borescope size? What fits in the glow plug hole?

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Was looking at a 5.8 mm bore scope but someone said it was too big. Anyone know what size will fit through glow plug hole?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I used I think it was a 3 mm borescope to look at my piston when it went.

I went through the injector hole.

Last edited:

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
3mm, dam small and probably pretty $$$?
What's easiest to pull and look through, glow plug or injector?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Glow plug is easier to pull, but the injector isn't much more work, especially on the passenger's side. I'm not exactly sure how much the borescope I used was. I borrowed it from work, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Here are the pics I took with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I did some looking after seeing the name stamp in the pictures (I couldn't remember the brand of the scope before), and I believe the one I was using was the 3.9 mm Everest VIT VideoProbe XL PRO.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There is an El Cheapo they sell on Ebay for $150, but it does not have good enough imaging. Pro-something?

Uh, WAIT! It works great, anyone wanna buy it? (my Ebay voice)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have a VOscope videostic, video screen bore scope. cant remember if it fits through the inj hole or not? Been too long. Its way to big for a GP hole though. Snap-On has a new video scope thats pretty small, not sure what exactly.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Snap-on is 8.5 mm and Mac has one that is 7mm. 7mm is ok for injector hole IIRC. If your gonna spend a little coin try to find used medical ones that articulate and have a light source, not one of those crap one with mirrors to look back and to the sides.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Snap-on is 8.5 mm and Mac has one that is 7mm. 7mm is ok for injector hole IIRC. If your gonna spend a little coin try to find used medical ones that articulate and have a light source, not one of those crap one with mirrors to look back and to the sides.
The one I used wasn't medical, but it was fully articulating. It had a little joystick control to move it electronically and a fiber optic light also. Worked really well for looking in the cylinder.

slv1388

Dec 16, 2009
Hi!!! I'm a new user here and I'm looking for a simple borescope.

I've seen this boroscope and I want to know your opinion.
The boroscope is this: Boroscope - PCE-E 130

Sorry for my bad English, I'm French.

Thank you in advance for your help.

slv1388

Dec 16, 2009
In the bottom of the page there a english flag but I think is other boroscope model.

Thanks