is also very expensive. I prefer a Silverado, but I guess that if I want to make a conversion to mechanical engine, I will need a F150 or a RAM with the Cummins, at least that I can install the mechanical injector of a 6.5L diesel engine.

Anyway, if somebody know or indicate me what are the modifications (at least in a general way) that I have to do to convert the Duramax in a mechanical injected diesel engine, I appreciate that you indicate me to make me an idea of what it is the needed work in the engine.

On the other hand, the injector and fuel pump are the only electronic controlled parts in the Duramax, or there are some parts that I forgot?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Hotrodder

Wouldn't it be more practical, not that it would be easy by any means, to just harden the electrical system by wrapping all exposed wires with foil tape?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM
FNG

Shield an electronic circuit is very difficult. The study that you cited is a study of the EMP Commission Critical National Infrastructures Report that was performed around 2000. The study is partially classified, and I think that the conclusions that they published are the one associated with the E3 in solar storms, not the other pulses presented in a HEMP. Both are electromagnetic phenomenas, but the HEMP (high-altitude electromagnetic pulse) presents differences with the solar storms. The HEMP is in reality 3 different pulses, classified as E1, E2, E3. The E1 and E2 are the shorter in duration and higher in frequency and intensity than the E3. The E1 and E2 are the responsible for the destruction of electronic and some electric components, while the E3 is the one that appears in both, HEMP and solar storm, and has a bigger interaction with problems or destruction of electric net. The unique way to make a shield is creating a Faraday cage that doesnīt present holes bigger than the wavelength of the electromagnetic pulse. The problem is the input/output cables that can transmit the pulse inside the cage and then it is even worse, because the pulse will be confined in the cage, and can create a larger damage. Although I can have some electronics, I have to keep spare parts in a Faraday cage, so as more electronic component, more parts can be damage and more spare parts have to be keep safe and change in the event of a HEMP. This is the main reason why I am looking for a diesel engine, that can be pure mechanical as a difference with a gas engine, as it is the case with the old 6.2 and 6.5l diesel engines. However, as the truck will have a dual use, I need something a bit newer, and that it is the main reason because I want to modify a Duramax engine.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Heavy & Slow

The Duramax has a lot of sensors to make the fuel injection system work right, but at the end of the day, the only part that has to be controlled by a computer is the injectors. The fuel pump will work with the harness unplugged, but will have much shorter life.

If you wanted to make the Duramax mechanical, you would need to remove the CP3 (fuel pump) and add a mechanical pump of some kind. You might need to make a custom cam inside the pump, or run it off a chain/belt to get the timing right. Finally, you would need to find/make some poppet injectors to work with the mechanical pump. Not to mention all the lines to connect everything.

Odds are the kits for the PowerStroke you saw were simply retrofitting the mechanical injection setup that was stock on the 6.9L to the 7.3L. I saw one kit did a P-Pump conversion, but it cost a ridiculous amount of money, and was still for the 7.3, which could use the 6.9 setup for cheap.

If your concern is cost, I think converting a Duramax to mechanical will cost more than paying the homologation to swap in an existing mechanical diesel. I would expect to pay $10,000 US or more just for parts, assuming you do all the engineering and labor yourself.

For $10k, I will ship you a 1982 Chevy C10 with the 6.2L diesel, the cable conversion (removes the electric kill switch for a cable), and a couple spare engines, just in case.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Always learning

Can't you find toyotas pretty easily over there?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1981-Toyota-A...-/192308573608

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Somebody needs to up their meds...
2015 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 20's/35's Deleted Airdog ETC. Sold...
2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's >I officially need help.
2010 1500 RCSB Denali clone <Lifted 22's/33's, 5.3, 6L80, TVS1900, etc ...
Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROJAN366 View Post
Ii would suggest saving your money for tin foil helmets.

This

I can't believe this is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless