Duramax Diesels Forum

Duramax Diesels Forum (http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/index.php)
-   Duramax Engine Building (http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   LLY: Cracked head rebuild suggestions (http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77483)

Firegoat 09-02-2017 06:44 PM

Cracked head rebuild suggestions

Hello, I'm a new member here, so a little background, I have an '05 LLY with 140k, I just got a 5" straight pipe exhaust done in June, truck went into limp mode while my wife was towing a 3 horse trailer, found it to be from the EGR and/or MAF. I got the EGR deleted at this point and got an EFI Live with mild max tune by Idaho Rob. A few weeks later, notice a coolant loss and my garage said it was a cracked head between #5 and #7.

So my truck is parked for now, but I am expecting some back-pay at work to get it fixed. My thought was spending $10k-$15k to get head fixed, transmission built, new injectors and other mods. So if they already are going in to the top end of the engine, what all would you guys suggest getting done?

My mechanic quoted me about $4k for the following:
arp studs
machine work (if it needs a valve job, his machine shop does a stage 1 port job while they are in there no added cost)
Head gaskets
Upper eng gaskets (8glow plugs)
thermostats, coolant etc.

Currently there are no mods to the engine besides K&N FIPK air filter, EGR delete and EFI live

Blackmax123 09-02-2017 06:56 PM

I'd get a couple more tunes if you gonna tow with it.

Firegoat 09-02-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmax123 (Post 1077414)
I'd get a couple more tunes if you gonna tow with it.

I have the dsp5 with it, but depending on what all I end up doing, I'll probably have to get my tune updated

Blackmax123 09-02-2017 07:18 PM

Okay my bad. Miss understood your post..

It depends how crazy you want to get. I'd have them use the empire diesel kit or even eBay kit and add a key in the end of the crank. Maybe swap chargers if you gonna build the tranny and get injectors. Would also be a good time for in upgraded cp3 pump.

Hambone 09-03-2017 04:47 AM

Cracked head? Or do you mean head Gasket?
Either way if your going to be towing with it you need to get a lbz intake elbow
Or just a new charger setup

Firegoat 09-03-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 1077433)
Cracked head? Or do you mean head Gasket?

Either way if your going to be towing with it you need to get a lbz intake elbow

Or just a new charger setup

No, unfortunately it was the head :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7 09-03-2017 11:54 AM

can you get a picture of this crack the mechanic is telling you about?

Hambone 09-03-2017 04:30 PM

Picture for sure :thumb:
Yea man a cracked head just sounds really suspicious on a mostly stock truck...
I've seen stranger things though lol

IOWA LLY 09-03-2017 06:03 PM

Cracked heads are pretty common..... Especially on trucks that have been driven with head gasket issues for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Firegoat 09-03-2017 06:09 PM

I'll try to get a pic soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk