Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Rod shortning in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
I love box on the front porch. My neighbor's get a little upset about it though....
They are just jealous!

Moonshine | s475 | Suncoast | Airdog | Studs | Braces | Sleeves | Traction bars |
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Every brick and mortar store out there has the opportunity to sell through Amazon, and the ones that do actually make a pretty decent profit of selling in bulk through amazon
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Port/polished/wetzel turbo by Yellowchevy
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Hotrodder

The Amazon building I'm currently at is going to be strictly clothing/apparel and will employ 2500+ people. They are working on another building just for the amount of returns that will come with clothing. My opinion is biased because I work for them but I've never worked for a better company as far as pay/benefits and opportunity for advancement. So as they help put "brick and mortar" stores out of business they generate a tremendous amount of jobs not only in the warehouse but to support the warehouses as well.
Full delete, EFI by Ridgerunner, 5" FloPro, Profab manifolds, Profab up pipes, Wehrli cp3 conversion, Wehrli 3" downpipe, S&B intake, AD 165 4G, DHD tie rod sleeves, 2" rear drop shackles, Rancho RS9000XL
Old 09-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Hotrodder

I don't think brick and mortar stores will go away if they know their market and cater to it well. I don't care for amazon really. When I don't need something right now and don't have time to go to multiple stores to find something I really want is the only time I use them. They are nice for gifts for people that live out of town too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Yes, they are....and not all of it is for the good. We will be hearing about store closings and company bankruptcies in the next couple years. I figure Sears will be first to go, then JCP......

Toys r us just filed for bankruptcy...
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

To complete my earlier thought:

I think Macy's and Kohl's (definitely) will weather whatever Amazon throws at them b/c they have a well-received net presence with their customers. That's carrying their stores.

As to this:
Quote:
So as they help put "brick and mortar" stores out of business they generate a tremendous amount of jobs not only in the warehouse but to support the warehouses as well.
I have to ask, how much do those warehouse and support jobs pay? Same/better than the jobs that are lost, or less? Benefits? (this would be a huge plus)

I hear Michigan is in prime position to land the new Amazon HQ. They claim 50,000 jobs (which I think is a bit optimistic), but even if its half that, this state could really use that kind of good news.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 09-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Hotrodder

They're making another headquarters somewhere in the US and said it will be 10's of thousands of jobs most of which are 6 figure jobs. I pay less than$60 month for medical,dental,vision etc and it's great insurance and is available to every employee. Entry level no experience warehouse work is $12.50 (AZ min wage $10). Having education obviously gets you a better position/pay and the opportunities for promotions are endless. Support roles as far as office work and logistics and stuff not dealing with putting an item in a box starts at like 45k. Wherever they put their new HQ it will thrive. The amount of discounts and programs for employees directly impacts the community because it's for entertainment and food and lifestyle things.

I can rant forever but the company I work for treats me very well and pays me very well. Maybe it's not for everyone but you should definitely enjoy your job, I do.
Full delete, EFI by Ridgerunner, 5" FloPro, Profab manifolds, Profab up pipes, Wehrli cp3 conversion, Wehrli 3" downpipe, S&B intake, AD 165 4G, DHD tie rod sleeves, 2" rear drop shackles, Rancho RS9000XL
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM
I like turtles

Until they enforce taxs on online purchase we will keep seeing stores close like crazy. As a business owner it makes it a pain in the ass. Customer service only goes so far when you have to charge 7.25% tax and meet map pricing.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Thanks AZ. It looks like there are possibilities for people if they lose their "brick and mortar" job.
We'll see what happens with the HQ. Michigan could use the job opportunities.

NE, yes you are correct on taxes. But what's the answer to that? The Feds would have to get involved with new law, wouldnt they?

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 09-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

I worked for an Amazon warehouse one summer during college. I hated it. I try not to buy anything from them.

They treated every employee like they were an idiot (catered to the lowest common denominator), "safety" was preached so much that it hindered your job (I was stopped in the middle of my job many times and asked to show "proper lifting" and stupid shit not pertaining to my job... but they couldn't provide me with extended forks for oversize skids, I was told to use the small forks and drag it, yeah because that's safe (they eventually ordered forks)), yet the only thing they really cared about was their inventory (as was evidenced by the fact metal detectors were only used on the exits... anybody could get in and cause harm to employees if they wanted but every employee had to file through the detectors like cattle four times/day so you couldn't take their merchandise out). Then I got told I had to take my 15 minute break in the lunch room (which was 5 minutes of walking to the metal detector, 5 minutes of break, and 5 minutes to be back on the floor. I told them where they could put that idea.

Needless to say, it wasn't for me.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM
It's actually Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Addict View Post
I worked for an Amazon warehouse one summer during college. I hated it. I try not to buy anything from them.

They treated every employee like they were an idiot (catered to the lowest common denominator), "safety" was preached so much that it hindered your job (I was stopped in the middle of my job many times and asked to show "proper lifting" and stupid shit not pertaining to my job... but they couldn't provide me with extended forks for oversize skids, I was told to use the small forks and drag it, yeah because that's safe (they eventually ordered forks)), yet the only thing they really cared about was their inventory (as was evidenced by the fact metal detectors were only used on the exits... anybody could get in and cause harm to employees if they wanted but every employee had to file through the detectors like cattle four times/day so you couldn't take their merchandise out). Then I got told I had to take my 15 minute break in the lunch room (which was 5 minutes of walking to the metal detector, 5 minutes of break, and 5 minutes to be back on the floor. I told them where they could put that idea.

Sounds pretty typical to me. I'd say 99% of the crap treatment and safety overload came from stupid employees stealing constantly like the dirt bags humans have came to be. As well as someone hurting their back or something and suing the crap out of the company for their own stupidity. For each effect there is a cause.
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Trimmed and lowered on Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Addict View Post

Just remember it wasn't for you, but it's perfect for some uneducated people with no goals and no ambition that need to be herded like cattle and watched closely. It's no job that anyone aspires to do it's like flipping burgers at McDonald's... Nobody wants to do it but somebody has to.

No how on Earth did T-Swift being on a ups truck have anything to do with Amazon, how did this thread get so derailed...
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Its just another money grab by people who have no idea what being a "UPSer" truly is. Its not like a company that nets $6B a year needs more, does it?

I am going to get so fired for this.....

From mufflerguy on yb,
Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Its just another money grab by people who have no idea what being a "UPSer" truly is. Its not like a company that nets $6B a year needs more, does it?

I am going to get so fired for this.....
In no way do I mean this in a bad way but you are too low for them to even worry about, you wouldn't be on their corporate radar haha

All in all I'm sad to see ups became a sellout.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 PM

You'd be surprised, Sean....

None of you know me, ok? So if you happen to get a PM asking who I really am....

( I laugh, but I know its happened before to other people)

From mufflerguy on yb,