Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Default Lb7 no start story

Driving home on Friday my truck died, quickly cracked open water separator to see if I had fuel at the Airdog. Nothing came out, figured my fuel gauge went bad and I had an empty tank. Got fuel but no luck, had it towed home and dropped tank and it was between empty and 1/4. Water separator has rust in it, never in my 7 years with this lift pump on have I ever gotten any water out of it and I check it fairly regularly.

So I guess I need a water separator at minimum, pump sounds so-so but it's held up great without a single issue all these 7 years, it's an AD165.

If the water separator doesn't fix it then it's probably the pump so I'll get it warrantied and I figure I'll add a sump and a new feed line from the pump all the way to the cp3. From the factory there are some pretty ****ed up lines, a return was actually sandwiched between the frame and tank and practically crushed flat. I know it's factory because I have the vehicles entire GM service history and I bought it only 190 miles after it's last visit to the dealer.

Anything else I should do while the tank is out and I have the truck apart. I've had a p0089 for a good while figured all new fuel lines was in order. I know it needs a cp3 and regulator i got a pretty sweet fuel lope at idle and data logs show it's out of fuel by the 1/8th mile on a 1/4 pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20170916_213128.jpg (50.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg rps20170916_213104.jpg (71.0 KB, 56 views)
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Port/polished/wetzel turbo by Yellowchevy
Old 09-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Hotrodder

I have a 165 as well and I warranties a new pump a year ago. Great service, and the pump works great. No I had a recent issue will oem fuel lines collapsing so I ordered more fuel line from pure flow and I cut out all the quick disconnect fittings and used clamps. All new 1/2 line then the return line between the hard lines up by the firewall on the driverside was collapsed. So I did that to with some line I got from auto supply. Kind of just a peace of mind. On another note, the reason I replaced the return was I had a cascading fuel rail pressure. First I thought it was the fprv, it wasn't, the hardline tuning to the back of the block that was a return line was broken and priced together with fuel Line. That wasn't it either, long story short I found two kinks in the soft line and that was causing it. Got all new stainless lines from merchant and hose from pure flow.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 AM
It's actually Zach

You could do a billet pickup while you're in there
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Trimmed and lowered on Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 09-17-2017, 09:54 AM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashton1206 View Post
I have a 165 as well and I warranties a new pump a year ago. Great service, and the pump works great. No I had a recent issue will oem fuel lines collapsing so I ordered more fuel line from pure flow and I cut out all the quick disconnect fittings and used clamps. All new 1/2 line then the return line between the hard lines up by the firewall on the driverside was collapsed. So I did that to with some line I got from auto supply. Kind of just a peace of mind. On another note, the reason I replaced the return was I had a cascading fuel rail pressure. First I thought it was the fprv, it wasn't, the hardline tuning to the back of the block that was a return line was broken and priced together with fuel Line. That wasn't it either, long story short I found two kinks in the soft line and that was causing it. Got all new stainless lines from merchant and hose from pure flow.
Yeah I'm going to run a new feed line for sure I've found a few rubber flex sections that are questionable at best since I've dropped the tank. Found a slightly linked hard line too so I'll prob just eliminate all of the hard lines completely.
Efi Live, MikeL trans/R converter, 5" Magnaflow, 3" Magnaflow DP, 4" CAI, ADII 165, BT box, RDL intake horn, Manifolds/uppipes, 3" MBRP boost tubes, Rancho 9000's, RareParts tierods, DHD Brace, 4/6 drop, 60" traction bars, LML 20's/420's
Old 09-17-2017, 09:55 AM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
You could do a billet pickup while you're in there
I'm going to do a sump since the tank is empty and out
Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Replaced water separator, I'm getting fuel up to the disconnect up at the firewall by the gpcm, not getting fuel to the cp3 or the cp3 took a shit and won't make rail. FML
Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Aircraft Mechanic's Hero

Have you checked fuses and the edu/ign 1 relay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2004 LB7 2500HD 4X4 CCSB
Mods: LDS 63.5mm turbo, 45% SAC injectors, Built Allison, Mishimoto IC piping, EFI Live, Modded stock intake, Modded intake horn, Intake heater Deleted, Water separator/10 micron/Lift Pump, CAT Filter, 3" down pipe, MBRP 4", Incognito tie rods, High Idle, MA pump rub kit

Tunes by Idaho Rob
Trans Kit from Evan @ Limitless Diesel
Old 09-20-2017, 05:38 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRein View Post
Have you checked fuses and the edu/ign 1 relay?

Yeah, I got a blown 40a fuse but it's for trailering shit
Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Aircraft Mechanic's Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
Yeah, I got a blown 40a fuse but it's for trailering shit
Are you sure?

The 40s on my 04 are ign(s) and blower

2004 LB7 2500HD 4X4 CCSB
Mods: LDS 63.5mm turbo, 45% SAC injectors, Built Allison, Mishimoto IC piping, EFI Live, Modded stock intake, Modded intake horn, Intake heater Deleted, Water separator/10 micron/Lift Pump, CAT Filter, 3" down pipe, MBRP 4", Incognito tie rods, High Idle, MA pump rub kit

Tunes by Idaho Rob
Trans Kit from Evan @ Limitless Diesel
Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Stud #1 is trailer wiring, I should have mentioned that was the one it was

Also my fuse box is completely different, complete wiring changes in 03
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Honestly, it sounds like your CP3 died.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Honestly, it sounds like your CP3 died.
That's what I was hoping and not hoping, I've had a p0089 for about a year but you know how that goes it could be basically anything in the fuel system.

I did get a few surges over the past few months maybe once every 2 weeks it would randomly drop off and about 2 seconds later I'd get fuel again

The question is how do I test do determine if it's the cp3 or regulator obviously if it's the cp3 I'll do both but neither are in the budget

Fwiw the cts won't read any rail or any other pressures on an 02 or atleast mine
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Just a thought, but could the gearpump on the back of the CP3 have gone bad? Is that even possible?

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM
It's actually Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
That's what I was hoping and not hoping, I've had a p0089 for about a year but you know how that goes it could be basically anything in the fuel system.

I did get a few surges over the past few months maybe once every 2 weeks it would randomly drop off and about 2 seconds later I'd get fuel again

The question is how do I test do determine if it's the cp3 or regulator obviously if it's the cp3 I'll do both but neither are in the budget

Fwiw the cts won't read any rail or any other pressures on an 02 or atleast mine
Forgive me if I read this wrong, but my cts reads both rail and desired rail on my 02
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Trimmed and lowered on Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Just a thought, but could the gearpump on the back of the CP3 have gone bad? Is that even possible?
I don't even know, maybe it imploded like a cp4
I don't even know what to do not being able to see any rail pressure is what's stumping me, too many variables, is my cts working, or is my pump shot... Did the pump shaft shear off... I don't even know ow where to begin, I do know I have fuel at the cp3 on the low pressure side

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
Forgive me if I read this wrong, but my cts reads both rail and desired rail on my 02
Mine won't read anything, is it because the pump is fried... Who knows