Are we going about it all wrong? [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Are we going about it all wrong?

JoshH
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I knew the gen III Chevy small block was capable of producing big power, but I read this article in Hot Rod a couple of days ago and was absolutely amazed. You should read the whole article, but to sum it up, they took what they thought was a 5.3 engine from a wrecking yard, opened up the gap on the top ring, put some upgraded heads, a bigger cam, and some bigger injectors in it. They also bolted on a couple of turbos and put down over 1200 HP on an engine dyno. This was on a completely stock bottom end! I found it very interesting.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

I'm not getting rid of my truck anytime soon or anything. I was just really impressed with what they were able to do with the motor. BTW, the motor turned out to be a 4.8 instead of a 5.3 like they thought it was.

Burn Down
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Im a huge fan of the gen III. Some variation of that engine will go into my 67' Camaro. I have been reading about it for awhile now and it is so impressive.

whitetrash21
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
i read that article... then had to re-read it/ Blew my mind. Stock bottom end and it never gave out.... ran into some tuning issues iirc. Amazing what the lsx series can take as far as abuse.

GeneralTJI
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Though I'm sure that smallblock made pretty solid torque with that turbo setup...It's the massive torque of the Diesel that cleans our clocks IMO.... everything from the crank itself to the trans, and the rest of the driveline suffers from such massive torque numbers....yes it helps get our heavy trucks up and moving, and it's essential with towing etc. But it puts a lot of stress on everything...

DuramaxPowered
02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Go to theturboforums.com ........read for days

THEREDDEVIL
02-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I keep debating on selling my 3 first gen motors and doing a 5.3 swap with a single gt45. I don't have much room in the little vega engine bay or it would b twins. Unbelievable what some guys r doing with these things. Nitrous, blowers, turbos and huge power! That 1200 hp would b unreal in a 2500lb car.

DuramaxPowered
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
genIII, twin turbos, E85...........GAME OVER :thumb:

duratothemax
02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Ive been saying for years...dmax guys need to take off their diesel blinders. Yeah the diesel torque is fun. Anyone who says "oh duramax's are awesome, so easy to get power out of!!!" has never worked on a Gen III/IV V8......

Those engines blow the dmax out of the water as far as hp-to-dollar value, and what you can do with stock parts. Not to mention you can pick up a complete junkyard 4.8/5.3 for the price of two duramax injectors.

Anyone who says "gassers drool and diesels rule!" is just being ignorant, IMO. The cost of breaking parts on a duramax gets kinda old and takes the fun out of it.

DuramaxPowered
02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
which is exactly why I haven't dropped any coin to start building a DMAX motor..............Seriously considering building a 1500 truck with turbo 4.8/5.3/6.0..

PAT
02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Hmmmmm

'03duramax
02-09-2012, 09:12 PM
When I got into diesels back in '05, I was hooked, and just ignored my Camaro. Now 7yrs later I've sold the 408 and just let the car sit. Sad, I definitely miss the LS cars, but the online community of LS owners is part of what drove me away. Though there are some pretty annoying Dmax sites now too, haha.

JoshH
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Though I'm sure that smallblock made pretty solid torque with that turbo setup...It's the massive torque of the Diesel that cleans our clocks IMO.... everything from the crank itself to the trans, and the rest of the driveline suffers from such massive torque numbers....yes it helps get our heavy trucks up and moving, and it's essential with towing etc. But it puts a lot of stress on everything...
I agree. It is one of the things I have been concerned about with my upcoming race van project. I'm afraid to scatter the engine by running too much RPM, but I'm tempted to see just how high you can spin one of these motors totally stock before something comes apart. I'm betting it has valve train problems before a rod comes apart.

MarkBroviak
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree. It is one of the things I have been concerned about with my upcoming race van project. I'm afraid to scatter the engine by running too much RPM, but I'm tempted to see just how high you can spin one of these motors totally stock before something comes apart. I'm betting it has valve train problems before a rod comes apart.

Cough, 5250rpms is where my hardlimit is set and still going...:spit: I'm with you, I am waiting for a valvetrain failure in mine, not worried about the lowerend failing. Wondering where the valves are going to float...

JoshH
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Cough, 5250rpms is where my hardlimit is set and still going...:spit: I'm with you, I am waiting for a valvetrain failure in mine, not worried about the lowerend failing. Wondering where the valves are going to float...For real? You've ran that much RPM on your LBZ? Do you still have a completely stock valve train?

Poltergeist
02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
The one big problem is tuning for a gas motor is a lot more difficult then for diesel. But I do like the LS1 in my Camaro.

McRat
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
While I love the LSx family of engines (we have 2), it's kind of like apples to oranges. Our Duramaxes are amazing because a HD 4x4 tow truck can be made to haul ass fairly easy, even though they are the size and weight of a barn. And somehow get good mileage in the process.

Things to note:

1200HP on an engine dyno normally translates to 900-1000rwhp.
A 600rwhp diesel in a 7000LB truck will outperform a 600rwhp gas engine in the same truck. Diesels have much flatter HP curves, ie - more average HP.

Race gas is $7.50 gallon and rarer than diesel fuel is.

Minor tuning errors in turbo gas engines are expensive.

justin_08
02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
which is exactly why I haven't dropped any coin to start building a DMAX motor..............Seriously considering building a 1500 truck with turbo 4.8/5.3/6.0..

A guy I knew had a turbo 5.3 with a built 4l80e and that thing was bad ass!!

mckey73
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
And everyone was giving me a hard time about swapping my lb7 for a lq4, sheesh. How many ls2 aftermarket parts are just lying around peoples garages? I can get a whole donor truck for about $400 to $800 less than new injectors - of course that doesn't include the $3k to build a n.a. 6.0 and tune it.

PAT
02-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Sooooo... Selling the truck now!

Iceman56
02-10-2012, 05:30 AM
While I love the LSx family of engines (we have 2), it's kind of like apples to oranges. Our Duramaxes are amazing because a HD 4x4 tow truck can be made to haul ass fairly easy, even though they are the size and weight of a barn. And somehow get good mileage in the process.

Things to note:

A 600rwhp diesel in a 7000LB truck will outperform a 600rwhp gas engine in the same truck. Diesels have much flatter HP curves, ie - more average HP.

E85 is like a $1.50 though and is at about as many pumps as diesel is around here. E85 blown motors seem to be the new thing on the street and it sounds like there pretty awesome.

02greysixer
02-10-2012, 05:56 AM

Things to note:

I agree, a 600 horsepower 1/2 ton truck would be fun for sure. But with gas you'd pay for all that power a lot more in the fuel economy than with diesel. Best milage I've ever seen from a 5.3 truck was 17 something. That was hyper mileing on an open flat highway. Truck had free flowing flow masters, a diablo on economy, a cold air intake, and a free flowing MAF. When adding a turbo or supercharger to that youre lucky to even see the same milage as a stock truck. At least with our diesels a 600 hp truck will get better milage than when it was stock. Of course that all goes out the window if something happens with the duramax and it needs to be built. This is speaking stock long block to stock long block.

This is just my opinion and experiences, im sure lots of people will disagree. But one of the main reasons I bought a diesel was to make big power and still see around 20mpg.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

blk smoke lb7
02-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Though I'm sure that smallblock made pretty solid torque with that turbo setup...It's the massive torque of the Diesel that cleans our clocks IMO.... everything from the crank itself to the trans, and the rest of the driveline suffers from such massive torque numbers....yes it helps get our heavy trucks up and moving, and it's essential with towing etc. But it puts a lot of stress on everything...X2

Evan@LimitlessDiesel
02-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I get asked daily why I am putting so much money into a diesel truck to make it fast when I could buy a gasser and make it faster for much cheaper. The answer for me is easy everyone has fast gas cars and trucks and that's not what I want it has nothing to do with thinking it's easier to get power from a diesel motor. Even if the parts are more expensive and it's not practical to have fast 4x4 diesel truck that's what makes it so fun.

68skylark455
02-10-2012, 08:26 AM
This is why I opted for the LQ9/4l60e in the burban. The tuning may be eaiser then most think since there are alot of people out there doing them. I copied the tune from the truck before I dismantled it. It was done by a company here in Texas with HPtuners but efilive copied it like it was one of theirs even though they are completely different:thumb: I have copied several "stock" programs that come thru the shop. The 6.0 awd escalade huals ass so I got one of them programs too. I have the stock turbo off of blackie and have been "thinking" on how to maybe make it work just to test the theory. Why buy parts when you have them sitting around:woott:

DuramaxPowered
02-10-2012, 08:56 AM
My thoughts are keep the LMM just the way it sits with stock cp3/injectors/twins, and build a second truck. LMM runs good the way it sits, doesn't need a built motor and can do everything I need. A regular cab shortbed 1500 with a turbo 5.3 would haul ass and be a fun street truck IMO.....

GeneralTJI
02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
E85 is like a $1.50 though and is at about as many pumps as diesel is around here. E85 blown motors seem to be the new thing on the street and it sounds like there pretty awesome.

Check around again, in my area it has gone way up :( I run my wrx on e... it's downright amazing stuff. EGT's dropped about 200 degrees, so I can run much leaner afr's, more timing (can actually exceed MBT under big boost if your not careful).

It's very forgiving stuff... though it takes some time tweaking your tune to get it to start in cold weather... and economy goes down because you burn approx. 30% more... but well worth it for a performance application!!

ChevyTruck
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I have to say I miss my 5.3! I love the power of the DMax but I do miss the high rev 5.3.

Here is a guy from the forum I get on, he went 10.5 on a 4.8 front mount. Bad ass!
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/drag-racing-139/fooses-rig-2011-best-passes-493124/

wrcknkrw
02-10-2012, 09:34 AM
The gas motors can be built considerably cheaper and very fast. I'm putting a 6.0l in my 59 chevy truck. I love my diesel and will not get rid of it because of it being so versatile. It's fast can beat most vehicles on the street get decent mileage and still tow what ever i hook up to it without caring.

TrentNell
02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I love something fast diesel or gas makes no difference to me , but as fast gasser just doesn't feel the same to me , I can never get over the "rubber band " felling of the power on these trucks , and seems like the spedo is climbing way faster than RPM once your in the higher gears .

I still think there is nothing else out there that can be built to do so many things well , and be made so fast with almost no loss of function if done the right way , with as far as thew industry has come it is very possible to have a low mid to low 10 sec truck that can still tow , be daily driven , ect . Its the reliability holding us back IMOP .

PAT
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I love something fast diesel or gas makes no difference to me , but as fast gasser just doesn't feel the same to me , I can never get over the "rubber band " felling of the power on these trucks , and seems like the spedo is climbing way faster than RPM once your in the higher gears .

I still think there is nothing else out there that can be built to do so many things well , and be made so fast with almost no loss of function if done the right way , with as far as thew industry has come it is very possible to have a low mid to low 10 sec truck that can still tow , be daily driven , ect . Its the reliability holding us back IMOP .

Trent... I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything you have said... But honestly I think that it's not durability that is the biggest deal. I think it's the price of duramax performance. $3k for a set of rods is astronomical. Even though I've partaken. But it's almost as if you HAVE to be sponsored or HAVE to have really deep pockets to pass mid 11's.

TrentNell
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Trent... I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything you have said... But honestly I think that it's not durability that is the biggest deal. I think it's the price of duramax performance. $3k for a set of rods is astronomical. Even though I've partaken. But it's almost as if you HAVE to be sponsored or HAVE to have really deep pockets to pass mid 11's.

100% true , yes the costs suck and I feel your pain because I have never really had a lot of coin to use on my own truck , its been a struggle from day 1 and that is a lot of the reason I have always tried to keep the stuff I offer on affordable side .

But were reliability comes in is even though its expensive if you only had to do it once every 5 years it would be OK , but to spend the huge amount of coin to build a motor and have a 6 month - 36 month average life ( unless you dont push it hard ) and have to do it again is why I think it is holding us back.

turbo_bu
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I have to say I miss my 5.3! I love the power of the DMax but I do miss the high rev 5.3.

Here is a guy from the forum I get on, he went 10.5 on a 4.8 front mount. Bad ass!
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/drag-racing-139/fooses-rig-2011-best-passes-493124/

performancetrucks and LS1Tech.com ... same basic web sites that are focused on performance LSx engines. On the LS1Tech site, there is a section devoted to nothing but forced induction. That is the "other" forum that I read on an almost daily basis .. the turboforums.com is another very good one to sit and read through. Though you will be there for a LONG time trying to digest is all.

As for stock stuff, there is even going to be a "stock block" shoot out this spring. http://www.stockshortblockshootout.com/

I can only imagine how fast of times these guys are gonna post! There have been lots of cars well into the 9's and even 8 seconds with nothing but a turbo LSx setup.

PAT
02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
100% true , yes the costs suck and I feel your pain because I have never really had a lot of coin to use on my own truck , its been a struggle from day 1 and that is a lot of the reason I have always tried to keep the stuff I offer on affordable side .

But were reliability comes in is even though its expensive if you only had to do it once every 5 years it would be OK , but to spend the huge amount of coin to build a motor and have a 6 month - 36 month average life ( unless you dont push it hard ) and have to do it again is why I think it is holding us back.

Agreed. But engine life span for your type of truck is quite a bit different than the majority. If I had to rebuild my motor every 36 months I'd shoot myself. It's just the damn suspension that kills me!!! GRRR

PAT
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
performancetrucks and LS1Tech.com ... same basic web sites that are focused on performance LSx engines. On the LS1Tech site, there is a section devoted to nothing but forced induction. That is the "other" forum that I read on an almost daily basis .. the turboforums.com is another very good one to sit and read through. Though you will be there for a LONG time trying to digest is all.

As for stock stuff, there is even going to be a "stock block" shoot out this spring. http://www.stockshortblockshootout.com/

I can only imagine how fast of times these guys are gonna post! There have been lots of cars well into the 9's and even 8 seconds with nothing but a turbo LSx setup.

That looks like it will be an awesome race to watch! Prob a whole lot of carnage to be seen.

Question though.... Ummmmm... How do they know that you have stock rods and crank? I've seen people have to pull valve covers for some sort of inspection. But how do you check for stock rods?

GeneralTJI
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
With a fast diesel truck you "get" more... HD truck capable of towing, hauling, 4x4 for weather/off road, better mileage etc. You also pay more for all this :( Fast gas car/truck you don't have the complete package, but you spend less.... somewhat relative I guess?

I love my car!! it's a blast to row through the gears... but there is something about stomping someone in a big heavy diesel truck that keeps us coming back and spending more money I guess :rofl:

McRat
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
If you take a stock Dmax, throw a $400 tuner on it, you have about 400rwhp (~530HP at the crank). No other changes necessary.

Where are you going to find a 530HP pickup that will actually tow anything?

taylorbok
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
If you take a stock Dmax, throw a $400 tuner on it, you have about 400rwhp (~530HP at the crank). No other changes necessary.

That right there is why the "average" guy loves diesels, he can put his tuner on and still tow his camper, sleds, car hauler every weekend. where to get that extra 150hp out of a gas engine is a few thousand dollars and a full motor build, vs plugging in a tuner and away you go.

Its the guys that are doing full motor builds on there d max that realise a race engine gas truck would be cheaper and faster. but you cant tow with the race truck

Kat
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
All I'm going to say is that I was faster in Casper then in the Meanie this day he towed me to the track :eek:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21023&d=1328905322

Harbin_22
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Little off subject... Dont you have to run huge injectors to run E85 in boosted stuff.

Iceman56
02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Check around again, in my area it has gone way up :( I run my wrx on e... it's downright amazing stuff. EGT's dropped about 200 degrees, so I can run much leaner afr's, more timing (can actually exceed MBT under big boost if your not careful).

It's very forgiving stuff... though it takes some time tweaking your tune to get it to start in cold weather... and economy goes down because you burn approx. 30% more... but well worth it for a performance application!!

I haven't looked for awhile I just thought that's about what it was, my bad... Yeah I have been doing some research on it, sounds awesome basically like alcohol. I guess you can run a ton of boost and cylinder pressure without DET.

I would love to run it in my turbo snowmobile but the cold start and bad economy wouldn't work the best for sledding

Iceman56
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM

This is what got us all hooked, but it's usually down hill from there or short after. Most usually take it too far and our trucks are either broke all the time or become useless in terms of a work truck.

Nothing can match a diesel with just a tune and exhaust for money and what we can do with it IMO. but building all out race trucks or street/race diesel trucks doesn't make as much sense to me as the cheap gassers

Dirtymaxx03
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
how long have people been building LS engines? A hellava lot longer than people have been building duramax's/diesels in general. I think the fact that the diesel performance scene is still fairly young is why parts are so expensive. Whats the industry going to look like in 30 years?

That being said, Im with trent. I like anything fast. I dont care if its a power chair. If it can put you back in the seat, i like it.

Dirtymaxx03
02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
what would it cost to build a 10 second extended cab short bed 5.3 chevy vs an extended cab short bed duramax?

x MadMAX DIESEL
02-10-2012, 03:03 PM
This is what got us all hooked, but it's usually down hill from there or short after. Most usually take it too far and our trucks are either broke all the time or become useless in terms of a work truck.

Nothing can match a diesel with just a tune and exhaust for money and what we can do with it IMO. but building all out race trucks or street/race diesel trucks doesn't make as much sense to me as the cheap gassers

x2

how long have people been building LS engines? A hellava lot longer than people have been building duramax's/diesels in general. I think the fact that the diesel performance scene is still fairly young is why parts are so expensive. Whats the industry going to look like in 30 years?

That being said, Im with trent. I like anything fast. I dont care if its a power chair. If it can put you back in the seat, i like it.

Well around here diesels are past there prime, atleast looking at street trucks. 2008 was the good stuff, now its just abunch of raggedy ass trucks clouding out intersections but there too ***** to race you. Than ricer fly by you when you get off. Pulling was its funnest than too, seems like the drag racing scene is getting better but I'm afraid this sport is on its way down.

PAT
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
That right there is why the "average" guy loves diesels, he can put his tuner on and still tow his camper, sleds, car hauler every weekend. where to get that extra 150hp out of a gas engine is a few thousand dollars and a full motor build, vs plugging in a tuner and away you go.

Its the guys that are doing full motor builds on there d max that realise a race engine gas truck would be cheaper and faster. but you cant tow with the race truck

Not quite. These guys bought everything. Spent a little over 3k and cranked out 1200hp. Few thousand for 150hp is far fetched.

GeneralTJI
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Little off subject... Dont you have to run huge injectors to run E85 in boosted stuff.

Yes... approx 30% larger. Actually you can get away with a little less... because you can run leaner under WOT so not quite 30% but you get the idea.

I'm running Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors this time around on my car, with raised pressure from my A1000 to get them up in the 1150cc range.. still going to be what limits my power output I'm afraid.... should make enough power to go 10's though and that's all that I need hp capability wise.

Micheal Tomac
02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
My cousin had a 09 GMC 1500 ECSB with the 6.0/6l80 that he put a $6000 magnacharger on. It ran good but he got tired of the single digit gas mileage. Now he has a 11 GMC 2500HD CCSB with a tune, intake & exhaust that runs as good, gets better mileage and can tow more.

JoshH
02-10-2012, 03:26 PM

That being said, Im with trent. I like anything fast. I dont care if its a power chair. If it can put you back in the seat, i like it.The gen III small block was introduced in '97, and the aftermarket industry jumped to support it. The Duramax was introduced in '01 and it took a couple of years for the aftermarket to really start building high performance parts for it. I would say the gasser has maybe an 8 year head start, but I don't think that has anything to do with how expensive a diesel is compared to a gasser.

what would it cost to build a 10 second extended cab short bed 5.3 chevy vs an extended cab short bed duramax?You could buy a whole truck and make it run 10s for less than what you would pay just to a motor build to be able to run 10s with a Duramax.

I hope no one thinks I'm talking down on a diesel. I love my truck, and I wouldn't trade it for any gasser pickup. I just was amazed at how cheap and "easy" it is to get power out of those motors, especially a little ol' 4.8. I would really like to see how that motor looked after a year of racing.

PAT
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
what would it cost to build a 10 second extended cab short bed 5.3 chevy vs an extended cab short bed duramax?

Idk about the 5.3... But these guys built a 1200hp motor on $3k.
Ummmmm.... $3k gets you 8 connecting rods for a dmax. They already have a running motor cranking out 1200hp at that point.

PAT
02-10-2012, 03:30 PM
The gen III small block was introduced in '97, and the aftermarket industry jumped to support it. The Duramax was introduced in '01 and it took a couple of years for the aftermarket to really start building high performance parts for it. I would say the gasser has maybe an 8 year head start, but I don't think that has anything to do with how expensive a diesel is compared to a gasser.

You could buy a whole truck and make it run 10s for less than what you would pay just to a motor build to be able to run 10s with a Duramax.

I hope no one thinks I'm talking down on a diesel. I love my truck, and I wouldn't trade it for any gasser pickup. I just was amazed at how cheap and "easy" it is to get power out of those motors, especially a little ol' 4.8. I would really like to see how that motor looked after a year of racing.

Why go a year racing the same one? Just buy a junk yard short block for $300 and have at it again.

duratothemax
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Qk9uU_3VHT0

IIRC these guys bought this ~200k miles junkyard 5.3 for 300 bucks or something like that...they never were able to kill it.

Dirtymaxx03
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Idk about the 5.3... But these guys built a 1200hp motor on $3k.
Ummmmm.... $3k gets you 8 connecting rods for a dmax. They already have a running motor cranking out 1200hp at that point.

thats absolutley crazy. 1200 bucks for 3k? why would anyone build anything else lol

JoshH
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Why go a year racing the same one? Just buy a junk yard short block for $300 and have at it again.

Swapping motors would get old. I just wonder how well it would hold up at that power.

JoshH
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
thats absolutley crazy. 1200 bucks for 3k? why would anyone build anything else lol

You got it backward.

Dirtymaxx03
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
You got it backward.

yeah i fudged that up pretty good.

KEVINL
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I am done with my truck perfomance wise I don't want to spend $20,000 to run mid 11's.

My truck is nearly paid off so probably in the next year I will get the G8 from my wife and get her a new Grand Cherokee.

With a cam, long tubes & a tune the 6.0 will put out 450 whp and spank my truck for 2,000-2500 bucks invested

PAT
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Swapping motors would get old. I just wonder how well it would hold up at that power.

I agree fully. Ive pulled a few of these lm7's and installed just as many. They really are not bad to work on. A lot of space is under that hood. But yes it would get old. But the guys in the link ran 60 pulls on the motor. They say that a majority of them were at 1000hp+ that's more wot than you would see in a season. If not more then it's close. After the seasons over, throw in another one lol and if you use it as a street truck, I'm sure it will last longer just bc who drives into work with 1200hp at wot? It would see maybe 3-400 on a daily basis. If that.

PAT
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM

To to YouTube and search "Corey's turbo truck" or go to sloppymechanics.com (his shops site) they put a s475 under the cab of the truck, and sprayed it with a stock motor all the way to an 11.3 I believe.

x MadMAX DIESEL
02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Qk9uU_3VHT0

IIRC these guys bought this ~200k miles junkyard 5.3 for 300 bucks or something like that...they never were able to kill it.

BoostedGT's car is probably the baddest street car around (at the start of that video). That car rolls, I'd LOVE to see it against one of the cdub dsm's out of Louisville!

PAT
02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Those guys are awesome. They are part of the whole sloppy mechanic shop. I visited their website after watching their truck run down the track. The threw a 150 shot at a gran marquis and put it on te dyno just because. Then played on the streets. Then they have the bad ass truck with stock motor, and they also blew up some other motor by throwing spray at it. Seem like some cool guys lol

duratothemax
02-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Seem like some cool guys lol

Yep! I know the sloppymechanics guys. :D

Last time I saw them they were still building the 5.0 mustang though, I havent been down there in quite a while.

Osubeaver
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM
I think once you get past the point of basic bolt on parts like a tune, streetable turbo(s), etc., yes we're doing it wrong. But it is pretty fun. Up until then I think it's a good idea.

To say you're going to go past that and have a 9 or 10 second truck that tows, gets good mileage, and is reliable in the long-term is a complete pipe dream :rofl: Of course this assumes it actually gets ran at the track, sled pulling or whatever.

Those of you know people with fast trucks see how much time they spend up on racks with the transmissions out or engines being worked on, etc. It's more than gets posted on the internet.

TheBac
02-11-2012, 11:35 AM
We need to start thinking "light". Less weight is free hp, and you can only do so much with a 3/4 ton truck.

x MadMAX DIESEL
02-11-2012, 12:05 PM
We need to start thinking "light". Less weight is free hp, and you can only do so much with a 3/4 ton truck.

Losing the rear bumper and spare I'm all for. But gutting an interior or running zero bed floor is too much for me. But you bring a valid point Tom.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PAT
02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Yep! I know the sloppymechanics guys. :D

Last time I saw them they were still building the 5.0 mustang though, I havent been down there in quite a while.

I wish I knew them! Just the stuff they have done and posted on their sight is hilarious.
I'm seriously contemplating selling my truck for an RC/SB 1500. I'm tired of the prices for everything on a dmax. Already did some shopping for a 1500

duratothemax
02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I wish I knew them! Just the stuff they have done and posted on their sight is hilarious.
I'm seriously contemplating selling my truck for an RC/SB 1500. I'm tired of the prices for everything on a dmax. Already did some shopping for a 1500

damn, that thing has an am/fm radio and a vortex? Does it come with a steering wheel too?

PAT
02-11-2012, 08:12 PM
damn, that thing has an am/fm radio and a vortex? Does it come with a steering wheel too?

Sure does! Had to get rid of the tape deck for it though. That's kind of weak. It's pretty darn cheap though.

GeneralTJI
02-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Vortex sounds neat... neat like those tornados you put in your intake tubing :thumb:

Schwinn68
02-12-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.streetfire.net/video/parrishs-turbo-truck_602.htm

Parish and his shortbed truck was my hero back around 2004 and 2005. He was cutting edge and nearly unbeatable with his tuck.

Schwinn68
02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Man this just brought back some memories! I just did a quick google search and this truck was making over 1000 rwhp back in 2006. If I'm not mistaken, its the same guys that would go on to build the fairmont mentioned above.

I've been tossing around the idea of a fun street truck again. I was thinking lb7 with a zf6 regular cab shortbed. It would be a 500 horse street machine. After reading this thread, a similar truck but with a v8 would work too. Only thing is the diesel should get mid to high 20's on fuel mileage whereas the v8 would get high teens.

duratothemax
02-13-2012, 08:22 AM
It would be a 500 horse street machine. After reading this thread, a similar truck but with a v8 would work too. Only thing is the diesel should get mid to high 20's on fuel mileage whereas the v8 would get high teens.

I thought the duramax and the LSx's were both V8's?

Schwinn68
02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I thought the duramax and the LSx's were both V8's?

Touche' Mr Benjamin!

I should have stated that the diesel v8 would get double the fuel mileage of the gasser v8. I've had both and am pretty confident in my statement ;)

All that good info and a link to Parish's twin turbo 1000 rwhp lsx truck and that's what you feel the need to quote me on? But I understand. I tend to pick apart statements the same way you do. Kinda fun actually and completely takes people off guard and causes them to loose track of what they were talking about in the first place

Cheers!

MACKIN
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
To be honest three years ago that is what I was doing. I wasn't going to spend 20K on go fast equipment for my Duramax and I started to build a car except the economy stuck it to me which ruined that!

I found me a light car (roller) which I knew would have ended up under 3000 pounds when completed. It had a complete fiberglass front clip. Things were good so I put a ton of money into the body which was in good shape but I wanted it perfect. Lots of fab work into the front clip and lower fenders. Forgetaboutit,makes me sad......

The nuts and bolts is I had a 340 professionally built locally,I wanted the best. The motor was bored and stroked to make 416 cubic inches with all Scat forged internals. I supplied (came with car) a good flowing port and polished set of heads. Motor was set up to run Pump fuel and dyno at 500 HP and 500 feet pound of torque which is big block numbers out of a small block all for $8000 bucks. I could have easily trimmed a couple G's off the engine build IF I went some where else also.

So for less than 20k I could have had a IMO a 10 second car for what it would have cost me just for a motor in my truck. I now we are talking GM here and parts are way more less expensive then Mopar parts also. This is just an example