intercooler pipes [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : intercooler pipes

TrentNell
08-13-2008, 05:56 PM
has any one made there own intercooler pipes ? i have been thinking it could be done . thinking of 3 - 3.5 " but dont know if its worth the time just looking to move some more air :D ( egt reduction )will be upgrading the wheel in my s300 to the 66mm soon hopefully and was wondering were else i can gain while i'm at it ?

bullfrogjohnson
08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
When I did my turbo I went to 3" piping. The LB7's are already 3" everywhere except half of the driver side piping

MaxPowerLB7
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Mine is 3 inch from the charger into the engine. I think it has helped a bit. The GT42 builds less boost with more power than my s300 did with the stock tubes and Y bridge.

TrentNell
08-13-2008, 10:00 PM
i need to replace the pass. side any way so why not upgrade :D were did you guys get your tube bent , i see 2 options get an exhaust shop to bend up some tubing with the old ones for samples or get some bends and weld them up. will no mandral bends really slow flow ? would it hurt to go 3.5 " or is there clearence issues . i think the banks tubes are 3.5 in i wish they sold them seperately . whats the y bridge ?

MaxPowerLB7
08-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Why do you need to replace the pass. side? The intercooler inlet and outlet are 3 inch so i see no reason to go bigger. You can buy a better drivers side tube but you need to have a A5k or GT42 for it to work.

Turbo Buick 6
08-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Needs to be mandrel bends! Just buy some u bends and weld them together:D

TrentNell
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Why do you need to replace the pass. side? The intercooler inlet and outlet are 3 inch so i see no reason to go bigger. You can buy a better drivers side tube but you need to have a A5k or GT42 for it to work.
when i first did my water meth it was tapped into the intercooler tube now i have the sd manifold ,and had a 1/16 hole on the bottom towards the intercooler i have plugged the holes with plastic pipe thread plugs and they are holding but wasnt going to replace tube cause i was hoping to get a banks intercooler but its to much $ for the only benifit to me is egt reduction while towing hoping a wheel upgrade von the turbo will do the same and add some power too :D i'm afraid i'm going to blow a plug out or that they are disrupting the flow through the tube cause the 1/8 npt plugs set inside the tube 1/2" in three different spots. probably juist being anal , thanks for the advice guys :)

TrentNell
08-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Needs to be mandrel bends! Just buy some u bends and weld them together:D

i may end up going that route , is there enough length in the factory tube to cut out the step downs and just get different boots.

codyn
08-14-2008, 06:44 AM
banks make 3 inch pipes

Sean8816
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I believe killerbee sells 3in as well.

Killerbee
08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
when i first did my water meth it was tapped into the intercooler tube now i have the sd manifold ,and had a 1/16 hole on the bottom towards the intercooler i have plugged the holes with plastic pipe thread plugs and they are holding but wasnt going to replace tube cause i was hoping to get a banks intercooler but its to much $ for the only benifit to me is egt reduction while towing hoping a wheel upgrade von the turbo will do the same and add some power too :D i'm afraid i'm going to blow a plug out or that they are disrupting the flow through the tube cause the 1/8 npt plugs set inside the tube 1/2" in three different spots. probably juist being anal , thanks for the advice guys :)

I think you have valid concerns. Plastic is heat sensitive also. I do have a feeling you have some unnecessary restrictions from your changes. If you have a constriction to under 2.5" on the cold side, you should look at that.

BTW, I don't think you will see any benefits from larger CAC tubes, you already have good stuff. The 04 and on is a different matter. The hot side is the only place you will benefit, and then only if you are using an aftermarket turbo.

MAXLLY
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Killerbee,

I made all my own IC pipes, what happens when you start increasing ID? Can i have the info "6 year old style"?

I had 2.5" +/- on the stock LLY, added banks crud, then in the rebuild got away from stock charger location, in that change i increased the ID to 4". As reference charger sucks on a 5" pipe, compressor side blows in a 4" pipe down to just behind the radiator, then 4" back up to a 4" sheetmetal intake plenum.

I increased the ID, reduced total number of bends by almost 50 %. What benefit should i realize. Please.:D

Killerbee
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
The more air you want to move, the higher the velocity of it. Making the tube larger decreases velocity, which decreases friction.

But if the configuration already has less than say, 1/2 psi of restriction, there is little good in "fixing" it.

The 2.5" LLY has up to 2.5 psi of friction loss (takes away from boost) on the hot side. That is why it is worth changing to 3". I no longer even sell cold side tubes, because the gain is micro. That is because the CAC slows the air way down.

How was that? :)

MAXLLY
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
totally got that!!

slower, colder, denser... hotter, faster, less dense.

Of course this is all good to a point and a great big balancing act on several fronts i imagine.

Thanks Man.:D

I simply wanted to confirm i was headed in the right direction.

bullfrogjohnson
08-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Got all my piping from Ebay

TrentNell
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Got all my piping from Ebay
was it one of the universal 3" intercooler pipe kits? i have been searching ebay. or was it 3 " bends and weld them together

JOHNBOY
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I cut the reduced ends of my LB7 pipes. I used tubing bends and hose from http://www.racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=47

sweetdiesel
08-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I cut the reduced ends of my LB7 pipes. I used tubing bends and hose from http://www.racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=47

X2 easy & cheap
consider putting a bead on the end of the pipes:D

the Y bridge is where the pass side pipe hooks into the top of the motor
its called the Y bridge because it Ys into the intake runners that are connected to the heads

JOHNBOY
08-16-2008, 01:31 AM
X2 easy & cheap
consider putting a bead on the end of the pipes:D

the Y bridge is where the pass side pipe hooks into the top of the motor
its called the Y bridge because it Ys into the intake runners that are connected to the heads

Thanks for bringing up beading the tubes. That must be done!

I like the 3" I used. I have 3" straight of the turbo all the way to the motor now. I did not use the goofey reducing adapter that came with the PPE install it. It steps down from 3.5" to 2.5" really quick. I made my own adapter that reduces the compressor output to 3" and is much longer so the transition is much smoother.

TrentNell
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
man great info guys this will be my next project ! :D

MAXLLY
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
you could also make friends with the local muffler guy and he can get you all the parts from the local warehouse.

I would expect $50-75 for something simple, just increasing ID. Anything over 4" ID gets $$$ quick.

Good luck, it's fun (IMO) fabbing that stuff.

eds04max
08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Here's ya' another 3"/GT42 set-up...........

sweetdiesel
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Here's ya' another 3"/GT42 set-up...........

Very nice!

sweetdiesel
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Here is a pic of mine with the old turbo on it is now only slightly different:)

I did this for about 50 bucks,Lucky for me my Y bridge is allready 3"

LarryJewell
06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
:bump:

SIKDMAX
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
wanna be included here for the link to tubing!

Killerbee
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
For 04.5 and on vehicles, I supply 3" tube and coupling kits. Hot side only.

If this post is objectionable, just report it. ;) Not trying to compete.

othrgrl
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Banks will sell the 3" tubes seperately in case anyone didn't already know.

TrentNell
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Banks will sell the 3" tubes seperately in case anyone didn't already know.

X2 got my hot side pipe for 89.00 + shipping . hard to justify building your own for that price . ( at least for myself )

Killerbee
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
That is true, for LLY only IIRC.

TrentNell
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
That is true, for LLY only IIRC.

I do know the Banks LB7 intercoolers come with new pipes , so I would say they have them for lb7 and lly . and probably the same parts

05lly2500hd
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I just got a driver's side CAC from Banks (ATP) where did you get a boot to fit?
I'm thinking I need to go from turbo(2"?) up to 3" on pipe................I just painted mine black, took the old one out and realized it wouldn't fit because of the boot................damnit!

sweetdiesel
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
you sure its 2"?
You can get hoses from all over the place Ebay,Local hose and hydraulic shop
local ricer shop:D

JoshH
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
I just got a driver's side CAC from Banks (ATP) where did you get a boot to fit?
I'm thinking I need to go from turbo(2"?) up to 3" on pipe................I just painted mine black, took the old one out and realized it wouldn't fit because of the boot................damnit!
http://www.racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=38

othrgrl
08-10-2009, 11:29 PM
You can buy the banks kit with the clamps and boots for about $150 retail - the pipe itself for $89. Although Banks doesn't advertise it this way, the driver's side pipe will fit LB7, LLY, LBZ, and most likely LMM. It is the same powder coated pipe that killerbee was marketing with a HUGE mark-up as his own "ceramic coated" pipe.:rolleyes:

05lly2500hd
08-10-2009, 11:53 PM
you sure its 2"?
You can get hoses from all over the place Ebay,Local hose and hydraulic shop
local ricer shop:D

no I"m not sure it's 2", just guessing. What would i measure? the OD?

05lly2500hd
08-10-2009, 11:56 PM

I like that website.......pretty simple. Thanks.
Now just to find out what size I need.

sweetdiesel
08-10-2009, 11:59 PM
no I"m not sure it's 2", just guessing. What would i measure? the OD?

I would measure the ID or both for that matter...Im pretty sure you would want the ID as certain brands of silcone hose range from 3 ply to 5ply and that doesnt change the ID:)

If Banks charges a extra 60 bucks for the 2 hoses and clamps I think that is a little steep IMO But convience is always nice.

If i was to geuss i would say 2-1/2 to 3" is what you need

05lly2500hd
08-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I was actually talking about measuring the OD of compressor outlet...but yeah it would make more sense to measure the boot on there now...
I've already ordered and recieved the tube, so don't know how to go about getting the boot and clamp, which I only need the top side, not the bottom. Guy I bought it from is on vacation. I'm anxious and would like to be able to find something local, just have no idea where to start.
Thanks.

Killerbee
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
You can buy the banks kit with the clamps and boots for about $150 retail - the pipe itself for $89. Although Banks doesn't advertise it this way, the driver's side pipe will fit LB7, LLY, LBZ, and most likely LMM. It is the same powder coated pipe that killerbee was marketing with a HUGE mark-up as his own "ceramic coated" pipe.:rolleyes:

Easy hoss, you don't know the whole story. Banks is who said they were ceramic, not me. I realize that it is still my problem, but there is a difference between lying, (what you are implying), and being lied to.

My markup was an industry standard. I assembled a complete kit for a reasonable price. People don't feed there families without making money somehow.

Banks markets them now (they didn't before I made them popular) for a price that is slightly less than what they charged me when I purchased in quantity. I am very upset about how they treated me, and I learned a lesson from it...but you should know, there is a lot more to this story that nobody is aware of. So I am just asking you to believe me....and I am not going to bash any company or entity for its corp decisions, just know there is more than one victim here.

I will be finding a new manufacture (that's all Banks is to me) for spec'd boost tubes, 3" and 3.5", with npt bungs for measuring COT, or for nitrous/WMI. They will be clearcoated stainless steel with no ceramic anything. I may try aluminum also.

RENODMAX
08-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Yes we can actually agree on something for once. Claims to be an engineer and uses other peoples stuff haha.

othrgrl
08-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Easy hoss, you don't know the whole story. Banks is who said they were ceramic, not me. I realize that it is still my problem, but there is a difference between lying, (what you are implying), and being lied to.

My markup was an industry standard. I assembled a complete kit for a reasonable price. People don't feed there families without making money somehow.

Banks markets them now (they didn't before I made them popular) for a price that is slightly less than what they charged me when I purchased in quantity. I am very upset about how they treated me, and I learned a lesson from it...but you should know, there is a lot more to this story that nobody is aware of. So I am just asking you to believe me....and I am not going to bash any company or entity for its corp decisions, just know there is more than one victim here.

I will be finding a new manufacture (that's all Banks is to me) for spec'd boost tubes, 3" and 3.5", with npt bungs for measuring COT, or for nitrous/WMI. They will be clearcoated stainless steel with no ceramic anything. I may try aluminum also.

I can somewhat, maybe, try to, possibly, almost see where you are coming from on this but many of us have bought them for the current price a long while ago - so your claim that they dropped price to screw you over or make you "look like" you were gouging just doesn't fit. You tried to do the same with the LBZ mouthpiece - take someone elses idea, buy up the supply, then talk it up all over to drive up demand, then charge a ridiculous amount for a part you didn't come up with, don't make, and didn't even come up with the idea to use. Good luck with your future endeavors but I hope that the Duramax enthusiasts can see through your spreadsheets, save some money, and get the same results and or parts from the actual people who come up with or make them.

05lly2500hd
08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks I ordered a boot and two clamps from here earlier.

FWIW, measuring the OD of the CAC pipe(assuming it's almost identical size to stock VVT turbo) I got 2.25" and the OD of Banks CAC(aheem, KB's pipe...:rofl:)
is 3". So I just got a 2"-3" ID transition boot.
I called around local and couldn't find anything as small as 2".
Cool! It was shipped within an hour or two of me placing order. Thanks Josh for the link.

JoshH
08-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Actually, Johnboy posted a link to that site earlier in this thread. I just found the boot you needed there and reposted the link, but you're welcome.

05smoker
08-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Actually, Johnboy posted a link to that site earlier in this thread. I just found the boot you needed there and reposted the link, but you're welcome.

John actually sent me that link when we were building our pipes. They are very reasonable and always shipped fast. No issues with any of the boots.

JOHNBOY
08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
I have been buying hoses, tubing, fittings, wastgates, and other stuff from http://www.racepartsolutions.com/ for over a year know. Good prices and fast shipping. I could not be much more pleased with them.:)

McRat
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I put together Casper's 3" tubes from Ebays parts. I use 2 aluminum tubes per side connected with a straight hose. I had to buy a cheap bead-roller from Summit to put beads back on where I had to cut them. No welding for me.

But if you do it that way, make sure the middle section of hose isn't near anything hot. This is what blew out on our first B'ville run.

Fat_Robi
08-18-2009, 09:48 PM
What kind of gains could be expected on a stock turbo lmm? I am just looking for little things I can do here and there and $150 ish for the banks tube is do-able for me. Is it worth it?

RickDLance
08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I think Guy has the boost tubes also. Might give him a call.;)

RENODMAX
08-19-2009, 01:20 AM
I have been buying hoses, tubing, fittings, wastgates, and other stuff from http://www.racepartsolutions.com/ for over a year know. Good prices and fast shipping. I could not be much more pleased with them.:)

X2. I think the first time I bought from them was 3 years ago and they're still great

TheBac
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
So is Banks the only maker of the better-fitting, better-flowing IC pipes? I seem to remember another thread somewhere where another company was going to start making these, but couldnt find it.

SDP
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I think AFE makes a drivers side tube now, theirs tapers down to 2.5" at the turbo for the silicone hose which is same as stock. Banks is 3" all the way from what I've seen in pictures. Something like $200 for it.

RPM Motorsports
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
So is Banks the only maker of the better-fitting, better-flowing IC pipes? I seem to remember another thread somewhere where another company was going to start making these, but couldnt find it.

Although not the cheapest route, others are making them as well;). I just did a 3" SS LB7 to S480 today! The pic is for a LBZ 3" SS to stock turbo.

Burn Down
01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
^^^OOH! thats a beauty. How much?

RPM Motorsports
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
$275.00 in 316L, Like I said not cheap! Parts alone for an LBZ are $177.82 without shipping. I can get you PN#'s, if you want to make one your self! They can be made for less, with a lesser quality material!

never satisfied
01-10-2010, 11:42 PM
^^^OOH! thats a beauty. How much?

Just wait until he polishes it up;) You wont find a better piece

TheBac
01-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Wow. Nice piece of work. That price really puts things into perspective. Thanks Russ.

skintback
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Does anybody have the part number for just the hot side banks tube lly? I know the number for the tube and boot 25936

Thanks

05lly2500hd
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the Banks tube is less than $100 with no hose or clamps. contact Rob with ATP.

05lly2500hd
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM

this is where i bought the hose and clamps, great people.

Large1
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
has any one made there own intercooler pipes ? i have been thinking it could be done . thinking of 3 - 3.5 " but dont know if its worth the time just looking to move some more air :D ( egt reduction )will be upgrading the wheel in my s300 to the 66mm soon hopefully and was wondering were else i can gain while i'm at it ?

I have thought about doing this as well

JoshH
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Does anybody have the part number for just the hot side banks tube lly? I know the number for the tube and boot 25936

Thanks
When I talked to Jeff Barker at Banks he told me they no longer sell it as just the tube. Maybe I'm not important enough to buy it that way though.

othrgrl
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
When I talked to Jeff Barker at Banks he told me they no longer sell it as just the tube. Maybe I'm not important enough to buy it that way though.

Must not be.... lol. I just ordered 3 driver's side tubes and 1 passenger side tube the other day, and ordered 1 driver's side with boot and clamp too.

I can get the banks tubes for you guys. The tube alone is $90 per side. For the driver's side tube with the T-bolt clamp and boot it is $150. For stock turbo guys I have mostly been ordering just the tube and getting the 3"-2.5" boot and 3" T-clamp elsewhere and can do that for $135.

lotsofmiles
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Must not be.... lol. I just ordered 3 driver's side tubes and 1 passenger side tube the other day, and ordered 1 driver's side with boot and clamp too.

x2

I must be special:D

fatboylmm
01-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I did both the compressor to the ic and from the ic to y-bridge out of 3-" not sure on gains though not finished with the rest of the compounds install

skintback
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
I got the boot 2.5-3'' but it's a inch shorter then the stock one is it going to work?

Still wanting on the tube :rolleyes:

Diesel Technology Source
01-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Ill be dynoing my truck along with another stock LBZ With efi live tuning on monday. We have the ic pipes from the turbo to ic from banks. And ill post the hp and tq increse if there is any. Im also doing the same on a lly with trans and efi live ill post those results as well.

skintback
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
tube only # 42328

SSchmi5519
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Although not the cheapest route, others are making them as well;). I just did a 3" SS LB7 to S480 today! The pic is for a LBZ 3" SS to stock turbo.

At $275, its not the most expensive either!