Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Gearhead

Truck: 2001 2500HD
Engine: Duramax
Transmission: Automatic
Default won't start....HELP!

Question guys: 04 LB7, will not start without ether... Ok, here's the scoop. While cranking over the fuel pressure is below cranking minimum. If you use ether, it will start and the pressure immediately climes to the desired. If you don't use ether it will not start, just cranks. Injectors have been tested, no air leaks, and am unable to control pressure with scanner while cranking. Pressure regulator also carries 12 volts the whole time. Any ideas? Could it be FICM? Key switch possibly? Help!!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM
SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!

Truck: 2004.5 chevy 4x4
Engine: Duramax lly

Sounds like a weak cp3 we had the same problem. A good temp fix is a lift pump do u have one.? It has fixed our problem on one of our trucks and has been runnin good for about ten months so far since my brother lacks the mechanical skill And desire to fix the right way and pull cp3 out

2004.5 lly 2500 chevy 4x4 very big Danville turbo, efi live, carrillo rods, so cal pistons ,arp studs ,brodix heads . Hsp manifolds and custom intake along with a DR Tuning custom stainless remote mount,very very very very very large exergy sticks,twin modded cp3 pumps. Tranny is obviously built with billet shafts in house by DR Tuning. Plus many other goodies!

also have a 2003 lb7 crew cab dually dark green mostly stock with stage five suncoast, full cognito front suspension semi 10 lug wheel kit with 19.5 alcoa's and s b intake
Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracing70 View Post
Sounds like a weak cp3 we had the same problem. A good temp fix is a lift pump do u have one.? It has fixed our problem on one of our trucks and has been runnin good for about ten months so far since my brother lacks the mechanical skill And desire to fix the right way and pull cp3 out
With a weak CP3 would you still be able to crank up the psi to 22k at idle?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!

Truck: 2004.5 chevy 4x4
Engine: Duramax lly

Yes but prob would not be constant it would fluxuate

2004.5 lly 2500 chevy 4x4 very big Danville turbo, efi live, carrillo rods, so cal pistons ,arp studs ,brodix heads . Hsp manifolds and custom intake along with a DR Tuning custom stainless remote mount,very very very very very large exergy sticks,twin modded cp3 pumps. Tranny is obviously built with billet shafts in house by DR Tuning. Plus many other goodies!

also have a 2003 lb7 crew cab dually dark green mostly stock with stage five suncoast, full cognito front suspension semi 10 lug wheel kit with 19.5 alcoa's and s b intake
Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
That's better

Truck: 05 GMC 3500
Engine: lly & lb7

Stuck or bad regulator?

05 CC/LB
EFI ,A/D lift pump,Cognito 7"lift /P&I supports / Banks air and exaust /ARP head studs/ Mike L stage 4 trans / EPR twins.

Abby 01 RC/LB 10.28@144mph
Arias pistons/ Howards rods / S475 & PBK twin turbos from EPR/PPE 2 CP3 / SoCal stg 2 heads & cam / 100 over sticks /Socal flexplate & dampner & girdle /DPR oil pump / Lenco-bruno trans /BD intercooler / Ted at MPL / turbo blankets from Levi
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
TOYAHOLIC

Truck: '01 Silverado 2500HD
Engine: 6.6 DURAMAX

Wont the regulator go wide open if you unplug it? if so see if it'll start.
Sheet Metal Workers Local #22
Creatures Of The Night Performance
ProFab Performance
Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7

I would think bad glow plug controller, starting fluid by the way will melt the tips off the glow plugs. Not sure how to test the controller though.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 AM
That's better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrabel View Post
Wont the regulator go wide open if you unplug it? if so see if it'll start.

From personal experiance it is hard to stat at 160mpa

05 CC/LB
EFI ,A/D lift pump,Cognito 7"lift /P&I supports / Banks air and exaust /ARP head studs/ Mike L stage 4 trans / EPR twins.

Arias pistons/ Howards rods / S475 & PBK twin turbos from EPR/PPE 2 CP3 / SoCal stg 2 heads & cam / 100 over sticks /Socal flexplate & dampner & girdle /DPR oil pump / Lenco-bruno trans /BD intercooler / Ted at MPL / turbo blankets from Levi
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
That's better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
I would think bad glow plug controller, starting fluid by the way will melt the tips off the glow plugs. Not sure how to test the controller though.

yes it will

test light on the plug will show if they work,alos it should code if they are not working

I run 15.5 to 1 with no plugs and mine still starts without either at 50f
it doenst like it though.

05 CC/LB

Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
That's what we thought too, but we replaced the gpc and the plugs are working fine. For some reason it's just not getting any fuel while cranking. Now if you use a little shot of ether, it starts and runs fine. No smoke, no sputtering, nothing. Just purrs like a kitten.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7

Well I would guess fuel also then....Just go easy on the diesel candy its rough on the plugs.