LB7: Automatic Shift Lever Replacement [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LB7: Automatic Shift Lever Replacement

stevewaclo
08-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Hello all,

Just bought my rig and, as the PO told me, repairing the broken tow/haul button means I need to replace the entire lever. Have already looked at the part at the dealership and, other than a single fastener and a harness connection, appears replacement may be within my abilities.

My concern is pulling the surrounding plastic to access the fastener and the electrical connector. Spent some time with the search function, but no joy and any guidance from someone who has been here before would be appreciated.

'03 Sierra SLE 2500HD Allison 5sp

Best wishes.

JoshH
08-24-2012, 06:03 AM
2 or 3 screws going into the bottom piece need to be removed, and then the bottom piece can be unclipped from the top piece and pulled out. I believe the screws take a 7mm socket.

millerman04
08-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Have fun. U dont need to replace the whole shifter. Ive done 2 trucks now with that problem. Replaced the the shifter on one truck, and just crimped the wires on the other truck. One thing i did do when i put it back together was that i didnt reinstall one of the black plastic clips that hold the wire on the steering column. Just be patient when putting the column plastic back on. :thumb:

MACKIN
08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
It's EASY to do change the whole arm. I have one off my truck 2001 Chevy if your interested. I went with a Denali one thats why I took it off.

Non OEM ones are under $40 bucks.In other words not a GM part. So if interested in a GM one shoot me a decent offer or post it here. I can ship easily also.

TheBac
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Watch the little clips that hold the back of the black column surround on, they can break easily if you wrench the two halves apart. Two tabs into two slots.

One screw holds the lever on. One plug, one black wire-holder. Just take two lengths of small-gauge wire and solder them to the ends of the OEM wires to lengthen them. Reinstall lever, plug it back in, and button up the column cover. I dont recommend reusing the wire holder, as its a wear point. Just use a small zip-tie to loosely hold the wire away from the tilt mechanism.

stevewaclo
08-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm.

Gotta figure out why I'm not getting auto-notification of responses to my post :confused:.

Negotiated an OEM lever from my GMC dealer for $95 as I need to be towing early this week, so thanks for all the great R&R advice and offer of a replacement lever. Was reviewing PO docs last night (records back to day one :thumb:) and discovered at some point the button stuck "in". An effort to pop it back out succeeded all too well :(. Also, the PO was obsessive about fuel filters...every 4k (I'm not complaining) and I'm not unhappy about his 6k oil changes either, although that seems like too often for routine (no tow) driving. I believe I have the oil monitor system but have yet to puzzle it out. My SLE has no steering wheel buttons and still looking for 411 readout...back to the owners manual.

He and I talked about the injector recall and he told me it had been done and going through the records, I discovered they began failing in 1/09 @ 60k and were replaced under the extended warranty when the exhaust started blowing big time black.

Lots of other things I want to discuss, but will use search and start individual threads as needed (PRN, as my wife says ;))

Finally, will leave some slack in the shift lever harness to minimize future failure and take special care with the plastic bits. Guess I should put my crow bar back in the tool bucket :rofl:.

Best wishes.

Off to explore "user CP".

Best wishes

stevewaclo
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Got the new lever in and must say it was a much bigger pia than anticipated.

Two hours of shop labor sounds about right.

No time for the horrible details, but will respond to a pm if anyone requests additional 411.

Best wishes.